No announcement yet.

Extras at campsites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groundsheets. I rarely use mine, I just use the grass inside the awning as a carpet! I will only use a partial groundsheet or a mat if the ground is a bit muddy.

I agree, if an awning fits on your pitch, then you shouldn't be charged extra for it. But if you saw some of the whopper caravans and huge awnings I have occasionally come across, then I think these should be charged for - an an extra price for extra electricity as well, as these are the folk who usually have fan heaters and halogen heaters going at full blast in their awnings!

Comment

Aye, jayjay you have a point there. Things have progressed a bit since I wor'a'lad. When I started camping you put the tent and whatever else you could carry on the back of your bike, and if you were posh you had a front carrier and maybe even saddle bags and panniers to put more stuff in. Then at the end of the day you found a bit of scrap land or a farm where you could ask, and stopped there for the night. Rub a couple of Boy Scouts together to make a fire, cook the fish you caught in the river and brew a cup of tea.
      Then you graduated to Youth Hostels, and it was all downhill to glorious comfort from then on.
      In that day you will cry out because of your king you have chosen. 1 Samuel v18

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
        Once you are there for over a week it is cheaper than staying in the UK on one of those thieving camp sites. I am now at the end of nearly 4 weeks on the Isle of Man and haven't paid a penny to a camp site. I know where all the flat car parks are, with no night time noise, I know that every harbour has a free water tap and toilets, so we have not had to pay a penny to any greedy site owners. I have of course also enjoyed the free TT spectating, free buses everywhere as we have IOM bus passes, -er - well that is about the sum of the free stuff. Trouble is the ferry fee was £290 for a 6.5m motorhome. So I suppose you could say the cost was really £10 a night for 4 weeks on the Isle of Man. Better than £30 a night to park in a field in England.

Ah, here we go again the old argument about wildcamping v campsites. It all depends on your preferred way of camping, personally we like to find a campsite in a nice location and stay for a few days, get the chairs out, a glass or two of wine, set up the BBQ etc., you can't really do that on a car park or harbour. As I say each to their own, I can see why free camping, staying one night then moving on may appeal to some but it's not for us.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
          Janet, you might be interested in the Zepplin museum in Friedrichshafen. It shows the development of airships with many rebuilt sections of the aluminium frames, how they developed the frames over the years to make them stronger and lighter. There are cut away sectioned engines, the huge Mercedes petrol engines and how they developed. There is a replica inside of the passenger accommodation with restaurant, cabins and so on. Also there is the only remaining part of the Graf Zepplin that blew up (actually it burned fast, upwards if you study the film, it didn't blow up, and not many were killed). Also they show how the bags of (eek, was it hydrogen, I forget!) were located inside the framework and how the engineers crawled around. Next door is the Zepplin factory where they still make them and if you are rich you can go up in a ride in one. It is very well worth travelling to. It's at the bottom of Germany. From there you pop across the borders into Switzerland and Austria, just so you can say you have been there. About 20 miles later you have done 3 countries in a day! You need good brakes though, those Alps are steep.
          Some years ago, I knew a very old lady who in her salad days had been a hostess on the Graf Zeppelin flying from Friedrichshafen to Buenos Ares.It was a regular run and she made 9 Atlantic crossings while working for the company. The airship had luxury cabins, a smoking veranda, a full kitchen with chefs, a dining room, and a dance room with baby grand piano.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I didn't even know till recently that what I personally enjoy is now referred to as "wild camping". It used to just be called "camping".

Not sure why there is any argument at all over peoples individual choices. Providing of course that people don't attempt to force their own choices onto others. I wouldn't wish to influence anyone at all to change their preferences. I'm very grateful that so many people do enjoy organised and managed campsites. There would be far less good spots available if they all went out on the road.

Camping existed, long before the potential for it's regulation and commercial exploitation were realised. It would be unfortunate if the increasingly regularly expressed criticisms of unregulated camping from many quarters were to curtail the nearest thing to freedom we are still allowed to experience in decreasing areas of the country.

It's also seems strange that it's corollary isn't now referred to as "tame camping".

Comment

Links not working.
              Last edited by Dapple; 15-06-2017, 12:19.

Comment

lz127-dining-room-385x267.jpg
                Dinner on the Graf Zeppelin

But I heard that the brochure was somewhat exaggerated:-

Top-Gear-airship-c_1538622c.jpg

Comment

hoversheet

orf to Oz in August. number two son tells me we are going camping! I told him, "as long as the groundsheet is five feet off the ground"! happy days.

Comment

If we are swapping Friedrichshafen photos

dscf5498.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                      If we are swapping Friedrichshafen photos

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14073[/ATTACH]
                      Ah the lengths we have to go to to get a wifi signal!

Comment

Dapple if you are referring to the antennas on the van (not mine by the way) - it was taken at Friedrichshafen Amateur Radio Convention - the largest such gathering in Europe

Aerials are taken seriously
                        dscf5494.jpg

dscf5500.jpg

dscf5502.jpg

The span of that tripod in the middle picture was HUGE, probably about 10m between legs. And yes the bloke in the bottom picture standing in a pose that considerably exaggerates his beer gut (honest) is indeed me. Fortunately I've either lost a bit of that paunch or have at least learned better posture in the 5 years since that picture. Must learn to use Photoshop too!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                          Dapple if you are referring to the antennas on the van (not mine by the way) - it was taken at Friedrichshafen Amateur Radio Convention - the largest such gathering in Europe
                          . _ . 5 x 5

Comment

That must be the aire I stayed at. I seem to remember it cost 3 Euros a night. That's why I remember it, I had to pay something! Oh NO. When I was there though it wasn't crowded like that, there was me and one other camper.
                            What struck me about the cut-away Mercedes engines was that the inlet and exhaust manifold designers obviously didn't talk to the cylinder head designers. The heads had 4 valves per cylinder indicating that they realised that moving air had mass, and yet the inlet and exhaust manifolds were just one long pipe with many right angled take-off points. No air flow design in them at all.
                            We liked the restaurant!

Comment

Ah. Thinking back many decades to my City and Guilds Advanced Radio Communication course at tech college I recognise those antennas.
                              The top one is a load of carbon fibre fishing rods, which happen to conduct electricity.
                              The next one is a BBC TV UHF 405 line one.
                              Below that is a WW2 direction finding antenna used by the Nazis to locate Renee's illicit transmitter hidden under Granny's bed.

Comment

Hi Graham,
                                On our recent expedition the extras encountered in Germany, Denmark, Sweden as considerable. £1.50 for a shower in Norway, Copenhagen charge per kWhr for electric, we have a lock on our hookup bollard to stop people hooking up without paying, quite right as we have paid. We did see a guy charging his bike battery, he had no hookup but was plugging in his battery for recharge, German I might add!!
                                We are on the most expensive site in Gothenburg today £40 per night but everything is included. Showers, electric 10amps, wifi, but wow!! It's only 2 nights for us. We knew the Germans charged for showers from a previous visit to the Mosel but Scandanavia is expensive, Norway being top of the list. See my post about Road Tolls. Still it's nice to visit. And, the roads in Germany North of the Mosel are terrible. The A1 up to Hamburg and beyond is dangerous with the speed they drive at, plus many road works and very busy traffic. Not looking forward to Hamburg to Bremen on our return trip.

Comment