This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our winter trip

Graham's mention of winter camping reminded me that I must write up our little trip just before Christmas.

We went to Blackshaw Moor CC site nr Leek, Staffs for 2 nights on 20th Dec, just after some quite heavy snow. The site was absolutely white all over apart from 1 pitch where a car and caravan had just left – we managed to get onto that one with minimal sliding. Fortunately it was right next to reception and all the facilities.

We managed a couple of walks – one cut short by more snow (another 2-3 inches) on the Sunday afternoon and then a good walk all round Tittesworth Res (8 miles) on Monday. It was very cold, but everywhere looked lovely and it was very icy in places. John slipped over but fortunately didn't do any damage apart from his pride and a bit of stiffness the next day.

The temperature overnight dropped to about -4ºC but we stayed warm with our little fan heater. We didn't keep any heat on overnight but were very snug under piles of down and fleece! One morning the temperature was 3ºC inside the van, but the heater on 2kw soon had it really warm again.

We kept our water tanks empty and used the site facilities for all our needs. The toilets/showers were kept lovely and warm and although there was no heat in the washing-up room, John nobly went there to do our dishes.
    Attached Files

Thanks for the report Wendy, great pictures as well, it does look lovely and makes me think how nice it must have been but when you mentioned -4 degrees brings me back down to earth.

I think I'll wait until the weather gets a bit warmer. I think you are both very brave, I've got a vision of John washing the pots in his gloves.

Graham (reporting from my cosy living room)
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Great pictures wendy!!

It only got as low as 4c in the van when we were at Skegvagas earlier this month but we are off again this coming weekend, to the caravan club site at Clumber park. The forecast at the mo is for a chilly few days but it will be a welcome rest after working new years eve, its our worst night of the year
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Lovely photos. We're heading to the Shetlands in January. We don't have a heater, and won't have hook up (as I''m typing this I am questioning m own sanity!) as the sites aren't open in the winter. I need to do some planning, and note that you kept your water tank empty...any other advice?
        Aileen

Comment

Graham, he did have his marigolds on see bottom of post!

Glen, the weather forecast is for -5/6c over the weekend here and Clumber Park is not a million miles away! Make sure that you take your thermals with you.

Aileen, I can't think of anything much to suggest apart from the obvious things. We put an extra floor length curtain over the back doors and used the inside blind and curtains as well as the external SilverScreens. We don't drink water from the on-board tank, so just carried on as normal with our separate 5 litre bottles. I would not have gone without any heating.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you get on.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by wendy; 31-12-2009, 11:56.

Comment

Lovely photo's!

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
            Lovely photos. We're heading to the Shetlands in January. We don't have a heater, and won't have hook up (as I''m typing this I am questioning m own sanity!) as the sites aren't open in the winter. I need to do some planning, and note that you kept your water tank empty...any other advice?
            Aileen
            That's very brave!!! If you haven't already got some you'll need propane gas as it doesn't freeze (and appropriate regulator) all your appliances will work on this just the same I think. The Shetlands are windy all the time, so take some extra thermals and don't forget your sherpa hat!! You will need a heater of some kind, or use your grill on low (whilst heating the kettle for the hot water bottles - 2 per person!) lots of warm woolly jumpers and extra blankets.

I belive you can park outside the youth hostels and use their facilities for a small fee. You'll have to check on that.... or find a nice farmer with a barn to park inside! LOL!!!

Have to admire you for going there - why are you going there??? They have a festival or two in the summer you know! I've only been as far as the Orkneys but that was in the summer months, and it was still cold and very windy even at midsummer.
            Last edited by jayjay; 31-12-2009, 15:21.

Comment

Thanks JayJay,
              I know we must seem absolutely mad. For years we've fancied going to the light festival, Up Helly Aa, which takes place on the last Tuesday in January and this year we're taking the plunge. We've camped in winter in our old Hylo (again no heater) a few times and survived, so we're hoping we''ll be a bit better in our Outlook.
              I don't have a clue where my hot water bottles are, so thanks for reminding me about that, I''ll treat myself to new ones.
              It's the fourteen hour ferry that I'm least looking forward to!
              Aileen.

Comment

It looks fantastic in all that snow and you're making me restless.

My Roo has no insulation or heating and has been frozen up, inside and out for the last week so I'm having to patient while awaiting my next trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
                  Thanks JayJay,
                  I know we must seem absolutely mad. For years we've fancied going to the light festival, Up Helly Aa, which takes place on the last Tuesday in January and this year we're taking the plunge. We've camped in winter in our old Hylo (again no heater) a few times and survived, so we're hoping we''ll be a bit better in our Outlook.
                  I don't have a clue where my hot water bottles are, so thanks for reminding me about that, I''ll treat myself to new ones.
                  It's the fourteen hour ferry that I'm least looking forward to!
                  Aileen.
                  It sounds a great idea Aileen (although perhaps slightly mad ), we expect a full account of how you went on and some great pictures when you get back. Hope you have a great time and the weather isn't too harsh.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Lovely photos Wendy especially John's marigolds, although I do suspect that it is not John in the photo

Comment

ooooo! I forgot about Up helly-Aa!

Something I've always wanted to see as well - it's usually covered on the news at some point in January, celebrating the start of the old (celtic?) new year I think. I wouldn't be looking forward to the ferry crossing either, but focus on the pic below!!!!

Cor, all them Vikings!!!!

http://www.uphellyaa.org/

Comment

Nice photo's Wendy, your both very brave.......... I was going to Boston for Xmas but we had such bad weather here on the east coast, the minor roads untrated, like an ice rink, so I decided to stay at home, (wimp) this is my first year with my C15 "Mechelle" still on a learning curve so very disapointed stayed at home.
                        So I take my hat off to you -4 and all that.
                        Happy New Year.
                        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                        'Live without regrets'

Comment

lovely pics and interesting read.

Those of you who go away in the winter. brrrrrrr. You brave souls!! Maybe, just maybe one day when we have mastered the use of our little roma we just might runaway for christmas
                          Jessie

Comment

Thank you for all the kind remarks about the photos but I must confess that it is John who takes them - I just write up the posts.

I would not contemplate going away in the winter without some form of heating - we have a fan heater for when we have EHU and Eberspacher (diesel) heater for other times. I don't think that we would have gone to a campsite that required us to drive on country lanes etc. The Leek CC site is directly off a main road and we had no problems until we turned into the site and then, as you can see, it was very snowy.

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                            Lovely photos Wendy especially John's marigolds, although I do suspect that it is not John in the photo
                            Now what makes you think that it is not John in the photo?

I did have a lovely picture of him washing up but I can't find it!

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post

Now what makes you think that it is not John in the photo?
                              Because the shirt is just not his colour

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X