This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from France

Just got back from France, used France Passion 5 times it was brilliant. Willgive more details later when I have more time

Peter

Well done Peter, glad you found the French Passion prize useful, look forward to hearing about your travels.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

As promised a few more details about our trip. 14 nights in France and 1 each way in England.

Friday On our way to the tunnel we stopped on a Caravan Club CL near Banbury. £5 but water off and was part of an old airfield - a bit of a dump really.

Saturday morning off to Hever Castle fora look round the gardens then on to the tunnel for an afternoon tunnel crossing. First stop in France Leclerc at Outreau (Boulogne) for bear, wine, food and diesel. We then looked for our first stop and found a France Passion at Argoules.

Sunday drove by the highways and byeways to Giverny to viisit Monets garden went to the Art gallery there in the afternoon (Art galleries and museums are free on the first Sunday in the month). Stayed overnight in the carpark at the invitation of the carpark attendant (with several other motorhomes)and visited the garden on the Monday morning. Absolutely stunning).

Monday drove by minor roads to Chartres where we stayed on the municipal campsite (ACSI 11 euros plus tax 12 euros). We had a problem finding the site because of roadworks and the usual French deviation! There is a walk into the town from the site but that will have to wait until next time.

Tuesday visited the first garden of our trip along the Loire just to the west of Blois the onto the next FP which was a vineyard south of Blois. We had a wine tatsing and spent the night among the vines. In the morning we went and bought a bottle 3.60 euros. They sold wine by the litre at 1.90 euros.

Wednesday on to the next garden only about 10 miles away, a pleasant minor chateau but Henry V111 had stayed there. We the meandered alon the river until we came to Meung sur Loire where we stayed on the aire, in the town but very peaceful. A walk to a cafe for a drink before tea, a peaceful nights sleep and then next morning a short walk to the boulangerie for me whilst Vicky made the coffee. Some of the best croissants we have ever tasted.

Thursday on to Olivet near Orleans to the public gardens - really interesting.
      Afterwards a drive towards Paris and our next FP, a watercess farm in a hidden valley just 30 miles south of Paris, a real welcome and shown how they grow the stuff, given a load for our tea. We bought a bottle of watercress aperatif - very nice.

Friday to Paris to the Bois de Boulogne for 5 nights with my sister the only time we used the awning.

Wednesday a meander out of Paris through Gisors and on towards the coast. We stopped at another FP - a traditional french farm out in the sticks but he kept geese, wild boar and deer. Very quiet and peaceful.

Thursday on to Le Treport. We had a look at the aire and it is on our list for the future but our reason for going was to visit the Mont Huron First World War cemetery where one of my grandfathers brothers is buried. He was only 20 when he was killed, another brother is buried near Arras. (Graham you may be interested, the family came from Church Gresley and Rosliston and they are not too far from you.) Onto another ACSI campsite between Abbeville and Port le Grand, 11euros this time.

Friday a gentle drive up the coast through Le Crotoy and Berck to Outreau to stock up for our journe home. Our last night in France was spent at an FP at cap Nature on the edge of Audinghen. You can stay here without FP but it will cost you 5 euros. There is room for about 12 vans but I bet the french could get 20 on. There were 9 altogether the night we stayed.

Saturday An early train and homeward, because I am tight and wont pay for the Dartford crossing we came through the Blackwall tunnel (we usually use the Woolwich ferry but I fancied a change). We drove to Barnsdale to visit Geoff Hamiltons garden then on to a Camping and Caravanning Club certified site 10 miles south of Grantham at £4.

Sunday woke up early to another fine morning but by the time we had packed up it was raining - the end of the fine weather. We drove up to Sheffield and took my Dad out for lunch. Went home to Lancashire in the afternoon and the weather was absolutely foul.

A good 2 weeks in France shorts and short sleeved shirt for the whole time.

We visited all these gardens because at the moment we are members of the Royal Horticultural Society and except for Giverny were free to members.

Will post some photos of the kind of places we stopped soon.

Comment

Sounds wonderful - looking forward to seeing some photos
        Mary

Comment

Peter

Really enjoyed reading about your travels in France, can't wait till our next trip in early July for 2 weeks. Not set in stone but will work our way down to the Dordogne staying at our favourite Municipal on the way at Chaumont-sur-Loire. Must arrange a French meet at some stage later on, should be enough of us Continental Travellers.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

I have been in the south of france for 2 weeks and have another 6 to serve. very hot and windy at times. kayak every day and I saw one romahome. met some good and not so good people. think I could write a book on the last few weeks here.

Comment

Peter - I enjoyed reading that, it sounds lovely, you've given me an appetite to visit France again we have been year after year for our main holiday until last year when we went to Devon and Cornwall. I don't think we'll be able to make France again this year but next year hopefully. Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say.

Rio - looking forward to reading about your experiences, I'm sure you'll have some amusing things to tell us.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks Peter,that was really interesting and it has stirred up my excitement level for our trip to Brittany in 3 weeks today.

It sounds as if the good weather is holding over there which will be a bonus but I can hardly wait to just get away and back to what is probably my favourite European country.

Anyone else out there heading for the same part of France? If so we'll give you a . We have the Small Motor Home sticker on our vans [3 vans in total] so if you spot us.

Here's to happy hols for everyone.:so happy:

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                  We have the Small Motor Home sticker on our vans [3 vans in total] so if you spot us.
                  Wow, thanks for spreading the word Di.
                  Graham

Comment

Found a cracking Municipal in Falaise, on the way to Brittany for Di and Yvonne.
                    Free wi-fi and takes dogs as well. May give it a go ourselves in July.

http://www.falaise.fr/tourisme/le-camping/

Tony Anchorman
                    Last edited by anchorman; 17-05-2011, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
                      Found a cracking Municipal in Falaise, on the way to Brittany for Di and Yvonne.
                      Free wi-fi and takes dogs as well. May give it a go ourselves in July.

http://www.falaise.fr/tourisme/le-camping/

Tony Anchorman
                      Thanks for that Tony! Did a search on Google maps for Falaise - it pinpointed an area in Milton Keynes put Falaise, France and it dropped the pin in Calvados - now that's more like it :so happy::so happy: I think this one will definitely be on our itinerary, we'll let you know what it's like, it certainly looks lovely.

Comment

We are off to France and Spain this Sunday, years back when travelling with thre caravan we always needed a camping carnet do we still need one because we haven't got one

Comment

You don't need one for France, as far as I know, but I'm not sure about Spain. I think the carnet has been replaced by the ICC (International Camping Card), which your insurer may be able to provide. You can get it from the Camping and Caravanning Club, it costs £5. They might be able to rush one through to you if you phoned them.

Comment

Thank you glad you had a good trip.

Comment

Thanks, Tony. It does look a super site and quite reasonable costs. I'm quite interested in Norman history, intend to see the Bayeux Tapestry whilst we're in the area so William's castle will be also put on the 'places to visit' list.
                              As Von says we'll let you know what the site is like.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X