This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Weekend at Buttermere

Just back from an absolutely fab weekend at Buttermere in the Lake District. We wanted a site where we could park up and not have to move for the entire stay, and chose The Dalegarth Campsite

A small site, well tucked away, catering mainly for tents pitched in the terraced gardens surrounded by tranquil woodland with direct access to the lake. James and Kelly the hosts made us really welcome and do their very best to accommodate small motorhomes in the odd corner of the carpark and on their front lawn! Facilities are basic but adequate with toilets, a couple of showers, fridge, freezer, drying room, covered area in case of rain etc.

No shops, no WiFi and no mobile phone reception (perfect bliss just once in a while). The whole site was super friendly and relaxing, and the sun never stopped shining. Just £6 per person per night (including Bank Holidays!), dogs (and probably cats) very, very welcome.

We walked the 4.5 mile circuit around Buttermere, stopping for refreshments in the village. Spent another day relaxing in the sunshine beside the lake while our grandsons designed and built ever more elaborate dams.

We talked about fell walking and even got as far as putting our boots on, but the warm sunshine at Dalegarth kept us contentedly on site for the rest of the time. We could have stayed for another week and still had places to explore without having to take the van off site. We have promised ourselves that we will return with renewed vigour and tackle those hills one day soon!
    Last edited by Vanderella; 02-05-2011, 17:47.
    Mary

wow Mary, lovely pics. I love Buttermere,its not so touristy as some of the other lakes but I think the scenery is so impressive.
    I havnt been there for years,you have got me keen to go back there.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I walked around there last week. It was lovely.
      Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Yes, it was really stunning. And the walk around the lake is just far enough to make it seem as though one has achieved something, and far enough to rewarded oneself with a drink or ice cream in Buttermere Village.
        Mary

Comment

Lucky you are not there today Mary, 1400 cyclists in a race, my son one of them. From Coniston to Coniston 112 miles up and down those hills, it would kill me.

http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/index.php

Apparently the weather is lousy.

Tony Anchorman
          Last edited by anchorman; 08-05-2011, 17:59.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X