X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the future?

I have just come across these vans on a You Tube Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdI9dkEWf0
    Some are impressive and others well you just wonder - interestingly one was launched at the NEC
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Very interesting but how much longer will we be able to enjoy camping / caravanning as we know it? Diesel will be very hard to find within five years and petrol will disappear soon after. That leaves you with electric. Towing a caravan? Five miles between re charges?
    Maybe buy a steam engine and pull it at five mph. and you'd have to be Superman to pull one behind a push bike.

Enjoy what you have while you still have it.

Comment

You can always have the VeeDub 300 miles between charges - wild camping - erect windmill and have to stay a couple of days recharging Just enjoy what we have.
      I am not as pessamistic as you - I think petrol will be around for a long time (longer than the remaining years of my life - will I live to be a centenarian driver ?)
      Jon

Comment

We are still a long way from all electric vehicles supplanting petrol altogether. I think within the next 3 years all new cars on sale will become hybrids to some degree or another and small capacity diesels will disappear within the same timescale. Towing with a hybrid car will be entirely possible though, many current hybrids are rated to tow so i am not too worried about that. I think it very likely that out next car will be a hybrid.
        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I repeatedly hear/read that, despite the problems caused in urban areas by its emissions, diesel is still environmentally preferable on long journeys on motorways and/or dual carriageways.

That suggests to me that a diesel/electric hybrid would be a good option.
          Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
            I repeatedly hear/read that, despite the problems caused in urban areas by its emissions, diesel is still environmentally preferable on long journeys on motorways and/or dual carriageways.

That suggests to me that a diesel/electric hybrid would be a good option.
            I think you are probably on the ball at least in the immediate term - a lot of the recent commitment by manufacturers and governments have been vague enough to include hybrids of all sorts -
            Some hybrids are mainly petrol or diesel fuelled with some added performance from the electric motor / generation like F1 and LMP sports cars
            Some are hybrids with large electric motors with a petrol diesel engine which serves as a generator to top up the batteries and effectively extend the range
            Finally there are the pure electric vehicles.

I was interested to read in todays "i" newspaper BA has replaced its diesel tugs with electric ones for moving aircraft at Heathrow.

Jon

Comment

Meanwhile in Italy diesel is cheaper than petrol because it's better for the environment. Also I see that in some city centres the carabinieri are using Citroën Zoe electric cars. Probably greener but they might just enjoy sneaking up behind people and scaring them.

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

I think you are probably on the ball at least in the immediate term - a lot of the recent commitment by manufacturers and governments have been vague enough to include hybrids of all sorts -
                Some hybrids are mainly petrol or diesel fuelled with some added performance from the electric motor / generation like F1 and LMP sports cars
                Some are hybrids with large electric motors with a petrol diesel engine which serves as a generator to top up the batteries and effectively extend the range
                Finally there are the pure electric vehicles.

I was interested to read in todays "i" newspaper BA has replaced its diesel tugs with electric ones for moving aircraft at Heathrow.

Jon
                Technically speaking range extenders are not hybrids - They are electric vehicles because the combustion engine serves only as a generator and does not have a mechanical connection to the wheels. There are very few of these around at the moment but soon they will be on every street in the Country as the new London Black Cab is a range extended E.V.

Comment

when it does remember it was on top gear first!
                  Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
                    Meanwhile in Italy diesel is cheaper than petrol because it's better for the environment. Also I see that in some city centres the carabinieri are using Citroën Zoe electric cars. Probably greener but they might just enjoy sneaking up behind people and scaring them.
                    Jon I really enjoy the idea of a pair of grinning Carabinieri sneaking up on people - if I could draw I'd draw a cartoon with one of them leaning out to pinch a girl derriere

It is just a product of a twisted mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post

Technically speaking range extenders are not hybrids - They are electric vehicles because the combustion engine serves only as a generator and does not have a mechanical connection to the wheels. There are very few of these around at the moment but soon they will be on every street in the Country as the new London Black Cab is a range extended E.V.
                      It seems to me whether a vehicle is a hybrid or an electric fitted with a range extender is a matter of semantics. The vehicle will still be running its "environmentally unfriendly" ic engine for some of the operating time.
                      In truth a lot of this is not new technology - merely improvements to electric motors. Although Batteries have changed and improved beyond what could have been imagined. Linking Internal Combustion engines and Electric Motors as motive power units (as in an EV )has been done for over a century both in submarines and railway locomotives.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

It seems to me whether a vehicle is a hybrid or an electric fitted with a range extender is a matter of semantics. The vehicle will still be running its "environmentally unfriendly" ic engine for some of the operating time.
                        In truth a lot of this is not new technology - merely improvements to electric motors. Although Batteries have changed and improved beyond what could have been imagined. Linking Internal Combustion engines and Electric Motors as motive power units (as in an EV )has been done for over a century both in submarines and railway locomotives.
                        Jon
                        You are right in what you say but the technological differences between a hybrid and a range exteder are quite significant so it's important to make the distinction i think.

