Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living in the motorhome full time?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
    luke84 I think you may benefit from reading this book "Writing on The Road: Campervan Love and the Joy of Solitude" Book by Sue Reid Sexton.
    The author goes away and writes most of her books in her van - when this book was written she had a little Romahome demountable on a Daihatsu she now has a Romahome Duo.
    No it is not about sex in a campervan, but about loving one's campervan
    Jon
    Haha, good one ! It didn’t even cross my mind but now I cannot think of anything else when I read this title, thanks for that !

    I shall check it out, reading and writing is somewhat my passion so that’s on my list now! Thank you very much for that !

    Comment


      #32
      luke84, if you go to the green band at the top of the page you will find a section "vans for sale"

      There is a 2006 Nu Venture Surf on there for £16, 000 and there will be photos of the inside for you to look at

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by SandraM View Post
        luke84, if you go to the green band at the top of the page you will find a section "vans for sale"

        There is a 2006 Nu Venture Surf on there for £16, 000 and there will be photos of the inside for you to look at
        Oh I see, thanks. I like the fact this is a new shape and it is very clean, budget wise it is great but there are two things which bothers me: the one I found on eBay (cheap 6K one), have shower unit as well as toilet which is awesome as if I would be looking at slightly larger vans I may need that shower facility to be included. The other aspect is the height of the unit as well as the width, I’m worried that it would not be that easy to find a spot with it, I might be mistaken as again I’m judging by the several pictures I have seen. Please do correct me if I’m wrong.

        Comment


          #34
          Hi luke84 ,

          I have some friends who live in a motorhome full time and the thing I hear the most is that it's difficult to collect mail.

          You don't have a registered address, so I imagine you will have to find an address where your mail can go to.

          Tahir

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by lovemymotorhome View Post
            Hi luke84 ,

            I have some friends who live in a motorhome full time and the thing I hear the most is that it's difficult to collect mail.

            You don't have a registered address, so I imagine you will have to find an address where your mail can go to.

            Tahir
            Hi Tahir,

            That's already covered, I do have at least 3 places I can get my post delivered. No worries there

            Cheers

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by luke84 View Post

              Oh I see, thanks. I like the fact this is a new shape and it is very clean, budget wise it is great but there are two things which bothers me: the one I found on eBay (cheap 6K one), have shower unit as well as toilet which is awesome as if I would be looking at slightly larger vans I may need that shower facility to be included. The other aspect is the height of the unit as well as the width, I’m worried that it would not be that easy to find a spot with it, I might be mistaken as again I’m judging by the several pictures I have seen. Please do correct me if I’m wrong.
              Luke shower is great - but can lead to damp issues read Martinez https://community.smallmotorhome.co....venture/page12
              That said I enjoyed using ours - last year we were away for 4 weeks and most washing was wet wipes and dtrip wash - this year new van and showers
              Next point - for many years I have owned high top vans instead of pop tops - too lazy to push-up roofs and I think long-term pop-tops would be (a) claustrophobic (b) loss of high level storage space. I can assure you storage will soon become an issue - no matter how big a vam you eventually decide upon. Which brings me to height and parking - the only places height is an issue is where there is a height barrier - rarely are they higher than 2 metres so even a small high-top van will not get in - places covered by height barriers tend to be monitored and overnight stops are specifically precluded. I suggest you look at a couple of apps - park4night and searchforsites
              Near you I have found potential park-up places Church Street TW7 6BE and Old Palace Lane TW9 1PG and Richmond lock TW1 1OX
              That is just to demonstrate how simple - if you were to walk around those places in the evening you may spot wilders - look for fridge vents on the side of stealth vans - they are a give-away.
              The only time I have had a problem when wilding was when I had a break-down and could not move for another reason I did not wish to call out my recovery service for 3 days so I did not move for that period of time. The problem was being asked when I was moving by a local resident! - Not Major!
              Jon

