Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproofing cubicle floor?

Hi there,
    Looking for ideas. Our Surf has a toilet cubicle which is also fitted with a wardrobe rail. There isn't a shower or shower tray. This is the obvious place to store wet waterproofs etc., but how to deal with the water dripping on the floor? Our recent damp survey showed that this area had the highest damp percentages, and it's easy to see why. There is an area to the left of the toilet measuring about 35cm x 55cm, and I guess I could get a plastic tray to go on the floor there, but does anyone have any better ideas? With the flush swivel toilet fixed in place the floor is an awkward shape, and I can't think of any way to waterproof the rest of the floor. Should I try to waterproof the walls as well?

Cheers
    Gill T

What a good question, but one to which I do not have an answer! if I come back to the caravan with wet footwear the shoes/boots get left outside, under the 'van. I have lino on the floor of the toilet cubicle with a number of hooks on the wall enabling me to hang up wet stuff. I don't bother about a bit of water dripping on the floor but if it's a VERY wet mack I just put one of the old dog towels on the floor underneath. This is probably not very helpful to you...
    Cynthia.

Comment

Well you could fairly easily mould fibreglass around the floor, but there would be a bit of work smoothing it off. I wonder why the manufacturer didn't make a moulding for it.
      If you are really clever you could get a sheet of thermoplastic from a double glazing company, like they use for the outside of house doors, and heat it with a hairdrier or heat gun, and mould it around and up the sides for a few inches. Then if you drill a hole carefully through the floor you could fit a drain plug and you've got yourself a shower room. Then you could make a mould of it and flog them for £150 each.
      If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

Are you sure that there isn't some other reason for the high damp readings in that area?

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for the responses. No, Caz, I don't know why we have high damp readings in that area. I've been advised to return to the service agents in another 3 months to have the readings checked, and we'll take it from there. But it only takes one wet weekend away in the motorhome to realise how much moisture we track in every time we return from a walk!

I guess I was wondering if there was some 'magic' waterproofing flooring material I could lay down. Maybe it's just a boot tray for wet footwear and some dog towels on the floor, as Cynthia suggested.

Cheers

Gill T

Comment

Gill - have you got a damp trap - it is a sort of open box filled with Silica crystals - when it gets clogged put the crystals on a baking tray and dry them. We used to have about 6 in our old tugger caravan during the winter and about every fortnight we would change the crystals taking the old one's home to dry on a baking tray in the oven. They are the same thing as you find packed with cameras when you first buy it.

I would wait for the damp floor to be sorted before trying water proofing as the proofing may trap the damp allowing it to slowly do damage unseen, unnoticed until it has done some real damage, which may be very expensive to repair.
            Jon

Comment

A boot tray - why didn't I think of that? Easier than ferreting about under the caravan with soggy footwear....
              Cynthia.

Comment