As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build it yourself!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build it yourself!

Firstly, seen on the Deauville Stand at Newark Kit Car Show this last weekend. Not really my cup of tea!
    Next a folding orange box? Should hold a lot of oranges
    And finally some friends my Gentry met there. With the Romini not far away! These are "Build it yourself cars" - Not Rominis.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 19-06-2011, 20:17.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Now there's a good idea for a Combi-camp!

Hope you don't mind, I copied it on to the Combi Camp owners forum, I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

Comment

I don't mind. Though I'm not sure what a "Combi Camp" is
      Jim.

Comment

The brown and white canvas on the pick up is actually a Combi Camp trailer tent, they normally live on a trailer but someone has taken it off the trailer and put it directly on to the pick up. I used to have a similar one.

Comment

I have one its a side opener, some of the members on this forum have seen it.

Comment

The folding caravan is a PORTAFOLD built circa 1970's

Comment

I did think the Combi Camper, as you have identified it, was possibly proprietory. But it seemed very narrow from end on, like a tunnel, and had perhaps been narrowed along its length to fit. However, I don't recognise the pick up as a standard vehicle.
              As for the Portafold identified by Roger - I do vaguely remember the Portafold, but this seemed much narrower and shorter. And if I may say it, much more crude. More like a less skilled reproduction. But you could well be right Roger.
              Jim.

Comment

Any information about the pickup truck?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                  Any information about the pickup truck?

Peter
                  Can't help you Peter. The usual Deauville offerings are adaptations of Citroen 2CVs, which that certainly is not. I'm afraid I did no more than take a photo. I made no enquiries. Sorry.
                  Or looking at it again - perhaps it could be?
                  Jim.

Comment

Peter, you prompted me to go fishing on the 'net.
                    Doing a search for Deauville Cars came up with this 2CV based vehicle. Which is possibly the same except for the hardtop and differently styled wheel arches..
                    Jim.
                    Last edited by Twolitre; 20-06-2011, 19:43.

Comment

Portafold (not) at Newark kit Car Show

Well it's good to see someone took an interest in my little caravan. I (very) recently constructed it using GRP, with female moulds constructed from Conti-board and anything else suitable which came to hand. Yes it needs some tidying, and the sides shortening, and some rubber seals, but given that I build it in 6 weeks of spare time and parts were still being fitted on the day before the show.... that's the result for the moment. I incorporated styling features from the Quantum Kit Car which tows it. The biggest letdown was the gelcoat Oxford Blue colour which unfortunately doesn't match the Oxford Blue Car - again something I will resolve in the next few months now the pressures off.

Comment

Hi Mitchell, I did not think it was a Portafold. You did well to build it so quickly.
                        I was on the Gentry stand to the right from where you were. I could see your caravan from my Romini.
                        Most women were more interested in my Romini than my car (on the top left of this message). I'll bet you had the same problem!

Nice to hear from you on the Forum. If you are a new Member you will be very welcome here.

Jim.

P.S. I just looked back through the posts and I realised I used the words "more crude". I was not intending to belittle your work and I did not realise it was not finished. Please accept my apologies. No offence was intended.
                        Last edited by Twolitre; 26-06-2011, 22:09. Reason: Apology!

Comment

Mitchell, you mentioned rubber seals. Elsewhere on the Forum was a question about seals and trim strips and someone posted this web address. It might be useful to you?

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/bbCMSrenderPage.asp

Jim.

Comment

Newark Folder

Good to hear from you Twolitre. Thanks for the link re the seals. I'm more than happy to receive comments (no offence taken), as that is the best way to improve - If people says "that's great" but don't really mean it then it won't help me. Obviously I realised that it had it's shortcomings (the plasticene from the corners of the mould still clinging to the edges were pretty yeuk!) but I just didn't want to suffer another Newark in a tent. As such it served me well - A bit tricky to get out of the door though 'cos I goofed the hinges - it will be corrected after I've done some work on the patio I've been promising my wife! The main reasons for building it rather than buying a used folder were the desire to get it 'matching' the Quantum, and to get a low weight (BTW it should be 180kg judging by the materials used, but I've not had time to weigh it)

Comment

Here are some cute innovations, I like the shopping trolley solo camper.

http://dornob.com/solo-shelter-showc...ng-exhibition/

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X