Living in the motorhome full time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
    If you are thinking in terms of a small van then finding a place for a loo inside may be a bit difficult, even the smallest can be bulky. Of course, there is only the one of you so you might manage it.

Something collapsible like a Bog in a Bag might suit you and the bags can be disposed of fairly easily. You wouldn't then have to worry about carrying chemicals with you.

41rE205Ko+L._AC_UL320_.jpg

For emergency "freshening up" if no shower readily available, there are extra large wetwipes which are double sided. One make is OASIS and the unperfumed ones are fairly cheap.

oasis_bed_bath_8_unscented_001.jpg

Neither the Boginabag bags or the wipes are very ecologically friendly but might help you out in an emergency
    Thanks for the tip, these things are not pleasant in particular (referring to a process of defecate) but it's unavoidable for humans so better to think about it now...

Comment

There are a lot of people on youtube who live in vans and will tell it how it is. If you aren't going to stay on sites then a van that looks like a builders van parked up will attract less attention,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe7...6ngqTPQ/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0BqkbyrrU

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...trDsHSSLKKrMOY
      Last edited by JazziJ; 07-08-2019, 14:11.

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
        Hi Luke,
        I think an R20 is far too small for your needs. You certainly want a separate loo compartment, somewhere to stretch out and unless you are ocd tidy somewhere to put things down.
        My unit was fitted out by a couple who when they retired lived in it for several years. It has a place, a wetroom for the shower and Thetford portapotti. Could I live in it 365 days a year? Maybe! Could I live in it with my partner 365 days a year? - Dubious - despite the fact we took our small demountable away for a month last year without a crossed word.
        For wilding you may find a "stealth van" would suit better than a motorhome.
        I do not know what part of the country you live, but in rural areas wilding is easier than in urban areas - that said I do know people who wild, during the week inside the M25,
        One piece of advice I have been given when wilding is move from your night time location during the day even if you are returning that night.
        Also Google there are other sites dealing specifically with people who live in their vans full time.

Jon
        Thank you Jon, the truth is that I know R20s only from pictures and several posts on this forum, I have never seen one in real life but I can visualise that. My worry is that a bigger the van is, the more attraction it will cause and as I will be relying on quiet communities, the last thing I want to do is to draw attention to me hence why I thought of R20 being a perfect car which will fit in every car spot available out there. If there is something else you may think of, please suggest, I really read about the Romahome's which I find to be quite reliable, good on MPG (although this is not my main concern at all). I do appreciate that this solution is only available for a one person, it was designed as a holiday motorhome and not 365 flat on wheels so I do appreciate that.

That is Surrey - Kingston on Thames, close to Wimbledon Everyone will recognise this town!

I have watched several youtube channels glorifying van life, I do understand that there is a second side of the medal, in my case, I'm lucky enough to have a certain profession and the job, failing that I'm very employable so this is not a concern for me at this stage. I would just like to use it as opportunity to be closer to the nature, switch to minimalistic lifestyle and save some money in the long term.

I would always be able to sell the R20 I guess without losing much on it, considering that I would always service it and would install certain gadgets which new owner will find attractive. For me this car would have to be spotless, I will be willing to invest in it to get rid of any faults or any faults to be... I would always be able to stay at the hotel or rent a room, flat, house, but I would like to avoid it if possible, ideally I would like to see me doing this "life project" for 5 years and then review it then to see if I need a larger van, or if I would like to come back to the life I'm having at the moment, hopefully with 60K+ more on my account.

Comment

Originally posted by JazziJ View Post
          There are a lot of people on youtube who live in vans and will tell it how it is. If you aren't going to stay on sites then a van that looks like a builders van parked up will attract less attention,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe7...6ngqTPQ/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0BqkbyrrU
          Thanks, I haven't heard of these two. I've watched:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...4qbyTKJmUcWWJg - very friendly Scottish lad who sadly HAD to move into the van, interesting to watch

https://www.youtube.com/user/darran360/ - Darran, who lives full time in the large motorhome

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzL...1V_5AqBPcNHfEw - French (I think?!) girl who lives in small self converted Renault Kangoo with her dog

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDl...Y7Sm37cNce-pxQ - young lad living full time in the self converted van with his dog, loads of adventures here !

These are good to watch for anyone who likes this topic, interesting on how many people start doing calculations and see that numbers does not add up, ok if one makes 100K per year then yes, life is easier, but if you make 30-35K you are not paid bad in my opinion but still there is a limit of things you can do with this sort of money especially near London.

