As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping & Caravanning Club deposits

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping & Caravanning Club deposits

Has anybody had problems with the new deposit system of the CC&C? I had a site booked for a W/E in May paid the £25 deposit & on the way I brokedown the garage was unable too start the check for a week so I contacted Devizes & cancelled they did say I could book for the following W/E but had too refuse the repair took a week & what with the repairs after the breakin I couldn't use the van for nearly 4 weeks.
    It appears that the club wont refund deposits on less than 7 days cancellation &
    they don't class breakdowns as a reason, I could quite well have lost alot of cash if I had booked 2 or 3 sites. It seems as if the rules changed, due too the not being able too put your deposit into a holding account for transfer towards another booking.
    Not sure if thuis makes sense. Does the Caravan Club work the same way.
    Pete

Hi Pete,
    the Caravan club doesnt take deposits,you simply make a booking and thats it,if you cant arrive you contact them ASAP,and explain,if you continously drop bookings they will get stroppy,but no money is taken, The C&CC has several annoying quirkes and this is another of them. My biggest grumble with them is the nonsense of locking the gate at 11pm,so you are locked off site,very annoying if you are away for the day,also they have a minimum of 2 nights booking?why?it stops weekenders like me getting on site.
    The other club simply gives you a gate key and takes 1 night bookings.
    C&CC say it is to stop outsiders using the loos etc,the other club simply give you a key for that too! lost keys cost £5.Fair enough!
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I disagree with it being nonsense to lock the gate at 11pm, it makes the site secure and as a lone camper I prefer it that way! Also it makes sure no-one is driving thru the site after 11pm and waking everyone up.

I think if you phone the Devizes site and expain what happened and ask them if you can rebook you usually don't lose your deposit.

The CC is ok from what I've read they are taking great pains to stop ppl block booking sites and not turning up - the site appears to be fully booked but often isn't. This system has been abused for years and again, from what I've read, it's very difficult to book anywhere if you don't book them all at the beginning of the season, later on you always have to phone at the last minute to see if someone else hasn't arrived.

Comment

Hi Pete

We have had this situation with the C&CC a few times when we have found due to illness or other reasons that we can make it to the site and we were told to write to the club and explain the situation and our deposit would be refunded, that's what we did and our deposit was indeed refunded.

As regards the 11pm lock in I agree with Jayjay, we are usually tucked up in bed before then so we prefer the site to be quiet and not have people driving round but I can see how it would be difficult for some, especially motorhome owners, caravan owners can just leave their car outside.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I was aware of the non refundable deposit with the c&cc and have never needed to test their flexibility when it came to cancellations although I had been told that often if you contact the head office you can claim it back under certain circumstances. As this thread has also spread into discussing whether the deposit system is a good idea, I'm all for it. C&cc sites are a lot easier to get bookings for at weekends than the cc. I know of people I work with who abuse the cc, booking multiple weekends, months in advance then cancelling at the last minute when the weather looks anything other than sunny.
          We recently stayed at a cc site and some friends wanted to stay on for an extra night. The wardens said they would virtually guarantee that they would have a cancellation or no show before the end of the day and as predicted, an hour later they told us they had multiple pitches available!! I bet that wouldn't be as easy to predict if a deposit had been taken!
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Camping & Caravaning Club

I've phoned & written too HQ & the answer is still the same 7 days min & you get a refund less & your out of pocket so in future if I have too pay a deposit & I'm unable too go I'm afraid it will be a no show & save a phone call I have had a refund a couple of years back but that was due too illness with plenty of time but how can you give 7 days notice if the cambelt or worse happens. The unfortunate thuing is my renewall is due 4/8 & I've paid for 2 sites for 2 wks. 28/8 so I'm lumbered this year, the annoying thing is that at one time it was easy too get in without booking but now it's abit of a job. We try too go out of the high season if possible but even then it's difficult may have too try some commucial sites
            Pete

Comment

Next time tell them you fell ill just before you were due to go on holiday.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Sorry to hear that Peter, it seems as though they are really sticking to the letter aren't they?? You would have hoped there was some flexibility in cases like this. Can't see why they can't do something like offer you their ' free night' vouchers upto the value of £25, especially as you have already booked 2 more sites later in the year, they gave us a voucher simply for recommending them to a friend!!
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I am sorry this has happened but I agree also that locking up the gates at 11pm is sensible, usually there is a car park you can stay in until the morning it isn't that big a deal.

