No announcement yet.

Extras at campsites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone asked a site owner why they charge for an Awning?
    I have....
    He told me that often an awning may be left up for a week or so, with a groundsheet that is not "breathable". The result is dying grass, and he has to rest the pitch whilst it recovers.
    I guess he had a point......

Comment

Originally posted by Allen View Post
      Has anyone asked a site owner why they charge for an Awning?
      I have....
      He told me that often an awning may be left up for a week or so, with a groundsheet that is not "breathable". The result is dying grass, and he has to rest the pitch whilst it recovers.
      I guess he had a point......

In that case why not just charge for awnings with non breathable awnings.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Ireland

I am now into my second week touring Ireland and they charge extra for everything. 1 euro for a shower and some places 50 cents for hot water to wash up. Not ever where but it is not uncommon. However I am having the most brilliant time and have been working my way around the coast. Dingle and Slea head the most spectacular. I have been charged a lot less being on my own. I am in Westport on the west coast. Stunning location. I have paid 16 euros but that includes electric and showers and as much hot water as I want. My new venture surf is admired wherever I go and I could have sold it 6 times! No-one seems to have seen one this small. It is large motorhome s that they are used to. The first offer I had was from the skipper of a boat I had taken a trip on. I can recommend sites and places to see if anyone is considering Ireland. The weather is not Benidorm which was quoted in an earlier post as way of avoiding bad weather but the scenery is truly breathtaking and everyone I have met has been so friendly and welcoming. The countryside is lush and green and there is so much to see and do. I have learned a lot and enjoyed every minute. Much more than I could have imagined. I have no desire to see the parched earth I remember in Spain. Yes it has rained but the sun has shone too and I have walked every day. I tried to upload photos but hopeless as usual. Next meet in September I would like a lesson please.
        Patricia

Comment

Oooh Patricia I do envy you! I have been to R.I twice before and loved every minute. Another visit is on my bucket list!

Yes, I too had some rainy days to contend with on my visits but equally some beautiful sunshine. I don't know whether I'd need a pet passport for Echo to go to R.I.? Probably not but I'd need to check to make sure the rules haven't changed since my last visit. I also found the people very friendly, laid back and helpful.

I would much rather go to R.I. than Spain; I don't do heat! However, passing a newspaper stand yesterday I noticed a headline blaring out "3 Months of Glorious Weather" so who needs to go abroad? Also my home based holidays keep my money in the UK economy.

Enjoy the rest of your trip Patricia!
          Cynthia.

Comment

Yes Cynthia, you do need a pet passport. In my camping site book it says dog, cat, or ferret all need a passport!
            I forgot to mention driving here. Bliss. The roads are empty unless you go into the cities which I don't and the signage is excellent. Better than my home area. Even small minority roads have signs. I am not on commission from the Irish tourist board by the way.
            Patricia

Comment

It's not all bad news . Travelling in Europe I found most sites would point me to the best deal available. A couple of times I was only charged the tent rate as the Roma was so small.
              Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

Originally posted by PHM View Post
                Yes Cynthia, you do need a pet passport. In my camping site book it says dog, cat, or ferret all need a passport!
                I forgot to mention driving here. Bliss. The roads are empty unless you go into the cities which I don't and the signage is excellent. Better than my home area. Even small minority roads have signs. I am not on commission from the Irish tourist board by the way.
                Patricia
                Thanks for that Patricia, the rules have changed since I last visited the R.I.!

The only area I haven't yet visited in Ireland is the Ring of Kerry and along the south west coast. Are you planning to visit those areas?

I was interested to read of your praise of the Irish road system being very quiet. I found that too, but the downside was the bad state of repair of many of them. By the time I reached the first site the caravan had been bounced about so badly, almost every item from the top cupboards was on the floor!
                Still very much wanting to go back though, and if I go in the Gobur I will not have any upper cupboards to worry about!
                Cynthia.

Comment

I went to Kerry and then Dingle. I went round Slea head which was so narrow there was little between me and the Atlantic. Better than the Ring of Kerry I was told. I wasn't disappointed. I stayed at the campsite furthest West in Europe. Next stop America. Blasket islands I had read books on and well worth visiting Cynthia. A lot of money was spent in the boom years and the roads are fine. It is a real mix of old and modern. Wifi everywhere and always seems to be included. Eating out is expensive but I don't anyway. Today I am in Strand Hill near Sligo and the Surf looks like Hawiwii apart from the weather. It is dry and the sun is out but not hot. Lots of surfers out. Training school here but I haven't really got the time. That's the only reason I'm not giving it a go you understand.
                  I have a view of the sea from my van and can hear the waves crashing onto the shore.
                  My best trip so far.
                  Patricia

Comment

We're actually in France at the moment but not in the van we're staying on camp sites in rented chalets. We started in Honfleur in a hotel then went to Brittany, then the Atlantic Coast just past La Rochelle and now we're near Deauville in Normandy. We have missed the van terribly there is not the same freedom staying in Chalets. We froze in Brittany and got eaten alive on the Atlantic Coast by mossies. I would not exchange holidays abroad in Europe for holidays in the U.k because I would miss the ability to visit all the historical sites and the living museums we have at home. I enjoy Normandy because of the abundance of WW 2 museums here, likewise Northern France around Vimy Ridge and Beaumont Hamel with the WW1 associations but I think I've been to every Chateau on the Loire and frankly they did nothing for me at all. I have never found the equivalent of the Black Country Museum or Beamish in my travels around France and Germany they may exist but I've not found them. What I am looking forward to is coming home and going off in the van, for me there is nothing like it.
                    Janet

Comment

It appears to me there are plenty of dog unfriendly sites and also plenty of dog friendly - so people can make an informed choice.

