X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping in Scotland

Hi everyone,
    we have been away a couple of times recently. We staued in Sauchope Links site in Crail, Fife. Found site in Scottish Camping. We were right next to see sea with a short walk into town along a path.
    From ther we used the very good bud dervice to walk quite a bit of the Fife Coastal Path.
    We have also been in Dunoon in a strange little site which is not in any guides. It is behind the Balaclava Garage on the road to Innellan. You are slap up against the sea wall. The facilities are OK if a little excentric! Bus into town. From Dunoon we took the short ferry crossing at Rhiubodach to Bute. The campsite is on Canada hill and is fine. Walk down to town is fine - walk back up is something else!
    There is quite alot to see on Bute including Mount Stuart House and Ascog Fernery.
    The Fergusons:

It all sounds wonderful - I love campsite that are next to the sea! Tiree was on the TV last night and I have been researching Scottish Islands and Ferries all day. It would be good to combine Tiree with Coll but the only campsite on Coll does not allow dogs. Lots more research needed!
    Mary

Comment

Tiree

Only one camp site on Tiree Wullie's, people used to wild camp a lot and it upset the crofters, hence gates up and pad locked, beautiful island been 4 times, make sure you take loads reading materials cause if the weather is crap not a lot to do, cycling is fun, golf ball hill is a challange, mussels off the pier, loads seals out at the point on the maze and if you whistle they come in very close.

Well worth a visit, check out Caledionian Mcbryne web site about car lengths, dont tow a trailer or it will cost you double the ferry crossing price, ain't cheap but on a nice day sailing up the sound of Mull is wonderful.

Bod.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodach View Post
        Only one camp site on Tiree Wullie's, people used to wild camp a lot and it upset the crofters, hence gates up and pad locked, beautiful island been 4 times, make sure you take loads reading materials cause if the weather is crap not a lot to do, cycling is fun, golf ball hill is a challange, mussels off the pier, loads seals out at the point on the maze and if you whistle they come in very close.

Well worth a visit, check out Caledionian Mcbryne web site about car lengths, dont tow a trailer or it will cost you double the ferry crossing price, ain't cheap but on a nice day sailing up the sound of Mull is wonderful.

Bod.
        Hi Bod,
        Thanks for the information, Tiree sounds excellent. I can understand about the wild camping getting out of hand, it can quickly spoil an area. Reading books and walking the lovely beaches is pretty much all we would need to do.

I was wondering about combining it with another island - any suggestions? Coll would be difficult with the dog as the campsite does not allow them.
        Mary

Comment

Hi,

If I was you I would drive to Ullapool camp site already menioned on here, take the ferry to Stornaway, buy an island hop ticket, visit Lewis and the wild beaches, drive south to Harris again some nice quiet beaches, visit the standing stones, the island of Scalpay, from Tarbert you can take the ferry to Skye, spend a few days on Skye, from Skye drive down the A87 about 4 miles brfore Invegarry take the right turn for Tomdoun and Kinloch Hourn, drive right up this road for about 27 miles, single track all the way passing hydro dams for Loch Garry & Loch Quoich, its wild country may even see a golden eagle, you will drive over the east west divide, water running east will go to Loch Ness and flowing west go to the Atlantic. At the end of the road is a farm house with a wee tea shop, walk to Barridale Bay and you are now in to Knoydart one of the few really remote places in the UK, its the jump off point for some of the most remote Munro's in Scotland, afraid you have got to go back the way you came, I was there less than two weeks ago and some wild camping was taking place just off the road.

Hope this helps oh don't forget Islay if you can fit it in, Coll all right for a day visit just to say you have been, only one beach, heather clad not much macher.

Bod

Comment

Thanks Bod, lot there to sort through, we did visit Lewis/Harris/Skye a couple of years back (coach tour not motorhome). I remember now, everywhere we went there was a little Romahome parked up in some very beautiful places! I envied them at the time and now we have our very own camper van :so happy:
            Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Bodach View Post
              Hi,

If I was you I would drive to Ullapool camp site already menioned on here, take the ferry to Stornaway, buy an island hop ticket, visit Lewis and the wild beaches, drive south to Harris again some nice quiet beaches, visit the standing stones, the island of Scalpay, from Tarbert you can take the ferry to Skye, spend a few days on Skye, from Skye drive down the A87 ...
              Bod
              I did exactly that a few years ago in my little demountable Roma! My co-driver was Duncan from Aviemore, I'd love to go back, but can't see me towing a caravan (even the diddy one I have) along those little lanes! If anyone wants to see more, here's the short slide show video of our trip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Owh...&feature=inbox

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                I did exactly that a few years ago in my little demountable Roma! My co-driver was Duncan from Aviemore, I'd love to go back, but can't see me towing a caravan (even the diddy one I have) along those little lanes! If anyone wants to see more, here's the short slide show video of our trip!

Wow jayjay...the Scottish tourist board would be pleased with that video, blue skies and lovely sunsets all the way through I see the credits at the end mentioned that the weather was kind. Looked really nice.
                Neil

Comment

Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
                  Wow jayjay...the Scottish tourist board would be pleased with that video, blue skies and lovely sunsets all the way through I see the credits at the end mentioned that the weather was kind. Looked really nice.
                  Thanks Neil! It was lovely weather, it only rained on one day in three weeks. We cut the journey short by two days. We were supposed to be staying for four days at the Staffin site on Skye but the midges were unbearable after the rain, so we beat a hasty retreat after two nights. The beaches on Harris and Lewis have to be seen to be believed - white sand and aquamarine green'blue clear seas.... It's windy there though - you need some good storm straps! LOL!!

Comment

We had a 3 week touring holiday up the West Coast to Cape Wrath and Durness many years ago, it was absolutely beautiful. However we decided to give August a miss next time - midge season in full swing, and rather a lot of rain We were camping in a Vango Force 10, with a 10 week old Weimeraner puppy, and travelling in a Mini, which didn't help weatherwise, dog got stung by a jelly fish at Scourie, necessitating a 100mile dash to the nearest vet open on a Sunday - in Inverness

We always vowed to return, and now we have our Romahome it is on our list of places to visit/ revisit

Comment

At risk of tempting fate (because we don't pick up the unit until Saturday as mentioned elsewhere) the Western Isles are well up on our list of intended destinations. However, one of us is only semi-retired (working 3 days-a-week), and over half of my leave was already spoken for before we decided to take the plunge. So we won't really have the time to make a worthwhile tour until next year.

For this September we have a 9 day break, so we think we'll head to Islay. An overnight in Ardgarten before the Sunday ferry, on Islay 'til Friday possibly including days on Jura and Colonsay (we know we can't take the van there!), and a day or two to explore Kilmartin Glen on the way back.

Being new to this we'll be happy to hear any comments or suggestions anyone may have!

Has anyone used the Port Mor campsite at Port Charlotte? It looks good on the website and we always have an inclination to support community run enterprises.

Geoff
                      Geoff

Comment

we used port mor campsite back in april, great warden , views & facilities can recommend

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

Thanks for that great video, JayJay We are off to Scotland tomorrow, Thursday, and your wonderful video has whetted our appetites. Fingers crossed on the weather! Graham and Carole

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
                            Thanks for that great video, JayJay We are off to Scotland tomorrow, Thursday, and your wonderful video has whetted our appetites. Fingers crossed on the weather! Graham and Carole
                            You're welcome! Stay near to the sea and you won't be troubled overly by midges!

Comment

As somebody said on another forum,- Campers are natures way of feeding midges and mozzies.
                              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X