As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any advice re Hebrides/Skye trip

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any advice re Hebrides/Skye trip

Hi,
    I am planning to visit Outer Hebrides at the end May coming back via Skye.Has anyone been who can give me some tips?
    Going to get a Cal Mac Hopscotch ticket and setting off from Oban to Lochboildale, then Berneray to Leverburgh,Tarbert to Uig and then back to mainland at Mallaig.
    has anyone taken dogs on the long crossing?
    Meeting up with New Companions(single campers club) at Oban but leaving them to go to Skye.
    Anyone else fancy coming?

Hello Pat,
    We went to Skye roughly the same time lof the year in 2008. We had gorgeous weather, and we loved it. Stock up on Avon Skin so Soft and invest in a midge hat/net thing, as the little creatures really are quite persistent. We didn't do the ferry, but went over the road-bridge. We stayed at sites in Sligachen (very midgey, but picturesque), Dunvegan, Staffin and Glen Brittle. Glen Brittle is off the beaten track, but well worth the effort and probably my favourite. We' hope to be heading off to the Western Isles later this year, but first we're heading to the Shetlands in a weeks time. That should be a bit of an adventure!
    Aileen

Comment

Hi Pat!

I did the big hopscotch tour of Harris, Lewis and Skye in 2008 in May. It's the best time to go, we had lovely weather and everywhere else it was raining!!

Harris & Lewis are lovely and very unspoilt, we didn't get bitten by a single midge there, but Skye - oh boy! That was at the Staffin site. Try to stay by the beach, near to the sea, the little b*s don't come out if the wind is above 5MPH.

If you're taking an awning, get some delta pegs and storm straps, the wind can be pretty strong on the tides.

I did a short slide show of my trip - on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4OwhX9MXMY

if the link above doesn't work, just type Duncan and Jacki's Trip into the search engine and it should come up.

Wish I was coming! Maybe next year....

Eidted to add - I took my dog with me - she's a good sailor! The CalMac ferries there are just brilliant and very dog friendly... no problems at all. They have doggie sitting areas with seats for humans and water bowls for dogs. There are certain areas you can't go with them (like the restaurants for eg) but it's great. You an take them up on the deck for a walk, make sure they are walked before you get on the ferry and don't feed them until you get off!
      Last edited by jayjay; 15-01-2010, 10:41.

Comment

Ah yes - Skye - Staffin -

We were there in May last year, and it RAINED

When it wasn't raining, it BLEW

Sometimes it RAINED and BLEW at the same time

The hardstanding we were on filled up with standing water since it had been cut into the slope and left with a reverse fall on the surface.

The awning tried to blow away and the bedding left inside to air soaked up the water like a wick.

Comment

Hi, in May/June 2004 my husband and I did 6 weeks in Scotland, we did 2 weeks Outer Hebrides and wild camped, never used the awning, just carried it around for 6 weeks!

On Skye for 1 week, again, we wild camped at the bottom South West of the island, there is a circular road, beautiful, Stillachen full of midges! Great campsite at Uig, run by an english couple.

Fill up before you go to the OH, as it costs a fortune there and ensure you have a full gas bottle, it can be in short supply.

The scottish tourist board will send you loads of good information regarding places to visit and stay.

Hot showers on the islands on the fishing harbours only 50p in 04.

Co-op shops on the main road through, and they will tell which day they receive fresh bread and milk meat was expensive though.

Wish I could join you, but I shall be in Turunc, Turkey.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by barry5 View Post

We were there in May last year, and it RAINED

When it wasn't raining, it BLEW

Sometimes it RAINED and BLEW at the same time

The hardstanding we were on filled up with standing water since it had been cut into the slope and left with a reverse fall on the surface.

The awning tried to blow away and the bedding left inside to air soaked up the water like a wick.

Barry, don't bother applying for a job at the Sky Tourist Board.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

thanks folks.
              Hope fully I won't have too much wind and rain.Not sure whether to wild camp as I will be on my own.Dogs may sound fierce but they are a pair of wimps.

Comment

Just watched your trip jayjay, Looks wonderful. Maybe we will get there one day!! Start at the bottom and work our way up I think is probably the way to do it
                Jessie

Comment

Originally posted by Pat534 View Post
                  thanks folks.
                  Hope fully I won't have too much wind and rain.Not sure whether to wild camp as I will be on my own.Dogs may sound fierce but they are a pair of wimps.
                  There aren't many camp sites out there, Pat! I stayed at one in Lewis, beware the showers at 20p for 2 minutes, so that will about be £1.20 for a shower then, if you want to wash your hair as well!

There are however some youth hostels which will let you camp on their car parks and for a small charge use their facilities such as baths, showers, water, etc. The council-run sites on Harris are classed as wild camping, but are truly better than some over here which charge. The one at Horgebost Beach is stunning and has loos, showers, washbasins, water taps, waste facilties, etc... just no EHU. They ask for a donation towards the running costs but it's entirely optional. You will be safe wild camping up there though, I would have done it myself had I known it was so safe.

Jessie - thanks for watching the video glad u liked!

Comment

Midges are not usually as much of a problem in May as later in the summer. We find that there are often a lot in the far south in mid-May, but they appear later the further north you travel; we have only seen a few on our recent trips to Sutherland at the end of May, and locals tell us that the first week of June there is normally not bad.

Other things to know about Scotland's most vicious wild animal:
                    • They don't like hot sun (not a very common phenomenon, I admit)
                    • They don't like strong winds. I believe anything over 5 mph puts them off.
                    • They thrive in damp and boggy conditions, and some dry and sandy sites will not see any at all, which is fine till you leave the site...
                    • And they can't keep up with a C15, so you can have your cab windows open as you drive!

Hope you have a great trip

Paul and Susan

Comment

thanks for your help.I have booked my ferries now.Just got to book campsites. decided not to go to Skye.Will come back to mainland via Stornoway to Ullapool then accross to Rosemarkie to see the dolphins from Cromerty point.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat534 View Post
                        thanks for your help.I have booked my ferries now.Just got to book campsites. decided not to go to Skye.Will come back to mainland via Stornoway to Ullapool then accross to Rosemarkie to see the dolphins from Cromerty point.
                        We've been to Rosemarkie and seen the dolphins, its a fantastic spectacle, we wondered why people were walking down the beach from the campsite with their chairs, so we asked someone and they told us about the dolphins, they come at the same time every day, something to do with the tides I think. I took lots of pictures but most were splashes as they vanished under the water.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Pat,

You said you were <Meeting up with New Companions(single campers club)>. Am I right in thinkng they don't have a website? If so, could you tell me more about the club please?

Thanks

Comment

Aileen

Looking foward to hearing how you get on in Shetland - I am heading up there at the end of June. Just had fun trying to book tickets though the Northern Ferries website and ended up phoning them up instead to put it all right!

Liz

Comment

Hello Liz,
                              We had a great time, although it's a bit bizarre going in January. We plan on going next year in the summer to benefit from the long nights. Like you, I ended up phoning the ferry company. We booked a cabin and I can recommend it. The ferry was fairly rough on the way out, but no problem on the way back. We didn't stay on any sites (only one was open at that time of year) but instead wild camped in various places, including on the pier car park. Everyone is very friendly, and lots of people wave at you when you pass, especially on the lesser A roads.
                              At the end of the month we're heading up to Ullapool and then the Western Isles. We'll have to try and find somewhere breezy to avoid the midges!
                              Do post about your holiday and I'll follow in your footsteps next year.
                              Aileen x

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X