Looking at vans.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at vans.

Anyone any thoughts on an older hitop - vw.
    ie trident VW - circa early 1990s?
    her indoors really fancies one.

saying that she also fancies an eriba puck aswell.

I just want a great big ducato or relay based motorhome but she's worried they wont drive well.
    I keep telling her that these big vans are easy to drive. I always have no trouble when i hire on of those long wheel based transits, but shes having none of it.

I think she just likes to rough it a bit, feels more like camping i suppose.
    my idea of camping is setting up the tv and the playstation and pretending it's home. Guess i have missed the point!
    Last edited by llywelyn1984; 04-10-2017, 08:51 AM.

The Trident is the high top version of my Trooper.

They may be fine for young athletic types and I cope as there's only one of me (and the dog) but I'd go for something with a bit more comfort and a bathroom as there's two of you.

Ditto the Eriba Puck - no bathroom.

Comment

Llewelyn If you get a VW Trident - on the plus side Auto Sleeper make nice vans, on the negative side you pay a VW surcharge. For some weird reason there nis "snob" value to VW based vans. I had a Renault Trafic over 25 years old - a couple of insurers said we only insure camper vans that age if they are VWs
      Again on the plus side VW have a "heritage" parts stock - a mate got spares (shipped direct from Germany) for his LT based camper.
      btw In my experience (Renault Trafics) AS are not at all helpfull about support for older vans - not like Romahome.
      Have you thought about a Romahome R30
      Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

That's interesting caz, how do you find it, what engine do you have? I think the bed would be a tad cosy for two...could always sleep upstairs in a hightop.

jon I have considered an r30 but price puts me off plus it's not cool enough for her!

Comment

Llewelyn there is a test reports here
          https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/r...ooper-low-line
          http://autosleeper.vwt4camper.info/h...r_trident.html
          As Caz said for that size van you don't / wont get a separate toilet compartment - although paradoxically the same size Peugot based AutoSleeper Symphony has a proper on board toilet
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7veNtQXeq3c
          Both are based on same type of van - but I suppose the Peugot is not as COOL as a VW - you make the choice.
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
            That's interesting caz, how do you find it, what engine do you have? I think the bed would be a tad cosy for two...could always sleep upstairs in a hightop.

jon I have considered an r30 but price puts me off plus it's not cool enough for her!
            Some roof beds are only suitable for kids as there can be a weight limit. I used to use an A/S harmony 2+2 the roof bunk had a max weight of 50kg.
            But it wasn't used by us, so will work as a 2 berth. The other thing is that the beds use the front seats , to allow room at the back for a loo compartment. It was a great van and layout but some don't like using front seas for the bed.

Julie

Comment

The Harmony, Symphony & Symbol were based on the Sevel van - usually the Boxer although I have seen the odd Relay or Ducato. Their layout is different as the vans are wider, longer and squarer than the VWs. They have the same layout as the Romahome Dimension/R30 - the bed/s are made from the seating at the front and can be either 2 narrow singles or a huge double.

The Trooper & Trident have a rock 'n roll bed. It is 3ft 9 inches at the front and tapers slightly towards the back so is very cosy for 2 adults. I have spent a few nights away in mine sharing with my adult daughter. It was not the best nights' sleep I've ever had. Even the dog & I sometimes have a bit of an argument when he wants to lay in the middle.

They were both sold by Autosleeper as 2 + 2 berths as there are beds that go in the roof, but they are recommended for children only, I think the max weight is 75Kgs so one small adult might get away with it. I took the bed boards out of mine as they severely restrict headroom even when pushed back.

For me the lack of a bathroom is the main issue as it means no privacy when using the toilet - ok in the middle of the night, but in daytime it means closing all the curtains and blinds, not good if you are in a hurry!

Apart from that, it's a great little motor. Mine is a 2004 with the 2.5Tdi engine. I regularly get about 37 mpg using round home or on fast motorway runs; when touring around Scotland and France it was nearer mid 40s (lower speeds and steady driving).

It's a handy size for using in place of a car as it fits in parking spaces. Very handy for manoeuvering compared to bigger vans, really good all round vision. Most of the time I love it, but I do keep getting van envy when I meet up with friends with bigger vans.

Comment

When I was looking for a small caravan, I had a look at the Eriba Puck. It was so small inside, it gave me a bout of claustrophobia. TBH I wouldn't have one if it was given to me! They are very well designed, but just too darned small. Also vastly overpriced as well compared to other, more conventional caravans!

Comment

Well I woke up this morning and found a flat tyre on my van which is unrepairable!
                  it must be a sign?
                  Ok so eribas are out. To be honest if I have a van I'd like a toilet cubicle/shower. (I can shower in about 30 secs if my hair is short enough with a bit of pre soaping! - sorry for the grim image)

Comment

The ideal combo would be a t4 or t5 type owing a caravan! But that's a bit ott!!

Comment

Sorry I can't help - if your wife thinks Romahomes are uncool she's beyond help

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
                        The ideal combo would be a t4 or t5 type owing a caravan! But that's a bit ott!!
                        I saw an outfit like that recently on Ebay. The price was around £20K I think, might have been more. And it was sprayed bright orange, and so was the little caravan on tow....

Comment

Id be quite happy with an r20 or r30/dimension but she's not taken!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                            Sorry I can't help - if your wife thinks Romahomes are uncool she's beyond help
                            Any therapists?

Comment

Fiat Ducatos are brilliant for driving. I have got a 6.3mtr one that I think is J U S T big enough to use as a camper and J U S T small enough to use as a car. So when my car goes Bang I will run the Ducato as both camper and car. I don't need a car for shopping - we live 10 mins walk from the shops, and as I am retired I don't need one for going to work. You won't catch me paying £4000 extra for a VW badge. Remind wifey that if you get one of those, you will have to get outside to make the bed up, and get dressed / undressed in the torrential thunderstorm outside the van. There isn't any standing space inside with the bed made up. You will need to park near a hedge to use as a toilet.
                              The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X