The electric car has been around at least as long as the combustion engined car has. In America, the electric car was the dominant type of vehicle from the late 1800's up until about 1905. They still sold in steady numbers right up to 1912 when petrol became the dominant powerhouse. Ever wondered why virtually all American cars are automatic? It's because for a long time in their early automotive history, gear-less electric cars were the norm so the petrol powered rivals went automatic as well in a bid to beat them.

Comment

Love the self-driving VW, it's adorable and you can start relaxing even before you arrive at your destination! No more boring motorway journeys I wonder when we'll start seeing charging points at camping sites, and how much would it cost to plug in not just your toaster but the whole vehicle??

I haven't read much about hybrids' capabilities but now I'm wondering if towing is done with the petrol engine and not with the electric one on? Things about torque and stuff perhaps. I suppose the commercial vehicles would be different, like the ones towing planes - for one thing they don't have to worry about the weight of the engine or battery life so they can be much more easily tweaked to be powerful on short distances.

And I don't see any effort at all being put towards building a small electric motorhome. The one from the show is a 9-metre something and I can imagine the price. Seems that everybody's going to be glamping in the near future

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
                          Diesel will be very hard to find within five years
                          Whoa. I'm curious where are you getting that information from? Last I heard it was 15-20 years till new diesels get banned. Considering there will still be old diesels on the road after that, I can't believe the five year thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                            Ever wondered why virtually all American cars are automatic? It's because for a long time in their early automotive history, gear-less electric cars were the norm so the petrol powered rivals went automatic as well in a bid to beat them.
                            I always thought it was because stick was too complex to drive That's interesting though. Do you have links to any examples of early electric cars? I know they aren't a new thing, but I never though they were actually used on the road. I've seen steam cars though and they are awesome! And still going!

Comment

Originally posted by Chumsley View Post
                              Love the self-driving VW, it's adorable and you can start relaxing even before you arrive at your destination! No more boring motorway journeys I wonder when we'll start seeing charging points at camping sites, and how much would it cost to plug in not just your toaster but the whole vehicle??

I haven't read much about hybrids' capabilities but now I'm wondering if towing is done with the petrol engine and not with the electric one on? Things about torque and stuff perhaps. I suppose the commercial vehicles would be different, like the ones towing planes - for one thing they don't have to worry about the weight of the engine or battery life so they can be much more easily tweaked to be powerful on short distances.

And I don't see any effort at all being put towards building a small electric motorhome. The one from the show is a 9-metre something and I can imagine the price. Seems that everybody's going to be glamping in the near future

Whoa. I'm curious where are you getting that information from? Last I heard it was 15-20 years till new diesels get banned. Considering there will still be old diesels on the road after that, I can't believe the five year thing.

There is a camper conversion available on the electric version of the Nissan NV200 - think it may be a Danbury conversion but don't quote me. There are also fully electric versions of the Kangoo and Berlingo available to buy now so i expect it will only be a matter of time before someone starts doing camper conversions based on them. The new range extended London Taxi i mentioned earlier in the thread is going to donate it's platform and drive train to a new small delivery van so thats another possible source for a conversion when it goes on sale.

The UK has said it will ban sales of petrol only or diesel only vehicles by 2040 - but it is expected that most cars on sale at that point will be hybrids rather than EV's so they will still require traditional fuels.

My personal feeling is that small cars, fiesta sized and below, will go all electric and anything bigger will all be hybrids of one type or another. A company called Delta have developed a very small and very efficient turbine engine that is half the size and half the weight of even the smallest available petrol engine. It is set to debut next year as a range extender in a new British designed electric car called the Alcraft GT. It will be ridiculously expensive 4 seat sports car but it will serve as a test bed for the technology and if it proves durable i think we will see a lot more small turbines being used as onboard generators. Not only are they compact and light but they should deliver incredible fuel economy and be extremely clean burning, emitting hardly any particulate matter and very little nitrous oxide making them a much more environmentally friendly choice as a range extender. With a built in generator you can afford to have much smaller/fewer batteries on board which reduces weight and improves packaging.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X