Caraboat - More4 Sunday 27th May

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caraboat - More4 Sunday 27th May

I’m not sure if anyone saw this programme on More 4 last night but it featured a couple restoring a rare Caraboat floating caravan!

Its repeated on Sunday:

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-program...s-2-episode-7/

John

Thanks for the information. I see that this is the second series of My Floating Home of which there are 7 episodes in the first series and it looks like there will be 8 in the current second series. May be worth viewing to see if there are any additional space saving ideas as boat dwellers must have space constraints like we all do. All the already aired episodes are available via catch up on ALL 4.
    I'm off out in the van tomorrow and just about to pack but will visit this programme later on my return or may save it for Autumn/Winter watching...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDL View Post
      I’m not sure if anyone saw this programme on More 4 last night but it featured a couple restoring a rare Caraboat floating caravan!

Its repeated on Sunday:

John
      Had the pleasure of camping close to the caraboat at the weekend. It really is a spectacular creature.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDL View Post

Its repeated on Sunday:

John
        Ben & Michelle are much-loved members of our Retro Caravan Club, and rallied with us at Banbury last weekend. The work they've done on the Caraboat is very good, but sadly there wasn't any water to try it out.
        Michelle did tell my wife that if she had any problems in France she would fetch us back in the Caraboat, but fortunately we didn't need to take up her offer.

Comment

I have seen a few Caraboats over the years, but I have often wondered about water getting into the wheel hubs. Perhaps causing wheel-bearing failure when on tow on the road.
          Years ago, for a laugh, I sailed a Reliant Robin on various canals etc.Towing it on the road from one place to another behind my car. Sometimes over 100 miles.
          Quite successfully too - until the day when the front wheel bearing collapsed, having filled up with water during its many immersions. Fortunately the triangular towing frame kept it under control, though we had to leave it behind and return for it with tools the following day.
          But had that been a caravan with nothing to stop it "snaking" etc ...............................................???
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
            I have seen a few Caraboats over the years, but I have often wondered about water getting into the wheel hubs. Perhaps causing wheel-bearing failure when on tow on the road.
            Years ago, for a laugh, I sailed a Reliant Robin on various canals etc.Towing it on the road from one place to another behind my car. Sometimes over 100 miles.
            Quite successfully too - until the day when the front wheel bearing collapsed, having filled up with water during its many immersions. Fortunately the triangular towing frame kept it under control, though we had to leave it behind and return for it with tools the following day.
            But had that been a caravan with nothing to stop it "snaking" etc ...............................................???
            The mind boggles Jim Twolitre ! Wish i'd seen your Robin afloat! I bet it attracted a lot of attention! How did you power it?
            Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

The mind boggles Jim Twolitre ! Wish i'd seen your Robin afloat! I bet it attracted a lot of attention! How did you power it?
              Cynthia
              I don't know whether photos on the old forum are still accessible, but there was a photo in a thread on there. Unfortunately since having changed my PC (with different "Windows" version) and on this new Forum, I have never managed to post any photos lately.
              I sometimes wonder whether there could be any way of accessing past TV material. The "Bobin Robin" (and yours truly) appeared in several local TV channels such as "Look North" etc.
              As for propulsion, that was a small outboard motor mounted in-board at the rear with its "leg" through a hole in the luggage compartment floor, which had a collar (or Bund) to above water level. Steering on water was by a remote tiller between the front seats. All electrics (indicators etc.) worked even though submerged and confounded the "don't use electricity under water brigade. Of course 12volt items will function under pure water with no detriment (but NOT salt water) .
              I have loads of photos - snap shots and movies - but no idea how to post any on here! That is more difficult than floating the Reliant!

P.S. I CAN spell Bobbin'! But the badge it carried was fabricated from two manufacturers "Robin" motifs as the easiest option.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X