Comment

There are of course alternatives to living full time in a van that are still cheaper than a bricks and mortar house, Tiny houses, park homes, house boats etc.
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
              There are of course alternatives to living full time in a van that are still cheaper than a bricks and mortar house, Tiny houses, park homes, house boats etc.
              Very true, although I would like a tiny house or park home but I'm 35 and I would love to see places, having motorhome and freedom which comes with it I will be free to do so. Every Friday I can go to different places, visit Wales, Scotland, and many other beautiful places, I'm not planning to go Europe really, I want to "discover" our country first

I cannot move in these other alternative housing options, they would all be static and good for me when I will settle down, then maybe I will buy a land and start doing something, I don't really know what life is holding for me

House boats - this was my very first idea - have done some research and apparently you sleep, you wash, you eat, watch and do other stuff constantly in the movement as boat rock like crazy... Not sure if I would stay sane doing this, although have seen 40K boats on rightmove which looks better than many houses, they again only look better

Comment

Hi Luke I feel you may a romanticised idea of what living in a van would be like, yes I know grafting all week and handing a hefty slice to the landlord isn't good but neither is the uncomfortable [relative] confines of a small metal box. Ive lived in a tiny caravan before and it drove me crazy! Everyday practicalities can be nightmare and the economy of constanty moving around will cost. Anyhow try it and see IMHO it would be better to change location, ive lived in London and thought it was a mad mayhem of hassle. If youre willing to upstake try somewhere like Inverness- employment opportunities with plenty of places to park up on the outskirts [for free] and you wont be bothered. On the Black Isle 10m north of Inverness I rented a large park home for just £60 pw, lots of options like that here. Also you wouldn't need to be in 'stealth mode' in the highlands so could get something bigger and more suited for full time living. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Broom View Post
                  Hi Luke I feel you may a romanticised idea of what living in a van would be like, yes I know grafting all week and handing a hefty slice to the landlord isn't good but neither is the uncomfortable [relative] confines of a small metal box. Ive lived in a tiny caravan before and it drove me crazy! Everyday practicalities can be nightmare and the economy of constanty moving around will cost. Anyhow try it and see IMHO it would be better to change location, ive lived in London and thought it was a mad mayhem of hassle. If youre willing to upstake try somewhere like Inverness- employment opportunities with plenty of places to park up on the outskirts [for free] and you wont be bothered. On the Black Isle 10m north of Inverness I rented a large park home for just £60 pw, lots of options like that here. Also you wouldn't need to be in 'stealth mode' in the highlands so could get something bigger and more suited for full time living. Best of luck!
                  Thanks man, I really like hearing stories like that, you have lived in there, being in my shoes so you can definitely comment on your experience. I do understand that in this life style I would need to downsize as well as learn to make ordinary things differently, it may not be that comfortable, I'm sure it won't be but again having large sum of money every month is a winning factor for me.

Again, I'm lucky enough to have the job, have roof over my head and have some money I can play with, some people don't have it so I really appreciate what I've got however I cannot see a possibility of saving/making more money having the current life style. I can possibly cut 20% on the food but the saving overall will be quite pathetic.

I hear you there, without trying it myself I would constantly think of that path and without exploring it I would be always living inspired by the dream until it will be too late to pull the trigger. Grass is always greener elsewhere they say... I still need to do loads of research in terms of actual car, places etc etc, I would like to bring this idea into play ideally next spring, so I will learn on how to live in it before the winter which I guess would be the hardest time. I'm not saying that this definitely will happen next year, it could be a year after but that will be a maximum, I want to have a good car, ideally (for now) R20, spend some money on it making it perfect, have that 10-12K safety nest, pay insurance, road tax etc etc up front for a year etc etc...

I know that I will be able to speak with my boss and agree to work remotely, this is something we already discussed when I was month off from the work and were able to work from home when I was ill. This could lead to changing a place, but where would I go? I don't really know. I was always living in Kingston and know it's surroundings pretty well, have been in Scotland as a child so this all changed now and was going towards sea side now and then but never stayed overnight...

Inverness sounds cool, I will do research on that! Very interesting I say, my only worry is what do I do without places I know, I really like the area I'm in, although it is overpopulated but it has some magic in it, probably due to my childhood, school etc etc... Oh well, show must go on...

Comment

It's swings and roundabouts luke84 .

You are lucky enough to have the sort of computer skills that enable you to work from "home" and an accommodating boss who will let you.

You'll spend a lot of money on a (smallish) van to make it perfect for you in your dream wanderings, but if it doesn't pan out that money is dead money because what you add might not be what somebody else is prepared to pay extra for.

You want to be "at one" with nature Scotland would be one place to let you do thaat.

Of course, there would also be the colder weather, darker, earlier nights to take into account, but the scenery is stunning as is the wildlife

I wish you luck in your venture, indeed your adventure. It is a big undertaking

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                      It's swings and roundabouts luke84 .

You are lucky enough to have the sort of computer skills that enable you to work from "home" and an accommodating boss who will let you.