Deposits well you can see both sides can't you. Maybe there should be the option to pay a small extra charge as insurance agains the need to cancel, because whatever way you look at it the punter has to pick up the charge somewhere along the line.

I looked at the booking situation for ANY site in the southeast in March for the caravan club in East Anglia and the South for a Sat night... NOT ONE... NOT ONE place available... all booked... However at the last minutes suddenly loads of space. People are booking on the off chance and cancelling last minute.... it is a terrible system.
                  Last edited by Tentpeg; 22-07-2011, 17:47.

Comment

What happens in the case of an emergency if you are locked in the campsite?
                    We have elderly relatives and never know when they might need us, also on health and safety grounds it can't be right to be locked in your campsite.
                    If god forbid a caravan blew up it might spread to everyone else's.
                    Obviously I realise that you could just walk out of camp but you would need to leave everthing behind.

Comment

Peter can see you find it a problem but it does not to me seem like and unreasonable thing to ask and I find it very disturbing to have vehicle movement at night let alone the security issue. Let alone the poor tent sleepers. I would happily sleep in a car park area outside the campsite and crawl in once everybody is up.... after all the whole point is that you have everything onboard.

If you needed to get out in an emergency there are resident wardens that are on call in the middle of the night... and what you describe would be an emergency known them to get up with good grace for a lot less.

The deposit thing though in your circs is upsetting and would personally send a message to support you in this instance as I am sure others might as well.
                      Last edited by Tentpeg; 22-07-2011, 20:46.

Comment

We too consider the 11pm lock-up as a positive, both from a security and "peace and quiet" point of view.

I can't conceive that any site manager would prove unhelpful should you need to get out in a family emergency, at whatever hour.
                        The Health and Safety objection doesn't stack up either. WE aren't locked in the site, just our vehicles, and a mass exodus of units from the site in the event of a fire or explosion doesn't bear thinking about.
                        It would take hours for one thing, and inside the van is the last place I'd want to be in that situation.
                        No, walking out leaving everything behind is exactly what I'd be doing, just as the Fire Service say you should.

However, back to the original point of the thread, I think Graham's (hopefully tongue-in-cheek) comment hits the nail on the head. For C&CC to start differentiating between subtle graduations of "hard-luck-story" would open the floodgates to false claims, and there would always be someone wanting to stretch any flexibility just that little bit further. Anyway, with most other accommodation providers, cancellation at less than 7 days notice would leave you liable for the full cost, so I don't think their stance is unreasonable.
                        Geoff

Comment

I don't think a seven day notice requirement is unreasonable for a cancellation.
                          It stops the selfish people, who are far too many in number these days, from depriving others planning their itinerary.
                          Even claims of illness are open to abuse and the C&CC do take them in good faith. As for breakdowns, I am sure that these are very infrequent (or should be if vehicles are competently maintained) and those will just have to be accepted as something which owner will just have to view as a fact of life and their own responsibility.
                          I certainly would not expect my deposit back if I broke down. That would be my problem not the C&CCs., especially as my vehicle is 43 years old!
                          Don't tell anyone I did have a problem in Wales Ian.
                          Jim.
                          Forgot to say I like the 11p.m. lock up. But then I do all my "living" in daylight if possible.
                          Last edited by Twolitre; 23-07-2011, 13:03. Reason: Memory loss!
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I too consider the 11pm lock-up as a positive, both from a security and "peace and quiet" point of view, at this time I'm well in bed and like to think security is in place.
                            I have booked with the CC and had to pay a deposit with them, never had to cancell a booking though, in my own opinion after all these sites are a bussiness so I would expect to loose my deposit if for any reason I had to cancell after the seven day deadline. just my opinion.
                            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                            'Live without regrets'

Comment

I don't think that you are actually locked in to a site just the gates are closed and traffic movement is not allowed/encouraged. I know for a fact that at polstead a few weeks ago someone just opened the gates and drove in at midnight because they are friends of mine. I told them off for waking me! lol
                              As for deposits well a deposit is a deposit end of story. It's generally known as a non refundable security for a booking. I really don't think you should expect a refund if you break down on the way IMHO.
                              Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X