This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Wireless access on the move!

Graham mentioned free internet access was available at MacDonalds incidently on another thread. Then another contributor mentioned Wetherspoon's pubs. Maybe other people know of more possibilities?

I thought a thread on the subject would be helpful. Please post up your handy wireless hotspots here please.

Ta

Start with this maybe, need to go through it beforehand I guess

http://www.myhotspots.co.uk/index.aspx

Derek
    Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

My new mobile phone has a bluetooth connection but I haven't got a clue how to use it! Also a different internet access, I think. when I tell it to find devices for bluetooth it comes up with nothing found. Can anyone tell me (or point me to a page on the net) where I can find out. The manual is not very informative!

Thanks JayJay

Comment

Hi Jayjay, bluetooth is radio but used to connect different bits of gear. If you have bluetooth on your computer you can transfer pics from your phone (if it has a camera), stuff like that. If you computer doesn't have bluetooth you can get a dongle thingy.
        Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hi Jayjay,
          bluetooth is more of a short range thing for connecting devices. It isn't really for finding internet connections, that's more WiFi.

You would use bluetooth to connect a hands free set, a GPS device, a camera or another phone to your phone.

You would use WiFi to connect to a wireless hotspot.

The one time you might use bluetooth to connect to the internet is if you had a computer/laptop connected to the internet and you used bluetooth to connect your phone to that computer.

Comment

Just park up in any residential road and you'll probably find a hotspot.

In our road there are 3 unprotected ones that I can use in addition to my own (protected) one. In fact, my netbook switches to next doors automatically anyway if I'm on that side of the house 'cos it's closer!

A handy program for picking them up is Netstumbler - just google network stumbler for it as I can't remember the address offhand and it's on my netbook not this 'pooter which is hardwired.

Comment

J/j.... ??

Hi J J , my computer skills as u probably no by now, r nearly, sillch,(lol) wots a netbook? i would love to have internet acess, when im out and about...alas,im too thick, i need a laptop, which im sure about,a dongle which ive heard about, and thats about it... my pc here at home isnt a laptop, and it wireless, with bt broadband how do i go on about been molbile, and the burning question is, would it cost anymore? ahh someone mentioned a net book? would one of those do? ...Give me an engine,to strip and rebuild, anytime..but p,c argghhh.......... take care,. Bob.
              Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

Hi Bob

A netbook is a small laptop suitable for travelling.

SEE HERE

We have got a Vodafone Dongle it is great you just plug it into your laptop in the USB socket and you can surf, you top up like a mobile phone with £15 and it last months and months depending on how often you use it. Lots of people on here have got one they are great, no contract just pay as you go like a mobile phone.

CLICK THIS LINK

They are also in the Accessories Store along with lots of other internet on the move goodies.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I use the Linux version of this Netbook bought cheaply from Maplins: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CnmBook-Netbook-Windows-Widescreen-Memory/dp/B001DN8NNY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's not fast but it does the job, it was cheap and it works!

Comment

Thanks to Derek and Sloeman and everyone, things are a lot clearer now.

I don't have a netbook, or a dongle at present, NuVenture, it's all getting a lot clearer now though...

Comment

Bad news on the Vodafone Dongle as they are no longer offering this PAYG service. It is now restricted to thirty days for a minimum of £5. However, I understand that existing users can still update their dongles with £15 for unlimited time. This is by talking to their head office but I have not tried to do it at a shop, which they seem to think work differently????
                      I know 3 still have this service but I believe the coverage is not as good, maybe others are also doing it now. Just when you think you are on to a winner (I've used about half my £15 worth in a year) they withdraw the service. Frustrating!
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by niloc View Post
                        Bad news on the Vodafone Dongle as they are no longer offering this PAYG service. It is now restricted to thirty days for a minimum of £5. However, I understand that existing users can still update their dongles with £15 for unlimited time. This is by talking to their head office but I have not tried to do it at a shop, which they seem to think work differently????
                        I know 3 still have this service but I believe the coverage is not as good, maybe others are also doing it now. Just when you think you are on to a winner (I've used about half my £15 worth in a year) they withdraw the service. Frustrating!
                        Colin
                        Well they are still selling them on Amazon HERE with £15 included and in the advert it says top up at any time £15.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I have just seen some more discussion on the Vodafone dongle on Out and About Live - see here
                          Seems like the old ones carry on as before but the restrictions apply to the new ones.

Comment

I had thought of buying a dongle but not under those conditions.

I think I am going to have to hotspot McDonald's for coffee and put a paper bag over my head. My children will lynch me if I am seen in a McDonalds.

Comment

Old style Vodaphone PAYG dongle,

Just remember to use it for a few seconds each month. If I remember correctly, you may have problems if not used once in three months. Somewhere in the back of my mind is needing to use it once a month or three months.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X