You'll spend a lot of money on a (smallish) van to make it perfect for you in your dream wanderings, but if it doesn't pan out that money is dead money because what you add might not be what somebody else is prepared to pay extra for.

You want to be "at one" with nature Scotland would be one place to let you do thaat.

Of course, there would also be the colder weather, darker, earlier nights to take into account, but the scenery is stunning as is the wildlife

I wish you luck in your venture, indeed your adventure. It is a big undertaking
                      Hi Sandra, very true but I may move these addons into a newer VAN/bigger VAN shall I consider buying later so if someone would like to pay less then I guess there will be an option to crack the deal.

Thank you very much for such a lovely comment as well as this warm welcoming to the forum. I'm actually thrilled to hear more of your opinions, you all opened my eyes to things I haven't considered. Thank you

Comment

There was a man lived in his car in a layby on the A19 in Scotland. He was there for a couple of years, I believe, just moving off for shopping etc. He might even still be there, so it can be done!

Comment

Originally posted by emmerson View Post
                          There was a man lived in his car in a layby on the A19 in Scotland. He was there for a couple of years, I believe, just moving off for shopping etc. He might even still be there, so it can be done!
                          oh ok, do you know what sort of car was it? layby sounds awful as you probably hear and feel all the passing cars. Again not sure how busy the A19 in Scotland is but M25 in London may wipe him off

As long as the man is happy with his life...

Comment

I have been thinking - you are putting at the top of your list some things which may be relevant inside the M25 (or any other big city) but not in the countryside - like footprint of the van for parking. And the other issue fuel consumption - really this is not your car you are choosing it is your home.
                            As you said you do not know the R20 except from pictures. Maybe you should visit some campervan / motorhome dealers and sit in some vans. Then imagine a cold dark night, the rain lashing down the van rocking in every gust of wind - you have been in the van more or less continuously for the last 24 hours because of the weather. The atmosphere is damp, from your clothes last time you went out, it is stale (if you open a rooflight or window the rain comes in) you can smell the last food you cooked, and a faint chemical whiff from the portapotti. That is a part of the reality of being in the van - for most of us on this site it is fine we are on holiday and the odd bad days are part of life - but if you live in the van middle of winter it will be a different story. I think a tiny van like the R20 will really be walls closing in on you.
                            Where I am getting to is, have you considered the small coachbuilt NuSurfs - same / similar base vehicle but just that much bigger accomodation.
                            Jon

Comment

luke84 I think you may benefit from reading this book "Writing on The Road: Campervan Love and the Joy of Solitude" Book by Sue Reid Sexton.
                              The author goes away and writes most of her books in her van - when this book was written she had a little Romahome demountable on a Daihatsu she now has a Romahome Duo.
                              No it is not about sex in a campervan, but about loving one's campervan
                              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                                I have been thinking - you are putting at the top of your list some things which may be relevant inside the M25 (or any other big city) but not in the countryside - like footprint of the van for parking. And the other issue fuel consumption - really this is not your car you are choosing it is your home.
                                As you said you do not know the R20 except from pictures. Maybe you should visit some campervan / motorhome dealers and sit in some vans. Then imagine a cold dark night, the rain lashing down the van rocking in every gust of wind - you have been in the van more or less continuously for the last 24 hours because of the weather. The atmosphere is damp, from your clothes last time you went out, it is stale (if you open a rooflight or window the rain comes in) you can smell the last food you cooked, and a faint chemical whiff from the portapotti. That is a part of the reality of being in the van - for most of us on this site it is fine we are on holiday and the odd bad days are part of life - but if you live in the van middle of winter it will be a different story. I think a tiny van like the R20 will really be walls closing in on you.
                                Where I am getting to is, have you considered the small coachbuilt NuSurfs - same / similar base vehicle but just that much bigger accomodation.
                                Jon
                                Thank you for your very constructive post, there are definitely down sides of living in van when everyone else have a comfort of the life, again luckily I’m not forced to be homeless, this is a choice I’m making in good faith as I believe there is so much to benefit from it as well as having this different outlook on life and probably appreciate things a little more.
                                You got me very interested in these NuSurfs, do you guys know how much you will need to pay for one? I have found a Berlingo on eBay, 1998, no doubt there will be stuff to do but perhaps with 3-4K investment I can make it sparkling new! What you reckon? Is it a sensible move? I’m still spending below 10K where buying R20 I will be really looking at 15-20K mark just for the vehicle in the state I want. What are the down points of these NuSurfs?

I believe footprint of the van would not be an issue in any places as long as there is available space for others, when I see there is one to five places left I will simply chose another area not to be in a way of locals who might be back from work etc and find my van parked in their spot, again I want to make friends not enemies and would really respect people.

Comment