George Clarke's Amazing Spaces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Clarke's Amazing Spaces

George Clarke's Amazing Spaces is back, if you missed yesterdays episode it is repeated tonight:
    Episode 1 Monday 7th, January 8:00pm - 9:00pm 4seven Ch47
    And again on Wednesday at 03:00 hrs same channel.
    Has 3 motorhome related projects and a “Tiny House” self built by a British lady in Iberia, all interesting.

Not forgetting the Moggy campervan, very few was made.

Comment

Misted Thanks for the heads-up jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Well did the ex cattle truck class as a demountable
        Seriously the little oggie was fantastic - I hope MYKE managed to see it or has he seen it in the flesh - it certainly showed up the problems of standard caravan / coachbuilt motorhome construction - thank you Romahome.
        ​​​​​​​Jon

Comment

Thank you, Misted, we would have missed it but for you.
          We really enjoyed watching this first episode and will make sure we don't miss the rest. A friend of ours had his doubledecker bus to holiday home conversion featured on George's programme years ago.
          However will they manage to deal with that rusty wreck of a Transit to make it even roadworthy, never mind adding a luxury camper complete with veranda? Mind boggling!

Comment

I'm afraid I find George a bit irritating with his endless gushing "brilliant" pronouncements, it rather reminds me of the two sycophantic employees in the original 'Reggie Perrin' shows who whenever CJ said anything would exclaim "Great - Super". The real talent lies with the clever craftsman who resolves his vague ideas into successful outcomes.... that chap could have his own show and George (a man with more talent at self-promotion than architecture) could make the tea.

Grumpy... moi?? Never!

Comment

Having seen my name mentioned I feel obliged to write something, but I have to admit,that I didn't see the show. I've seen previous editions and I sort of went off the idea so I was watching something else instead.
              All I can say is that there never was a motorhome version of the Morris Minor produced professionally and all that have ever been made are DIY examples. I have seen about half a dozen in total and they are all very well done, although a bit small on the inside for me. All the same, I wouldn't mind having one parked on my front garden, just for the fun of it.

Comment

I love the programme, in fact any DIY/makeover programme suits me. I don't care for George Clark's exclamations and funny face to camera bit either, so generally get John to record it for me and then I fast forward those bits as well as the ads. Best of all worlds then

Comment

Minor Pictures

The Snail in various colours plus three other similar efforts. Billie (spell?) in the first photo looks as if his front wheels might leave the ground:

Minor The Snail Red 1.jpgMinor The Snail Blue.jpgMinor THE SNAIL' as it looked in 1986 ex mmoc.org.uk.jpgMinor Green r..jpgMinor Camper Van cream 2.jpgMinor Rustic Cabin.jpg

Comment

Love the last pic, Misted.... just attach the garden shed and there you are.

Comment

The red, blue and gold ones all appear to be the same vehicle (according to the registration plate)...
                      Wandering in a dazed state!

Comment

The red, blue and gold one has been around since at least 1990. First time I saw it, it looked a bit tatty but it's been worked on over the years by several people and it's sort of got better as different people have worked on it. It was a miniature caravan originally. I can't remember the name, but there was one parked in a garden near where I used to live which had been towed by a motorbike and sidecar. Old age had caught up with the owner and it was just left in the garden, but he wouldn't sell it. Memories, he said. I know exactly how he felt. Anyway, back to the photo. The whole thing was mounted on the back of a Minor van chassis and it works. The original owner told me that the overhang made the steering a bit light and it was easy to pull a wheelie but it still seems to be in the same state now. Mind you, half a dozen bags of sand under the bonnet would cure that, and there is room under a minor bonnet.

Comment

That rear overhang looks to be greater than the permitted 60% of the wheelbase. But who cares it is still a great little vehicle and after the almost complete rebuild of the frame I should imagine there will be a good few years more life in the little Moggie.
                          I think if it was mine I would be putting the same coil helper springs as I have on the Daihatsu - I think it gives about a 50% increase in load capacity without the "saggy bum" I mean we have at the rear and near the rear axle 30 litres Fuel Tank, 30 litre water tank, fridge, 2 907 Camping Gaz cyls, food and a towbar with extension probably another 30KG or more. And no we are not nose-up!
                          Jon

Comment

I'm with mikeroch on this one, but you forgot the other two guys who tagged onto the 'Great - super' superlatives; 'Smashing - Right on!' An excellent sit com, but sorry guys, a bit off-topic here... But to continue with the T.V. analogies does anyone remember Spitting Image's puppet of Steve 'Interesting' Davies? Brilliant! Well George Clark deserves a Spitting Image puppet called George 'Up Himself' Clarke. Just MHO. Ok, I'll get me coat....

I've only ever watched a couple of these 'Amazing Spaces' programmes and while the dwellings were.... original, (she politely said) seemed completely out of keeping within their environment and I wondered how the dickens the builders ever got planning permission for these 'vanity projects'. Ok, I really am going now.
                            Cynthia.

P.S. I do really love to see the motorhome conversions shown.

Last edited by CyberCynth; 12-01-2019, 09:04 AM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                              That rear overhang looks to be greater than the permitted 60% of the wheelbase. But who cares it is still a great little vehicle and after the almost complete rebuild of the frame I should imagine there will be a good few years more life in the little Moggie.
                              I think if it was mine I would be putting the same coil helper springs as I have on the Daihatsu - I think it gives about a 50% increase in load capacity without the "saggy bum" I mean we have at the rear and near the rear axle 30 litres Fuel Tank, 30 litre water tank, fridge, 2 907 Camping Gaz cyls, food and a towbar with extension probably another 30KG or more. And no we are not nose-up!
                              Jon
                              Moggies are bombproof. There probably isn't a collection of remains anywhere on the planet that can't be put back on the road if you throw enough time and money at it but restorers tend to go for the easier ones. The others usually get broken for spares to keep the others going. The vans and pick ups were built on a separate chassis, which is what the caravan back is mounted on but they all have leaf springs on the back. I suppose extra leaves cold be fitted but I would go for mounting an extra pair of springs inboard of the chassis rails. I've had several pipe dreams of building one of these but it will never happen. I've got enough on at the moment but if anyone wants to have a go I would suggest using expanded polyurethane sheet which is easy to work with to get the shape, covered in linen and soaked in fibreglass resin. Or if you want, fibreglass mat , but that would increase the weight. And I would go for slide out sides to give extra space for an onboard loo. (An absolute essential at my age).
                              So there you have it. A full set of plans for you own project. Go on, somebody have a go. You know you want to.........

Or maybe, if you can find a scrap Freedom Microlite, My Moggy never had any problems pulling one of those around so minus the weight of the chassis, It might just work.
                              Last edited by MYKE; 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment