X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Insurance

Came across this today

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...foreign-office

seems all a rip off to me...very much so...

I might have written the following in another thread, but I do think it warrants its own...

My wife and I are insured worldwide for Euro 100, for the both of us, for the whole year, multiple trips (no single trip exceeding 8 weeks)) through the Austrian Alpine Club, the 100 Euros also cover our membership fees.

It (Austrian Alpine Club) also has an UK branch.

https://aacuk.org.uk

As a member you (as in UK citizens) can have the same insurance.

http://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance

Thought I let you know....
    Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 13-01-2018, 06:40 PM.

You are probably healthy though! Us SMH owners tend to need new knees, hips, hearts, elbows, and specially brains!
    (now where did I put my memory pills?)
    That puts the insurance cost up! Thanks anyway, we'll take a look.
    Necessarium esse superfluum Latin

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
      You are probably healthy though! Us SMH owners tend to need new knees, hips, hearts, elbows, and specially brains!
      (now where did I put my memory pills?)
      Thank you for the link, NiedrigerIQ but it seems to be covering mountain search /rescue insurance.

I wonder how many of us are fit enough now to need such insurance? As Gasgas says, knee and hip problems seem to be plentiful amongst our members, unfortunately. So I'm not too sure how many of us can now get up and down mountains!

But I will mention it to my younger daughter who does go climbing. It is certainly wise to have such insurance if holidaying in such terrains.

Re the article in the Guardian

I think the points raised are very valid. Obviously it is important to get adequate insurance when travelling, especially abroad. Such insurance gets more and more difficult to obtain at a reasonable price when one starts to get age-related health problems (eg heart attacks, knee/ hip replacements, etc.) and also when you are 70 or over.

So.... who has found a good policy that will cover such aspects, making it possible for we less healthy mortals to travel abroad secure in the knowledge that we can afford any medical assistance we might need?

So far, the insurance that is supplied with my bank account appears to be adequate for me, even with the health conditions that I have declared.
      Last edited by NomadSue; 13-01-2018, 11:32 PM.
      Carpe diem!

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post

Thank you for the link, NiedrigerIQ but it seems to be covering mountain search /rescue insurance.

I wonder how many of us are fit enough now to need such insurance? [/SIZE]
        I might fall down some stairs whilst visiting the bell tower of a cathedral....and am covered...or on the way to the beach when I stumble and break my hip......with that insurance.....or when the toilets of the restaurant which are in the cellar and I stumble....funny that you think you are getting too much for too little expense.....there is no need to go up to 6000 meters (above one would need extra cover)......no need for skiing...slipping on a banana, or worse, mango skin at the market is good enough for the insurance to kick in....if one does need it...

Hip replacement abroad, would that not be health tourism...? Heart attacks are covered by the EHIC in Europe at least...the transport home if one can not make it under ones own steam after by the above insurance....hospital costs arising through that heart attack as well, if outside Europe and not covered by the EHIC...

That insurance, I agree, makes most sense when one ventures abroad...
        Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 14-01-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Quote:

Repatriation and medical treatment costs abroad Valid worldwide during the first eight weeks of any journey abroad, for leisure and occupational accidents as well as illness. •Repatriation service from abroad: without limitation on costs. •Medically necessary treatment (including medically necessary transport to a hospital) abroad: up to EUR 10,000.– Cover for point 2 includes in particular: 2.1 Full costs for medically justified patient-transport from a foreign country to a hospital in the country of main place of residence or to the main place of residence, including the costs for transporting one person in a close relationship to the person being transported. The prerequisites for repatriation of an insured party, in addition to such party’s ability to be transported, are: a) the existence of a life-threatening disturbance to the insured party’s state of health or b) the locally available medical care does not ensure treatment of a standard corresponding to that available in the party’s country of main place of residence c) an in-patient hospital stay of more than five days is expected. The transport must be organised by the contractual organisation stated on the Alpenverein membership card; otherwise only a maximum of EUR 750.– will be reimbursed:

Comment

That does sound as if it covers what i worry about most but say the insurance you can get with Nationwide flex plus gives stuff that some people might care about, delay and cancellation insurance, theft abroad, all the standard travel insurance ? Does your mountain rescue cover that?

Comment

Niedriger - Thank You! Last year Liz and I spent 9 weeks in the van going as far as Eastern Europe and were looking for just this sort of insurance. We knew our EHIC covered health basics but were worried about the fall down mineshaft recovery costs or possible repatriation cost of either or both if we couldn't use the van to get back home. Theft insurance is a standard part of the van cover and we didn't give a monkeys about ferry delays etc - we would just change our itinerary appropriately. And cancellation insurance only matters if you have sites booked in advanced with a deposit - we didn't.

Liz and I scoured the UK market for such basic repatriation/personal recovery insurance and couldn't find a product that didn't offer the full delay, cancellation, theft, personal liability etc, etc package that we didn't feel we needed at a cost we didn't feel we wanted to afford.

Will investigate the AAC later today.

Comment

Derekoak
                No, no delay, no theft, no cancellations.....if you download their info you also will not find any small print... ;-)

Never needed that, but I believe the insurance coming with my my credit card covers things like that...as long as I book with the credit card....

The trips you two are doing, I would recommend it, the membership and insurance, strongly...! Even more when I think about your planed trip to the Dolomites...and Mont Blanc...membership has also another few advantages.....

My father in law, Australian, well in his 80ties is a member since last year...he can not get any other insurance for his travels over here on the continent...

I would also recommend to look at the BritishMountainieringCouncil Insurance offers, and compare quotes from there and what they deliver....and at what price...

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/

https://www.thebmc.co.uk
                Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 14-01-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Thank you, again, NiedrigerIQ, for the links. Guess who didn't read the page thoroughly!

I did bring my daughter's attention to the page as well. Mostly she climbs with organised groups who already cover the members with full mountain rescue etc insurance, but it did serve to remind her to check that the travel insurance she presently carries is still the most suitable for her needs.
                  Last edited by NomadSue; 14-01-2018, 04:03 PM.
                  Carpe diem!

Comment

Will they still have a british branch after brexit I wonder. There will be even more need if the EHIC no longer WORKS!

Comment

I see no reason why not....that UK branch got started by volunteers ......because of that insurance..

The Insurance also works slightly different than for example at the BMC, there is no mix and match...you want to be a member you get your insurance through your membership fee, you can not opt out of it...the more members the more sharing of the insured risks.....a sharing society, as compared to an ellbow mix and match only what me me me needs one...

Austria is a tourist destination, the Alps are, does one prefer insured Tourists falling down mountains or uninsured ones...? The work and mess they make is the same in both cases... ;-)..but one prefers them served insured...

Mountain rescue is done by volunteers, if they can bill for their costs (mostly they don't for their time) the better...
                      Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 15-01-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

The DAV (Deutscher Alpen Verein), the German aequivalent of the above operates the same as the Austrians......

as a member one does get automatically the below (see link) insurance (sorry it is in German but Google Translate might be of help)

https://www.alpenverein.de/aktuelles...aid_10256.html

additionally one can get this (see link below) for 6Euro! per year, or a 15Euro! for the whole family...

https://www.alpenverein.de/aktuelles...aid_11233.html

the above being a comprehensive sickness insurance (only valid outside Germany) which entitles one even to private hospitals...

There whole range of insurance for members can be found here

https://www.alpenverein.de/DAV-Services/Versicherungen/

and there main page in English here

https://www.alpenverein.de/Become-a-...pine-Club-DAV/

I am pretty sure France has a similar system....
                        Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 15-01-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

As you have invented the Alpine Clubs ( a club of English gentlemen devoted to mountaineering, first of all in the Alps, members of which have successfully addressed themselves to attempts of the kind on loftier mountains) here a list of others following in your foot steps

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alpine_clubs

Comment

France:

http://www.ffme.fr/espace-club/page/...er-loisir.html

Insurance can be found in the Menue under 'License'...

Comment

Originally posted by NiedrigerIQ View Post
                              Derekoak
                              No, no delay, no theft, no cancellations.....if you download their info you also will not find any small print... ;-)

Never needed that, but I believe the insurance coming with my my credit card covers things like that...as long as I book with the credit card....

The trips you two are doing, I would recommend it, the membership and insurance, strongly...! Even more when I think about your planed trip to the Dolomites...and Mont Blanc...membership has also another few advantages.....

My father in law, Australian, well in his 80ties is a member since last year...he can not get any other insurance for his travels over here on the continent...

I would also recommend to look at the BritishMountainieringCouncil Insurance offers, and compare quotes from there and what they deliver....and at what price...

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/

https://www.thebmc.co.uk
                              Thought ellie might be against this Austrian alpine insurance but she is not. So we will get it Asap. Actually as my birthday is before 1954 i can get membership for 39.50 pounds and ellie can get spouse membership for the same. I did not investigate other alpine club insurances.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X