C&CC 'Veteran' Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C&CC 'Veteran' Status

As stated in another thread, I have recently earned my 25-years-a-member 'veteran' status with the Camping and Caravanning Club.. You have to have had 25 years continuous membership to be eligible. This entitles you to a reduced cost of annual membership (£22) and a FREE badge! Woo hoooo!

I didn't know about this until I read a letter in the Camping and Caravanning Club magazine last year, from a member of the Club commenting that the Club doesn't exactly make much effort to publicise this benefit. I'd already been a member for 26 years by then and had certainly not been informed by the Club of my right to veterans membership. The Club replied to the letter making some excuse or other about the way their membership system worked. However, I think the reason they don't publicise the benefit is that it costs the Club money!

I only got my veterans status by writing a letter to the Club with a photocopy of my membership card (stating I'd been a member for 26 years), and requesting veteran status. I then got a letter back from them requesting two forms of documentation proving my age and, I think, address? (this was some months ago... the memory cells have blurred things a little in that time!) I didn't get a reply, or any confirmation at that time, that my request had been granted but a few weeks ago when I received my membership renewal documentation I was also sent my '25 years' badge, and confirmation of my lower payment rate.

So if any forum members have 25 years or more continuous membership of the Camping and Caravanning Club under their belt, you need to write and request the lower rate as the Club won't offer it automatically!

Last year I joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club as well as I thought it would be good to have more choice, but I realised recently I'd only stayed on two of their sites, both CLs, so I haven't bothered to renew my CMC membership this year.
    Cynthia.

Thanks for that. Just checked 25 years this year so hopefully we will get the discount.

Comment

We might look at C&CC membership again for next year as now that James is 5 (6 in November) we are having to pay for him on the majority of sites which starts to make the Club sites prices look more appealing. Sods laws says though that the second we rejoin they will start charging extra for Children........
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
        We might look at C&CC membership again for next year as now that James is 5 (6 in November) we are having to pay for him on the majority of sites which starts to make the Club sites prices look more appealing. Sods laws says though that the second we rejoin they will start charging extra for Children........
        Rob B Camping and Caravanning remains as popular as ever and I think in a bid to remain competitive the Club is offering some good deals these days. Again, they're not always very obvious but as a member you would be sent details of special deals via email, which helps reduce the costs of your site fees. I like the way the Big Sites Book (whoops, forgot! It's called the Siteseeker Book now!) has a section between the main sites list and the 'the rest'; CSs and commercial sites, which make it easier to identify sites such as Family Friendly, Adult only sites and Hideaway sites.

The Club changed the format of the Siteseeker book recently, (I think, to put it in line with the CMC book) which I found quite difficult to get used to, but then I'm a wrinkly - I don't cope very well with changes!) Now I've got used to the change it's no prob. Another advantage of C&CC membership is the amount of Temporary Holiday Sites and District Association (and Special Interest) meets available; all run by Club volunteers and usually at a cheaper rate than Club sites.

I've been quite happy with my membership of the Club over my 26 years (well, 27 now!). If you do decide to join you could always put my name down as a 'friend's recommendation', I think I'd earn a freebie of some sort, and another recruiter's badge. I don't think you'd regret joining!
        Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

Rob B Camping and Caravanning remains as popular as ever and I think in a bid to remain competitive the Club is offering some good deals these days. Again, they're not always very obvious but as a member you would be sent details of special deals via email, which helps reduce the costs of your site fees. I like the way the Big Sites Book (whoops, forgot! It's called the Siteseeker Book now!) has a section between the main sites list and the 'the rest'; CSs and commercial sites, which make it easier to identify sites such as Family Friendly, Adult only sites and Hideaway sites.

The Club changed the format of the Siteseeker book recently, (I think, to put it in line with the CMC book) which I found quite difficult to get used to, but then I'm a wrinkly - I don't cope very well with changes!) Now I've got used to the change it's no prob. Another advantage of C&CC membership is the amount of Temporary Holiday Sites and District Association (and Special Interest) meets available; all run by Club volunteers and usually at a cheaper rate than Club sites.

I've been quite happy with my membership of the Club over my 26 years (well, 27 now!). If you do decide to join you could always put my name down as a 'friend's recommendation', I think I'd earn a freebie of some sort, and another recruiter's badge. I don't think you'd regret joining!
          Cynthia
          We have been members twice in the past. The first time we just joined because our parents told us we should but we then found the site fees so ridiculously high that we never used them. The second time we got conned by a sales rep at the NEC show who promised us all sorts of deals if we rejoined, none of which subsequently materialised, they ripped us off royally. We did try to make the best of it by using THS and DA meets but found that the only ones within sensible distances of us didn't have toilet facilities available and as is well documented on this site and known to all who have met us, a proper toilet is our bare minimum requirement, we don't do porta pottis!!

All that said, my parents are members and do brilliantly out of it and i am quite prepared to rejoin IF the site fees work out cheaper for us, which they may do now the kids are getting to "chargeable age".
          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

yes rob it was the in laws who convinced me to join C&CC. I think I was convinced by the knowledge that my in-laws have of all the sites, which helps when going further a field. In south wales I have more of a knowledge base of which are good and which are bad sites, but further afield it's always been pot luck, until now of course.

Comment

Rob B a bit cheeky i know but if you do decide to join let us know as we get a gift if we recommend a member

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                Rob B a bit cheeky i know but if you do decide to join let us know as we get a gift if we recommend a member
                Ho hum..... Sorry Pauline , I'm first in the queue for a freebie - have already asked Rob if he'll name me as a member who recommended him. Sorry! But - I'll leave that decision up to Rob, he may feel you are the more deserving of a freebie, for all the hard work you do for the forum!
                Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post

We have been members twice in the past. The first time we just joined because our parents told us we should but we then found the site fees so ridiculously high that we never used them. The second time we got conned by a sales rep at the NEC show who promised us all sorts of deals if we rejoined, none of which subsequently materialised, they ripped us off royally. We did try to make the best of it by using THS and DA meets but found that the only ones within sensible distances of us didn't have toilet facilities available and as is well documented on this site and known to all who have met us, a proper toilet is our bare minimum requirement, we don't do porta pottis!!

All that said, my parents are members and do brilliantly out of it and i am quite prepared to rejoin IF the site fees work out cheaper for us, which they may do now the kids are getting to "chargeable age".
                  Rob, Rob B I hope you wrote and complained about the sales rep who conned you at the NEC. That is not on; that sort of shenanigans is exactly the sort of thing that puts potential members off joining the Club - or staying with it after the first year.

Re: DAs and THSs, I'm afraid I forgot you weren't into 'In-house camping conveniences', I think most of these type of meets are usually 'own sanitation required'. My daughter is the same - won't have one in their tent, which is a shame 'cos the kids think it's a huge novelty using the camping toilet! They are aged 4 and 6, and always want to use mine when they come here for the day, despite now being big enough to use the 'grown up' loo. Well, you may still get some benefit from the Club deals, and of course the Siteseeker book lists thousands of sites apart from the Club sites, so there's still lots to choose from. Also, many of the little Certificated Sites now offer a toilet on site. I'm not sure but I think the prices quoted for the CS s are per unit per night, not per person, so they're cheaper for a family than for a singleton like me, but you'd be best to check before booking.
                  Cynthia.

Comment

Ho hum..... Sorry Pauline , I'm first in the queue for a freebie - have already asked Rob if he'll name me as a member who recommended him. Sorry! But - I'll leave that decision up to Rob, he may feel you are the more deserving of a freebie, for all the hard work you do for the forum!
                    Cynthia.
                    Gosh, sorry didn't see that you'd asked. Of course you are first in queue, I wouldn't dream of pulling rank I'm sure Rob's parents are more deserving - I've just read he says they are members
                    Last edited by Pauline; 20-04-2018, 15:43. Reason: Just read robs post

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post

Gosh, sorry didn't see that you'd asked. Of course you are first in queue, I wouldn't dream of pulling rank I'm sure Rob's parents are more deserving
                      Indeedy. Especially as they'd made the original recommendation!
                      Cynthia

Comment

They sent me my 25 years badge last week, but no mention of any reduced membership fees! Maybe I had best phone and ask!

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                          They sent me my 25 years badge last week, but no mention of any reduced membership fees! Maybe I had best phone and ask!
                          Caz I didn't get confirmation of my reduced membership fee until I received my membership renewal documents. The tiny badge was sent in an A5 sized envelope! It just had a short letter with it confirming my veteran status so I too was a bit concerned about whether they'd forgotten to reduce the membership fee, until I got my new membership card.

I never know what to buy my daughter and her partner for birthdays; like most young folk who have good jobs they can buy themselves what they want really so it's always a struggle thinking of something they'll appreciate. As their birthdays are only a month apart I thought I might buy them membership to the C&CC. They are tent campers but seldom use their tent more than twice a year these days, my daughter saying that although her partner (and the kids) love camping, that she prefers her home comforts these days! So I'm wondering whether membership might give them the best of both worlds - plenty of choices of sites for camping and also, nowadays, increasing numbers of sites have 'alternative accommodation' supplied; static vans, pods, cabins etc. Well, if they don't make much use of their membership, they don't have to renew next year....

blackadderkate Oh dear, how I feel for you and your parents; such a difficult decision to make. Will be thinking of you.

BrianTheSnail Sounds as though your storm last night was even worse than mine. Fortunately the thunder didn't get too loud - Echo was hiding under the table as it was.
                          After not having rain or storms forecast yesterday, the Met Office was covering its backside today, predicting heavy rain between 10 - 11am. I fink they got it wrong again, Dad (for those who can remember Dick Emery!) It's been a bit cloudy off and on, but dry all day. Echo and I have had a lovely Mendip walk today along lanes edged with bluebells, primroses, violets; white and, er, violet, and wild garlic. Oooh, lovely!
                          Cynthia.

Comment

Caz I didn't get confirmation of my reduced membership fee until I received my membership renewal documents. The tiny badge was sent in an A5 sized envelope! It just had a short letter with it confirming my veteran status so I too was a bit concerned about whether they'd forgotten to reduce the membership fee, until I got my new membership card.

Cynthia.
                            Yes, my badge was the same. I don't think my renewal is due till June so I will see what transpires. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Sadly I am only 19 years with the C and CC and 20 years with the CMC. Had been a member of both prior to this and both lapsed because we sold our campervan at the time. Realising this was a mistake we bought another one a year later and renewed but obviously the years before have been lost.
                              Speaking of the C and CC when I was at the NEC Caravan Show earlier this year I asked about the sliding scale of site fees, it seems no one on the stand knew how it worked and the answer given my the consensus was "the computer works it out when you book online". Another little gripe I have with the C and CC is the fact that they keep sending me member offers for 10% discount on site fees but they never seem to work on the sites or times I want to travel. If it wasn't for the Age Concession discount I receive I don't think I would be bothered to renew my membership.

Comment