X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midges, Drips, and other stuff....

Never again! Never!

Will I go to Beddgelert Forest Holiday site. What with the midges out in force (although nowhere near as bad as the Scotish variety) we ended up looking like we had measles....

Then the alleged 'clearings' - well, they might have been back in the day, but since then the tree canopy has closed over them. A teeny bit of sunlight, but not a dappled clearing. We had the lights on every time we needed the cooker. It was dark and damp and made us ache.

At night, the rain stayed in the canopy high above until the drops got too heavy, then pelted on us from a great height. Bad enough that I climbed up the side of my caravan and threw a blanket onto the roof at 2.30am to try and deaden the sound.

Driving out onto the road from the site, we were amazed at times to find it was actually nice weather out there. You couldn't tell from within... Mordor springs to mind.

Good bits - watching the steam trains... going out for a meal at Beddgelert village. Paddling in the sea at Criccieth, and shopping in Porthmadoc. Meeting Marie - who came all the way from south Wales in her Roma to see my awning! Walking up to a viewpoint halfway up a hillside and seeing the very top of Snowdon. Finding a dog-friendly cafe in Caenarfon. The loos and shower blocks always had hot water and the one by us was also very new and very clean. Seeing a Jay, which stayed many a while before flying off in a flurry of bright colourful plumage.

I might laugh at it all later... not yet though. I'm still trying to remove half a forest floor from my van, along with gazillions of dead midges and a load of mud.
    Last edited by jayjay; 15-06-2011, 09:15.

Oh Dear, poor you. It sounds a bit like our time on the Scottish border. Very similar experience and exactly the same reaction. We havent laughed about it yet and it was 2 yrs ago !
    The weather in Polestead may not be perfect but at least we dont get the biting creatures , so look forward to that week and smile.

Comment

Originally posted by pendel View Post
      Oh Dear, poor you. It sounds a bit like our time on the Scottish border. Very similar experience and exactly the same reaction. We havent laughed about it yet and it was 2 yrs ago !
      The weather in Polestead may not be perfect but at least we dont get the biting creatures , so look forward to that week and smile.
      At the moment I am trying to resist the urge to sell my caravan and never do it again.!

Note to self: Remember, in the summer months, from June onwards, STAY NEAR THE SEA - both in Wales and Scotland.

I am actually looking forward to Polstead - so maybe I won't sell the van after all! I'm coming for a whole week because I want to explore the area a bit more!

Comment

I have to agree about that site - we stayed there a few years ago, when we had the Hylo - weather wasn't that bad - although we did have rain - but you almost needed head torches to get around, it was so wooded.

Mike

Comment

What a shame! We will add the site to our list of 'Never Agains'.

We are off to Wales in July - any more info about the dog friendly cafe at Caenarfon?

Our itinerary is:

Coed Helen Caravan Club Site, Caernarfon (5th-8th)
          Camping on the Farm, Aberaeon (8th-11th)
          Freshwater East Caravan Club Site, Pembroke (11th-15th)

Anyone else in the area at that time- its always good to see a friendly face!
          Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha View Post
            I have to agree about that site - we stayed there a few years ago, when we had the Hylo - weather wasn't that bad - although we did have rain - but you almost needed head torches to get around, it was so wooded.

Mike
            Yes, I know what you mean! Might be better in the Spring when the leaves haven't reached full growth. I can imagine it would be quite magical in the winter too.

It's very cold in there. Like being at the bottom of a quarry - I suppose from being surrounded by mountains! Also, from what I know of precipitation (which is not a lot!) it is almost certain to rain at some point every day (or night). It certainly did when we were there.

It's a shame really that the Forestry Commission don't trim back the branches of the canopy overhead, as it would be quite lovely to be in a sunny glade. We did have sun, but not where we were! The only pitch with any light was next to an electricity pylon.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
              What a shame! We will add the site to our list of 'Never Agains'.

We are off to Wales in July - any more info about the dog friendly cafe at Caenarfon?
              I can't remember the name of it, but if you walk down to the front of the castle and face it, then go to your left (in the Bangor direction), past the castle and past a pub built into the castle wall. Then take the next right under a bridge up into the town and it's the second left, and on your left. Quite pricey for what you got really, and the scones and jam came with squirty cream but we were just glad to find somewhere out of the rain!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                Camping on the Farm, Aberaeon (8th-11th)
                Honey Ice Cream, Harbour Master Pub, fish and chip cafe on the harbour, oh my oh my oh my ... does that bring back memories

Please have a chocolate or Vanilla honey ice cream for me :so happy: the cone swirly one not the tub .... I loved the swirly honey ice cream :so happy::so happy:
                A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kipsy View Post
                  Please have a chocolate or Vanilla honey ice cream for me, the cone swirly one not the tub .... I loved the swirly honey ice cream
                  Oh, dear.....oh, dear..............the things we have to do for friends! Well, if you absolutely insist we will do our very best!

