No announcement yet.

Conversation with the Camping and Caravan Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought: if you are a single person with a pet and have to pay for two people plus the pet, why not just sign in as for example 'Tom and Foxy' or 'Dave and Buzz'? You just pay for the two people which apparently is the same price as one person. If questioned you just say "that's not a pet, that's my other half".
    The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

I found this interesting today..

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...alised-pricing

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
        Just a thought: if you are a single person with a pet and have to pay for two people plus the pet, why not just sign in as for example 'Tom and Foxy' or 'Dave and Buzz'? You just pay for the two people which apparently is the same price as one person. If questioned you just say "that's not a pet, that's my other half".
        I have been to a couple of sites where they have said they would count the dog as the second person, so not charge for him, but I went to one near Hinckley where she flatly refused this and insisted I paid the extra £1 for the dog even though I was paying for two people and there was only one of me.

Comment

Originally posted by NiedrigerIQ View Post
          Very interesting article, particularly this: "In 2014, the US Department of Transportation approved a system allowing airlines and travel companies to collect passengers’ data to present them with “personalised offerings” based on their address, their marital status, their birthday and their travel history. It’s not hard to imagine that the fares you are offered might be higher than for others if, say, you live in an affluent postcode and your husband’s birthday is coming up."

Comment

Surely you didn't stay there, Caz? I would have walked out of the office, muttering something inaudible under my breath. Then leave tyre marks as you leave the premises at high speed.
            That data collection sounds very familiar. Lots of shops WERE asking customers for their email address "because we always send the purchase receipt by email". Oh no you don't, the customer is entitled to a receipt at the point of sale. I think they have dropped it now, I haven't been asked for my email address at point of sale for some time.
            Last edited by gasgas; 20-11-2017, 10:44 AM.
            The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
              Surely you didn't stay there, Caz? I would have walked out of the office, muttering something inaudible under my breath. Then leave tyre marks as you leave the premises at high speed.
              That data collection sounds very familiar. Lots of shops WERE asking customers for their email address "because we always send the purchase receipt by email". Oh no you don't, the customer is entitled to a receipt at the point of sale. I think they have dropped it now, I haven't been asked for my email address at point of sale for some time.
              I was asked for my email address yesterday in a department store. 'Why?' I asked the young lady on the till. she said it was so that they could send me a receipt by email. Ummmm, I'll just have that one that's just slithered out of the top of your till thank you, sez I!

Really, do I look as though i was born yesterday???
              Cynthia.

Comment

Yes, I did stay as I had met up with friends and had already pitched when she came round for the money. It was only £11 with the dog & EHU so not too bad. It was just the principle I argued with her about.

Some payment systems are set up to issue the receipt by e-mail; I am Treasurer for an organisation which has a handheld device for taking card payments, using internet via our phones' data. It doesn't kick out a receipt but we have to enter an e-mail address for the receipt to be sent. We've set up a dummy e-mail to put in if people don't want to provide theirs as it won't work if we don't put one in. The Bank assure me that their computer doesn't keep any records of that e-mail address because of the Data Protection Act, neither are we able to see what it is on the transaction details we get sent.to our real e-mail address.

Comment

I frequently get asked for my email address at the till and am always happy to provide it because it is much more convenient for me. Last January Vicki and i brought brand new winter coats and last week the zip on hers broke. It's inside of 12 months since purchase and because we got an emailed receipt the shop changed it without argument. Would we really have kept a paper receipt all this time? Perhaps some people are that organised they can do that but in our house a tiny scrap of paper like that would have been long since lost and we would have had to fork out for a new coat.
                  Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                    I frequently get asked for my email address at the till and am always happy to provide it because it is much more convenient for me. Last January Vicki and i brought brand new winter coats and last week the zip on hers broke. It's inside of 12 months since purchase and because we got an emailed receipt the shop changed it without argument. Would we really have kept a paper receipt all this time? Perhaps some people are that organised they can do that but in our house a tiny scrap of paper like that would have been long since lost and we would have had to fork out for a new coat.
                    Good idea and if anyone is worried about spam etc. Just create an email address with receipts in the name e.g. paulinesreceipts@ , Gmail are free to set up, and just use it for similar things.

