Parking - Motorhome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking - Motorhome

Just an observation....... I have worked in Local Authority for 30 years and in all that time I have never thought about parking facilities in terms of Motorhomes. Only this year we got our Nu Rio and this caused us to start thinking about such things and how our visits to other towns and cities are adversely affected by the lack of parking. Just out of interest I asked the question of the Officer in charge of parking where I work and I was shocked by the "Not Bothered" attitude. We have 3 out of town Park & Ride facilities but none of them carer for motorhomes or any other vehicle with a height above 2 meters.

I am directly involved in dealing with illegal incursions on public land and I can understand why local authorities put in height barriers as it costs multiple thousands to deal with such occurrences, but I just wondered if there had been any local or national drive to get motorhomes accepted for parking in this country as they are on the continent ? Its such a pity to deny us such access and turn down our custom.

And then after seeing how abysmally we are treated in England and Wales, move north of Hadrians Wall and take a look. We found Supermarkets and council carparks with dedicated motorhome spaces. And of course "wilding" most everywhere using the "Right to Roam" Law.
    Top prize as you are going North if you take the A7 Carlisle to Edinburgh, going by the picturesque route up through the borders, must go to Hawick follow the link I promise you will be amazed - maybe you would like to show it to your council contacts!

https://www.campercontact.com/en/uni...haugh-car-park

Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

There was a guy who contacted councils regarding their policy on motorhome parking, he had a website, but can't remember the name.

edit: found it
      http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/
      Last edited by JazziJ; 26-11-2018, 08:52 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by JazziJ View Post
        There was a guy who contacted councils regarding their policy on motorhome parking, he had a website, but can't remember the name.

edit: found it
        http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/
        I was going to say it needs someone making the case to councils and councillors. The guy who runs Britstops does a very good job "selling" the economic advantage of motorhome parking to businesses.
        Councils need to be made aware of the facts - the majority of motorhomers are retirees with disposable income. Providing parking / overnighting facilities for motorhomes potentially boosts the high street footfall in the town. Reading this I realise now is the ideal time to "sell" the idea to councils, as up and down the country councils are struggling to boost their high streets.
        Jon
        Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
        https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

We've always found that Councils in areas that want to encourage tourism make the effort, Hunstanton in Norfolk is just such an example a car-park for cars and a coach park with spaces marked out and designated for motorhomes right near the beach. those Councils who feel that they can attract enough tourists don't bother. Whilst I am well aware of the problems of the Travelling community, Basildon had the dubious honour of having the largest Traveller site in Britain, I have never found that a mere height bar deters many Travellers from gaining access to a site if they are intent on doing so.
          Janet

Comment

I agree, if they want in then they will get in.

Comment

Dover District Council sem to be taking a stance against motorhomes, well, certainly wild camping motorhomers anyway. In a previous post I have mentioned that a small gravel beachside car park opposite Walmer castle, which has been free forever, has suddenly become pay and display and gated at night. Ludicrous really as it was always barren at night apart from the occasional motorhome and a couple of boy racers now and again. Also the National Trust has gated it's viewpoint at Langdon Cliffs which was always a popular overnight spot with people waiting for the ferries at Dover port. Kearsney Abbey car park has also taken a stance against motorhomers (as mentioned on these forums, actually) which again is madness as they were always empty during the night. I wonder how many break-ins will occur at Kearsney Abbey Cafe during the night now that there aren't cars and campers in there giving a sense of occupation?

I am also led to believe that some pay and display car parks in the Dover district will soon not be allowing camper van owners to purchase yearly parking permits. This will prove troublsome for me as I use Hettie for commuting on occasions and there is no where else to park her when I'm at work.

Height barriers are not too much of a problem in the Dover District though, although there are few if any designated motorhome bays in the pay and display car parks.

I will investigate this more, my interest has been stirred!

Panda.
              These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Panda. a mate was telling me he often camps overnight at the St Margarets car park. toilets need the universal key, but no park charge.

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
                  Panda. a mate was telling me he often camps overnight at the St Margarets car park. toilets need the universal key, but no park charge.
                  Hi doog. Yes, that one is still undisturbed and useable.

Panda

Comment

Have they stopped motorhomes staying overnight on Marine Parade (we don't use Dover any more)

Peter

Comment

I stayed there September 2017, don't know if it's been stopped since.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                        Have they stopped motorhomes staying overnight on Marine Parade (we don't use Dover any more)

Peter
                        As far as I’m aware, you’re still ok on Marine Parade. I’ll try to remember to have a look next time I’m down that way of an evening.

Panda

Comment

On one of the Facebook pages 'Campervan Overnight Parking' reports are coming in of councils banning camper vans from daytime parking.
                          Swanage is now a no go, park your camper van in a car park and you get a fine.
                          Blackrock Sands near Porthmadog is another, Face Book killed it.
                          It has to be said though that when you see pics of car parks looking like a 'Travelers Site' due to Motor Homes parked up for the night or two you can understand why councils are doing it.

Comment

My rival cricket team lost half a season of home game due to caravans etc parked on the cricket pitch. Needless to say once they’d gone and wrecked the pitch, height barriers were soon put up.
                            cant say I blame them? Cost a fortune to sort out.

Comment