Announcement

Collapse

Do you know this man

See more
See less

Can you pitch a small tent next to your motorhome on a site?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you pitch a small tent next to your motorhome on a site?

Hi there - Just looking forward to next year. We might try our first camping site if we want to go away for more than a couple of days at a time. We have absolutely no experience of camping or caravan sites, or the rules. We don't have an awning, but we do have a small tent. Would we be allowed to pitch this next to the motorhome for storage?

Cheers

Gill T.

How small is small @gterr?

Campsites sometimes charge for pup tents, sometimes they don't.

We usually stick to Camping and Caravanning club and we don't usually have a problem putting up our little utility tent.

When we camped in September at Cornish Farm for the Howards Citroen rally, they charged us for the utility tent

Comment

Like Sandra says it depends on the site.

Camping and Caravanning Club will let you pitch a small tent so long as it is within your allocated pitch but not used for cooking, we often put one up for the grandchildren, even then it does have to be small.

Others charge a fee no matter what you put up, even toilet tents.

Comment

As Sandra says commercial sites vary with this, most will allow a small tent but some make an extra charge for it. The club sites usually allow a tent provided it stays within the limit of the pitch, we've never had a problem and the club sites (C&CC & C&MC) do not charge extra.
        Janet

Comment

I usually put my pop up pup tent for storage - v handy when you take the van out for the day or to shove the chairs and table in over night. It also stops anyone nabbing your spot whilst you are out. Sometimes i put my bigger quechua pop up tent up. Sometimes i put up the awning (which is much smaller to pack than the quechua) but i always find it a faff and once it blew over. Oh and in france a used a bigger tent which had a middle and sleeping pods either side and drove right up to it. I sometimes put a toilet/shower tent up as well as these, and sometimes on it's own.

It has always been been fine and her indoors sometimes asks the campsite people, but i never do! She always makes sure to say something like "are we allowed our little awning which is a small pop up tent". I don't recall being charged often if ever. I usually choose sites which don't have caravans and are in the mid range price wise or Camping and Caravan Club. (C&CC often insist on two nights - often no use to me - and all seemed closed for the winter - rant over)

Given that we are usually the smallest unit on site (except for other small motorhomes/cyclists) it always get my wick up when we are charged as much as a huge caravan with an awning and massive 4x4! My unit moves most days so the grass doesn't suffer half as much either.

Comment

Some sites are happier if you do not use a ground sheet in the “utility”/ pup tent. This may vary with the weather even on the same site.

Comment

Thanks all. Are sites usually happier for you to put up an awning than a tent? I'm not actually sure what the difference would be in practical terms (if the owner was worried about the grass or whatever). Our tent is a quick-pitch 2-man dome tent, with a built-in groundsheet.

Cheers

Gill T.

Comment

I don't think they will be pleased with the built in groundsheet gterr as it spoils the grass

Comment

Originally posted by gterr View Post
                  Thanks all. Are sites usually happier for you to put up an awning than a tent? I'm not actually sure what the difference would be in practical terms (if the owner was worried about the grass or whatever). Our tent is a quick-pitch 2-man dome tent, with a built-in groundsheet.

Cheers

Gill T.
                  If the awning is attached to the van, a drive away awning, then they usually don't mind.
                  on the camping and caravanning sites if we put up our really large drive away with two bedrooms, they don't turn a hair. Yet when we want to put up the pup tent they want to know its full dimensions, yet it is far smaller than the drive away!

Comment

As Sandra points out, it's usually the sewn in groundsheets that cause the fuss with campsite managers. I have only once had to use a groundsheet inside my awning, on a very muddy wet field... usually I just use the grass as a carpet! All of my awnings are actually awnings though, with separate groundsheets, which you can choose to use or not. The newer ones these days come with 'breathable' groundsheets and are therefore more acceptable than the old style ones.

I spent two weeks on a campsite three years ago, in the summer. The mowing went on all around me. When I packed up to go home, the grass was longer inside the awning than outside!! But the owner was pleased to see that no harm had come to his grass, other than him having to get his mower out.

We always had sewn-in, waterproof groundsheets in tents, when we camped in tents years ago... the campsite owners didn't seem to mind about the grass back then! They seem very precious about it now...

Comment

pick up the groundsheet in the morning and count how many slugs attached!

Comment

Thanks, all. That makes sense now.

Gill T.

Comment

We use a simple set up, shown below. The storage tent does not have a built in storage tent and although we have only had our SMH for one season and camped 5 or 6 times, we have never had to pay any extra for its use. I have no doubt we will encounter a real "Jobs worth" one day

Comment

Thank you, all.

I have done a lot of reading, and even spent some time on the internet looking at photos of campsites with motorhomes sporting all manner of 'awnings'. And I've looked at adverts for different types of awnings, too. It does seem a bit strange that a tent might not be allowed, or might be charged extra, when an 'awning' which is far bigger is allowed without extra charge. I do understand the bit about a tent with a groundsheet possibly damaging the grass, but many awnings have built-in groundsheets too!!

We will be doing mostly off-grid camping, just a couple of nights at a time. We have a small easy-pitch dome dome tent which, where suitable, we can pop next to the camper last thing at night and bring in first thing in the morning. This allows a bit of extra storage space, and also allows one of us to decamp into it at night time if we are disturbing the other's sleep. (We're both restless sleepers, for one reason or another).

When the warmer weather comes, though, we might fancy a longer trip, in which case we'll want to stay at a campsite every third night or so, in order to have a good shower, empty the loo etc. I guess we could buy the cheapest, simplest awning we can find, and pop the tent inside it! Seems a bit daft if it's just to disguise the tent. Also, it would mean carrying both the little dome tent AND an awning! We don't need to have something that 'connects' to the door of the motorhome.
                            Maybe we could get some sort of big fly-sheet that we adapt to cover the tent and fix to the motorhome somehow. Still seems daft.

Campsite fees are often of the order of £25 per night, which I don't begrudge paying one night in three. However, if we end up paying 2 x £25 because of the tent we might as well stay in a B&B one night in three!

All the best,

Gill T.

Comment

I would just use the little pop up tent. There are some sites who may charge a bit extra for it on your pitch just as there are some sites who charge extra for awnings. Stick to the Club sites and you won't have a problem.

Beware though that there are a few commercial sites who just don't allow tents in any shape or form - they say when challenged that it is to do with their licence.

Comment