There are iresponsible dog owners who do not pick-up after their pooches, there are iresponsible smokers who drop their stubbs, there are i9responsible parents and grand-parents who do not control their progeny.

We have to live with them if we opt to camp on campsites. I think provided the owners are up-front about their charges it is fine - as customers we have the option to vote with our feet. Maybe it is time for people to use the internet to start a campaign, not to use those sites that charge for awnings. If it gathered enough support soon campsite owners would be dropping these charges.

In the defence of site owners I would say the Spanish Site can operate 52 weeks of the year a site in the UK is pushing it to do 26 weeks plus a couple of weeks Christmas New Year - but the overheads are much the same.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        In that case why not just charge for awnings with non breathable awnings.
                        In my experience of groundsheets (not huge admittedly, not being a regular user of an awning) even the 'breathable' ones cause the grass to suffer a bit.

Just sayin'.....!

Jon:
                        a site in the UK is pushing it to do 26 weeks plus a couple of weeks Christmas New Year - but the overheads are much the same.

Isn't the opening season of UK campsites dependent on permission from the local council? Certainly when I enquired why the site near Newbury was only open from March to October the proprietor told me those were the limits set by the council for the conditions of his licence as a camp site.

I'm not sure whether the C&CC and CMC are restricted in the same way.
                        Cynthia.
                        Last edited by CyberCynth; 14-06-2017, 22:54. Reason: Added a paragraph

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Hi Fletch, I love camping on the continent but it's not very economical to say I'll only camp in France or Spain! What about the cost of the ferry, the fuel and road tolls?
                          Once you are there for over a week it is cheaper than staying in the UK on one of those thieving camp sites. I am now at the end of nearly 4 weeks on the Isle of Man and haven't paid a penny to a camp site. I know where all the flat car parks are, with no night time noise, I know that every harbour has a free water tap and toilets, so we have not had to pay a penny to any greedy site owners. I have of course also enjoyed the free TT spectating, free buses everywhere as we have IOM bus passes, -er - well that is about the sum of the free stuff. Trouble is the ferry fee was £290 for a 6.5m motorhome. So I suppose you could say the cost was really £10 a night for 4 weeks on the Isle of Man. Better than £30 a night to park in a field in England.
                          In that day you will cry out because of your king you have chosen. 1 Samuel v18

Comment

Originally posted by The Sitter View Post
                            . . . I have never found the equivalent of the Black Country Museum or Beamish in my travels around France and Germany they may exist but I've not found them. . . .
                            Janet
                            Janet, you might be interested in the Zepplin museum in Friedrichshafen. It shows the development of airships with many rebuilt sections of the aluminium frames, how they developed the frames over the years to make them stronger and lighter. There are cut away sectioned engines, the huge Mercedes petrol engines and how they developed. There is a replica inside of the passenger accommodation with restaurant, cabins and so on. Also there is the only remaining part of the Graf Zepplin that blew up (actually it burned fast, upwards if you study the film, it didn't blow up, and not many were killed). Also they show how the bags of (eek, was it hydrogen, I forget!) were located inside the framework and how the engineers crawled around. Next door is the Zepplin factory where they still make them and if you are rich you can go up in a ride in one. It is very well worth travelling to. It's at the bottom of Germany. From there you pop across the borders into Switzerland and Austria, just so you can say you have been there. About 20 miles later you have done 3 countries in a day! You need good brakes though, those Alps are steep.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                              Once you are there for over a week it is cheaper than staying in the UK on one of those thieving camp sites. I am now at the end of nearly 4 weeks on the Isle of Man and haven't paid a penny to a camp site. I know where all the flat car parks are, with no night time noise, I know that every harbour has a free water tap and toilets, so we have not had to pay a penny to any greedy site owners. I have of course also enjoyed the free TT spectating, free buses everywhere as we have IOM bus passes, -er - well that is about the sum of the free stuff. Trouble is the ferry fee was £290 for a 6.5m motorhome. So I suppose you could say the cost was really £10 a night for 4 weeks on the Isle of Man. Better than £30 a night to park in a field in England.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay £30pn for a pitch in a field! Where do you find such expensive pitches Andrew??? You don't don't HAVE to pay such extortionate pitch fees! There are many CSs/CLs/THSs only a third of that price, (or less!) and I'd still rather park in a field in the UK than pitch in a car park - Ooooh, lovely. Still, if that's what ticks your boxes...
                              Cynthia.

Comment

For the last couple of nights I have been parked on East Quay, Peel, Isle of Man.
                                Here is the satellite view:
                                https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Pe...54.2259451!1m0

That's what I call a car park.
                                When I was a member of one of the CCCC&CC type clubs I saw lots of £30 a night to park in a field places.

Comment