Comment

It would be a great help if supermarkets did this for the electrical items they sell rather than it just going on your ordinary supermarket receipt with the rest of your shopping. I have bought things like toasters, irons etc whilst doing my weekly shop and it's gone through the checkout with the rest of the shopping. I then clear my purse out of till receipts and throw them away the electrical item fails and I have nothing to prove when it was bought. I almost never fill in guarantees and return them so I am unable to get a replacement. An e-mail receipt would solve that problem. Anyway I' m always trying to reduce the amount of paper that needs to be kept it takes up loads of space and then you have the job of getting rid of it when it finally goes out of date.
                      Janet

Comment

We've started to shop in John Lewis where we can and where it's competitive and they ask for an email. They do send out bumph but I just ignore it. They also have an online "kitchen drawer" attached to your account and as long as you use your membership card they will post an online receipt to your kitchen drawer. It must be common to stuff the receipts in something like a kitchen drawer

Comment

i have used on line receipts on three occasions this year. One was a purchase in John Lewis, when I had no receipt for a small faulty item and needed an exchange, they did not have another in stock, so I needed a refund rather than an exchange and did not have a receipt. They let me log on in the store and access my account and found the details from my loyalty card account. Another was from Go Outdoors who have a record of all my purchases since the year dot. Then for Argos who send an Email receipt. I just keep them in a receipts folder in my E mail list. I also pay for everything by CC which is paid off at the end of the month and that is also a record of when something was purchased, plus I get cash back for every £ spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                            i have used on line receipts on three occasions this year. One was a purchase in John Lewis, when I had no receipt for a small faulty item and needed an exchange, they did not have another in stock, so I needed a refund rather than an exchange and did not have a receipt. They let me log on in the store and access my account and found the details from my loyalty card account. Another was from Go Outdoors who have a record of all my purchases since the year dot. Then for Argos who send an Email receipt. I just keep them in a receipts folder in my E mail list. I also pay for everything by CC which is paid off at the end of the month and that is also a record of when something was purchased, plus I get cash back for every £ spent.
                            We do the same thing, i keep a folder of email receipts and also pay for virtually everything by credit card.

That sounds an odd experience at John Lewis you had though, my Mum works for John Lewis and as far as i know they have a blanket policy of accepting any and all returns even without a receipt.
                            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Re John Lewis, I had bought a luggage scale (not their own brand and so it could have been bought from anywhere) from them a few months ago and when I went to use it this time it did not work. I took it in to ask them to change it but they did not have another one in stock. So it needed a refund and they said they could not do a refund without the receipt. I had not kept the receipt and the assistant suggested that if I had used my partnership reward card it would appear on my account. They logged me in there and then and I accessed my account and they printed the purchase details and I went back to the till where they refunded me.

I am happy for refunds to require a receipt as it prevents stolen items from being exchanged for cash. In the end we all pay for crime.

Completely different issue but whilst in the customer service area a woman had brought in several items of clothing wanting a refund on each, she did not have a receipt and said she would accept an exchange. But the assistant said the items looked like they had been worn and refused. The customer was getting annoyed but the assistant stood her ground and pointed out a food stain on one of the items and some other evidence of use on another. I am glad she was refused.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post

Completely different issue but whilst in the customer service area a woman had brought in several items of clothing wanting a refund on each, she did not have a receipt and said she would accept an exchange. But the assistant said the items looked like they had been worn and refused. The customer was getting annoyed but the assistant stood her ground and pointed out a food stain on one of the items and some other evidence of use on another. I am glad she was refused.
                                Good for her. I think that happens a lot especially with things bought online, people wear them to go out just once, maybe a party dress etc. and then send them back afterwards.

I remember it being a story on Grange Hill many years ago when some girls ordered from a catalogue, as you did in those days, but it went wrong when the dress got damaged but I thought it only gave kids ideas!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X