Secure storage, advice needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secure storage, advice needed.

Hello, I'm hoping to get a small campervan/motorhome for next year, how much would I expect to monthly pay for secure storage please. (North west Somerset). I suspect that this has been discussed before but I’m a new member so haven’t seen it.

Hi and welcome

You might be a first Gladys6 as I don't remember this ever being discussed, most people manage to park at or near their home.

I'm sure there will be good advice coming though.

I do know that some Camping and Caravanning Club sites offer storage, not sure though if there are any in Somerset.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Gladys6 thanks for persevering after your initial problems it’s good to have you here. As you said in the email there are a great bunch on here.

Regarding your storage problem CyberCynth lives around those parts she might have some suggestions or have you any neighbours with land or a drive unused that you could use for a small rental, you might be doing someone a favour and earn them a bit of extra income.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hello Gladys6 and welcome to the site

Comment

Welcome Gladys. Like Graham suggested, asking someone who might have space is a good idea. I have a neighbour who lets me park in front of her garage. She uses her garage for storage only and has access to it from her garden so is happy for me to use the space. Payment and thanks is by way of garden vouchers. Her choice. good luck in your search.

Comment

Hello and welcome! Google might provide an answer, put 'secure caravan storage+Somerset' into the search engine. I'm sure they can store campervans as well as caravans.

There's a couple of Cassoa secure storage sites in Somerset. All storage sites are quite expensive though. I would explore the options above first!

http://www.cassoa.co.uk/find-a-casso...ounty=&s_city=

Comment

Hi Gladys, I am not sure about small motorhome storage costs. Basically down here (in Cornwall) there are 2 types of storage available - secure in a compound (outside) and secure under cover (barn or industrial unit) When I had a tugger (caravan) - nearly 10 years ago storage cost me £25 per month - this was out in the open. Storage was one of the 2 factors that swayed us from caravans and back to small motorhomes. - (The other was wild camping) - For us our small motorhame is our sole transport so part of the costs are offset by not paying for storage.
              Apart from cost the other disadvantage is lack of sponteneity - in most places you have to give notice you want the van for them to get it out.
              Jon
              Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
              https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hi Gladys and welcome to this lovely friendly site!

jayjay has already given you a CaSSOA link but I'm pretty sure all the local dealers offer storage facilities, however, they are likely to prove expensive and as kernowjon points out, can be limiting because of notice required by site, or have opening hours that might not be convenient to you.

I found the best option when I was living in a place where I couldn't keep my unit (a caravan) was to go round and ask all the local farmers if you can park it somewhere on their land. Advantage: much cheaper and usually accessible at all times. Disadvantage: very little security, but if you can find a farm off the beaten track that's not necessarily an issue, unless your insurance company is unhappy with that arrangement. I found when parking on a farmers land that as long as you have a security device fitted it's not a problem. Some farmers are seeing caravan storage as a bit of extra income and are providing a secure fenced-off area but I'm afraid I don't know any in this area doing that! Sorry I can't offer any further advice. I've only lived here for 2 1/2 years and during that time have been able to park my caravan on my driveway, so haven't needed to explore other options. Good luck in finding somewhere to store your unit!
                Cynthia.

Comment

Hello Gladys I store mine at a local campsite, because we live in t'middle o'nowheer down a very narrow track. We pay £30 a month, which seems to be the going rate (we enquired at a couple of farms as well) and the insurers are happy with the van living at a campsite, just needed to give them the address and postcode of where it's kept.

In fact the Romahome might just fit down our access track, but there was no way the Hymer I had before would have done, and having got a very satisfactory arrangement in place we're sticking to it.
                  Away with the Fairies

Comment

Thanks everybody, great advice. Hope to be on the road by next spring!

Comment

Ask around your neighbourhood for garages to rent

Comment

As has been said, we too moved from a caravan (20 years) to a SMH so we could get out of storage. We found that the "out of site out of mind" syndrome happened and we hardly every used our caravan, so having our SMH on the drive really is an incentive to get out at the weekends and enjoy the outdoors. Our storage was £375 a year and was in a locked lott on a farm.

Comment