This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polarity

I'm trying to prepare for our trip to France, and have a question re polarity issues - I've got a polarity tester, and know that if it shows reverse polarity, I should do a spot of re wiring. Can I simply get another continental converter/adapter so that I have 2 them and reverse the wires in one, to use when the polarity is reversed, or do I have to rewire my actual ehu lead? (and if it's my actual ehu lead do I have to do both ends? )
    Thanks! I've got thoroughly confused trying to read up about it!

Thanks too for booting my query back up Ian!
    Last edited by VonUK; 27-03-2011, 20:25.

Originally posted by VonUK View Post
    I'm trying to prepare for our trip to France, and have a question re polarity issues - I've got a polarity tester, and know that if it shows reverse polarity, I should do a spot of re wiring. Can I simply get another continental converter/adapter so that I have 2 them and reverse the wires in one, to use when the polarity is reversed, or do I have to rewire my actual ehu lead? (and if it's my actual ehu lead do I have to do both ends? )
    Thanks! I've got thoroughly confused trying to read up about it!
    Sorry Von I didnt mean to knock your post out,so Ive put it back,I have seen adverts in camping stores for a "cross polarity "adaptor for use in France,
    Try Amazon or Ebay.

Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

We have two short leads with french plug on one end and a connection for our EHU at the other. One of them has been rewired for opposite polarity.

The only times we have come across reverse polarity on french sockets never on the blue sockets in France. Having said that I bet that we will find one this time and then we will have to think of a solution. (It was recommended on another forum that you have a short lead with a blue plug on one end and a blue socket on the other and that you reverse wire the plug, so that if you come across reverse polarity you use this connection as an addition. I might make one before we go this time.)

Comment

Yvonne

We carry our usual ehu lead with normal plug and socket also a French two pin lead and a self made short plug and socket lead with the live and neutral leads crossed over.(Marked on the plug and socket with an X)
        As soon as we get on site in France we plug in the tester and if polarity is wrong we fit the made up lead between the 2 pin lead and the normal cable, then correct polarity should show on tester.
        We have been on sites where we fit the leads but other Brits seem oblivious to the crossover, and plug their leads in.
        O.K., but can cause problems if using a dodgy appliance.
        As Peter said the blue sockets have never been a problem.
        Clear as mud!
        To answer your question Yvonne the short lead is effectively a normal lead with the Live and Neutral crossed over. You don't want to be rewiring your normal lead every time, so the short lead is inserted to do the job.

Tony Anchorman
        Last edited by anchorman; 27-03-2011, 19:18.

Comment

Thanks folks, I think I've got it now - I take 2 two pin French converters, one of which is rewired and clearly marked cross polarity, use the usual hook up blue plug in blue euro sockets, and hope I don't come across a rare one of these which has reverse polarity I just love this site, people are so helpful - thanks again.

Thanks too for bumping the post back up Ian, much appreciated!
          Last edited by VonUK; 27-03-2011, 20:26.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X