Looking for places to park up in scotland

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Janekinson
    Newbie Poster
    • Aug 2018

Looking for places to park up in scotland

Our trip oop north starts very soon and ive got to say I'm starting to panic just a little bit..
    every one says oh yes Scotland you can 'camp' anywhere.. but what about parking overnight...
    we did have a place in mind for our first night nr Aviemore but have been informed you can no longer stay overnight there
    we are hoping after our week on Orkney (which is ok because we know where to stay) we are then spending the next week heading down towards Keilder forest...
    if anyone has any experience I would be grateful
  • Pauline
    Admin
    • Apr 2006

Hi Jane.

Can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

You had posted in the problems with the forum section, so I've moved your post to the camping section where it will get more replies. (hopefully!)

Comment

• Janekinson
      Newbie Poster
      • Aug 2018

Thanks not really sure what I'm doing on here yet!

Comment

• Gregor
        Diamond Poster
        • Nov 2017

I think there's some dodgy information on the internet in relation to Wild Camping rules in Scotland. As a local, I've been trying to suss this out myself as it's likely that I'll do a fair bit of camping in Scotland when my van is ready.

This is my understanding after a lot of reading:

Wild camping is allowed everywhere in Scotland, except areas where the National Parks are - and within those parks camping is restricted to specific areas.

However, "Wild Camping" means climbing up into the hillsides with a tent on your back and doesn't mean parking your luxury motorhome anywhere you want.

Now I don't know how much parking up at the roadside is tolerated in the countryside, but there is actually no legal right to it although many people think there is!

Comment

• karenw
          • May 2007

Overnight parking is very easy and spots can be found via Streetview. The rule is - arrive late, leave early, never set up chairs etc outside your van and always ensure you leave the spot clean and tidy, including picking up litter even if it's not yours.

There's a general reluctance to share spots online now due to increasing numbers of people 'wildcamping', often not following the rules, which upsets locals, complaints are made and then Councils take action via bylaws or height barriers.

Aviemore itself doesn't have many wilding spots but if you head further out into the rural areas, I don't think you will have any problem.

Comment

• kyran
            Diamond Poster
            • Sep 2013

wild camping is allowed anywhere but you have to get a licence for the trossachs national park everywhere else is good
            we always stop at the hermitage on the A9 near dunkeld

Rothiemurchus estates have established two wild camping areas in order to encourage responsible wild camping. The first designated area is at Loch an Eilein next to the car park. Grid Ref NH 897 084. It has a basic toilet block which is open during the summer but may close at other times. Campers should therefore prepare for there being no facilities. This area is open to tent campers and motorhomes. The second area is for wild tent camping

Comment

• gasgas
              Diamond Geezer
              • Mar 2011

We've recently spent a couple of weeks in Scotland. Our rule is this: drive around wherever you like till you see somewhere you like the look of. Get out, go for a walk round town or the loch or the castle, and if you are still there when it gets dark, go to bed. Simple.
              The willing man will find a way.

Comment

• kernowjon
                Diamond Poster
                • Jan 2017

We had no problems in April May this year nearly 4 weeks away and only camp site used - when we stunk, clothes stank and we stopped on a great site Applecross. If you are coming down the west coast we stopped on one of the viewpoints parking areas on the crossing across Kyle of Tongue, Just East of Durness - where the Eagle Zip Wire is there is a large parking area overlooking the cove / beach at Ceannabeine. We parked over night on a parking area of a nature reserve near Loch Assynt. Loch Marie we stopped lochside on a forestry commision parking area near Victoria Falls and on another occassion car park for Bienn Eighe visitors centre same Loch.
                It is well worth getting a camping permit for Loch Lomond £3 per night I have stayed on 2 different areas they are good.
                Also use wild camping on moonfruit - we found it invaluable.
                Jon
                Dirty Diesel Driver - a hypocrite who knows THERE IS NO PLANET B

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X