Last edited by Vanderella; 15-06-2011, 14:04.
                  Mary

Comment

Drips on the roof

Perhaps we should be thinking about drive-IN awnings rather than drive-away.

Some of the tents on sale these days are big enough!
                    Geoff

Comment

Good idea, Artoo0 - a drive in awning. Developed a slight leak in my Romahome at Beddgelert last Sunday but it's fixed now.
                      Hi Jay jay - lovey to meet you and so sorry you had to leave early but I really can't blame you. Despite repeated dousings of Jungle Formula No 5 I still got chewed up by the midges. I'm convinced that I bought some home with me in the van. Will take some fly spray next time (not for Beddgelert - I don't think I'll be going there again.
                      Next time I go away I'd like to actually see the sun...

Comment

Originally posted by mari2chris View Post
                        Good idea, Artoo0 - a drive in awning. Developed a slight leak in my Romahome at Beddgelert last Sunday but it's fixed now.
                        Hi Jay jay - lovey to meet you and so sorry you had to leave early but I really can't blame you. Despite repeated dousings of Jungle Formula No 5 I still got chewed up by the midges. I'm convinced that I bought some home with me in the van. Will take some fly spray next time (not for Beddgelert - I don't think I'll be going there again.
                        Next time I go away I'd like to actually see the sun...
                        Hiya Marie! Yes it was good to drive away. didn't actually know until we got back to the road it was actually a nice sunny day! LOL!

What sort of leak did you get in your van and how did you fix it? Most unusual in a GRP van. Mind you, the force of the rain dropping from a great height can't be good for any type of unit.

We got a leak - in the usual place, which is alongside where the poptop meets the roof. It was soon cured by pulling the poptop down overnight. The only downside to that is remembering not to stand up fully in the morning! LOL! Just ordered some Dacron tape to see if that will fix it... I've already tried sikaflex primer and sealer. It's difficult to stick canvas to metal and it's right in the very corners where the poptop meets the roof!

Comment

Hi again Jacki,
                          I had a very small drip from the rear roof light which is why, on Sunday you caught me shifting the van around to see if I could level it a bit better. There's been a leak there before I bought the van as the ceiling is slightly discoloured so I've sealed the edges of the roof light with clear silicone sealer - the type used around sinks and baths. So far so good. If it fails there's no harm done as the stuff is not too hard to remove.
                          I'll have to keep an eye open for a good site near the sea to encourage more campers to come to sunny south west Wales.
                          Maria

Comment

Sunny ???

Originally posted by mari2chris View Post
                            I'll have to keep an eye open for a good site near the sea to encourage more campers to come to sunny south west Wales.
                            Maria
                            In July three years ago we took our latest tent (Vango Tigris 400) on its maiden voyage to the C&CC site at St. Davids (oldish facilities but well kept) and that was indeed a very pleasant location.

However, "sunny" isn't the first word that comes to mind! (Incidentally that includes the Site-Manager, but I digress!)

Let's just say that the tent got a very "thorough" testing on it's debut. Which it passed with flying colours I hasten to add!

On the last morning, after about 36 hours of wind and rain battering our walls and consequently very little sleep, striking camp involved Sue prostrate, full length, arms outstretched, on the wildly flapping tent to prevent it being blown back to England, while I unpegged and rolled it up round her, finally shoving it in a black bin bag and into the car.
                            The rain was still coming down stair-rods, but fortunately we'd had the foresight to put a complete change of dry clothes in the loos before we started, and so didn't have to drive home sodden.

Can't think why that's when we first started considering a van!

So, yes Maria, beautiful part of the world and would really love to visit again, if only you can guarantee the sunny bit.

Geoff & Sue
                            Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                              On the last morning, after about 36 hours of wind and rain battering our walls and consequently very little sleep, striking camp involved Sue prostrate, full length, arms outstretched, on the wildly flapping tent to prevent it being blown back to England, while I unpegged and rolled it up round her, finally shoving it in a black bin bag and into the car.
                              Geoff & Sue
                              great story,we have all been there but when did you let Sue out of the black bag?
                              Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X