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

                Luke shower is great - but can lead to damp issues read Martinez https://community.smallmotorhome.co....venture/page12
                That said I enjoyed using ours - last year we were away for 4 weeks and most washing was wet wipes and dtrip wash - this year new van and showers
                Next point - for many years I have owned high top vans instead of pop tops - too lazy to push-up roofs and I think long-term pop-tops would be (a) claustrophobic (b) loss of high level storage space. I can assure you storage will soon become an issue - no matter how big a vam you eventually decide upon. Which brings me to height and parking - the only places height is an issue is where there is a height barrier - rarely are they higher than 2 metres so even a small high-top van will not get in - places covered by height barriers tend to be monitored and overnight stops are specifically precluded. I suggest you look at a couple of apps - park4night and searchforsites
                Near you I have found potential park-up places Church Street TW7 6BE and Old Palace Lane TW9 1PG and Richmond lock TW1 1OX
                That is just to demonstrate how simple - if you were to walk around those places in the evening you may spot wilders - look for fridge vents on the side of stealth vans - they are a give-away.
                The only time I have had a problem when wilding was when I had a break-down and could not move for another reason I did not wish to call out my recovery service for 3 days so I did not move for that period of time. The problem was being asked when I was moving by a local resident! - Not Major!
                Jon
                Thanks Jon,

                I may think about that, last night I noticed a nice Mazda Bongo, take a look and tell me if this is something to consider, I can install LPG installation so petrol can be even cheaper. It has a table, it has a fridge and the bed, loo is £150 tops https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans...ing/1348302509

                I have this app already installed, played around with it, there is still many spots to be discovered I reckon. Wow, amount of people living this way is a little worrying, isn’t it? I can understand if this is a choice of one but if one has been pushed by life to do that, it’s no more fun. I can always get back to some cosy flat or whatever, but actual homeless guy with a van who hasn’t got any job or income would be forced to live in that van forever (until it breaks).

                What about our worries such as youths, residents, police etc etc. Much to worry about? I don’t want to be stubbed overnight (not that I fancy being stubbed during the day ), but you know what I mean. Worries are still there...

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by luke84 View Post

                  Thanks Jon,

                  I may think about that, last night I noticed a nice Mazda Bongo, take a look and tell me if this is something to consider, I can install LPG installation so petrol can be even cheaper. It has a table, it has a fridge and the bed, loo is £150 tops https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans...ing/1348302509


                  What about our worries such as youths, residents, police etc etc. Much to worry about? I don’t want to be stubbed overnight (not that I fancy being stubbed during the day ), but you know what I mean. Worries are still there...
                  I would not be considering a van like the Bongo - To be really usable as a home - the roof goes up - instantly advertising that you are camping - lots of motorhomes are parked with blinds / curtains drawn for privacy, to protect the interior from sun etc.

                  The VW type layout with Rock'n'Roll Bed is not the greatest - the Bongo also uses this VW type layout - it is designed for people who are using the van for holidays. If you see this type of van on sites more often than not they are using an awning as an annexe. Notice the seller regards 2 weeks away as being quite epic in duration.

                  Jon

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

                    I would not be considering a van like the Bongo - To be really usable as a home - the roof goes up - instantly advertising that you are camping - lots of motorhomes are parked with blinds / curtains drawn for privacy, to protect the interior from sun etc.

                    The VW type layout with Rock'n'Roll Bed is not the greatest - the Bongo also uses this VW type layout - it is designed for people who are using the van for holidays. If you see this type of van on sites more often than not they are using an awning as an annexe. Notice the seller regards 2 weeks away as being quite epic in duration.

                    Jon
                    very true Jon, this is good for get away with family and probably bed is horrible too. I’m looking at some NuVu type campers, I like them, my worry is that “other” people may like it too and get in it when I’m sleeping...

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Late to the thread as usual, but will add a few comments in case they haven't already been covered.
                      I used to have an 5.5-metre long Merc Hymer which over a number of years I lived in for up to 4 months at a time while working on campsites around Europe over the summer, and full time for periods whilst I was in the process of moving countries and had to keep returning back to the UK to complete my work commitments after I had sold my UK house. So that is what my comments are based on. bear in mind that mine was a large vehicle with toilet, shower, full size fridge, kitchen with loads of cupboard space, gas cooker with 2 hobs plus another two hobs, a living area with storage, a full size wardrobe and a rock'n'roll bed that I didn't have to make and un-make every day.

                      The main negatives that come to mind are:
                      1 - I wouldn't have wanted to live in anything smaller. As it was I used to get cabin fever when the weather was bad and I was huddled in the same space all day keeping warm and dry. I am solitary by nature and can happily entertain myself - I don't have TV but I read a lot, I listen to music, I write, I have my work online, and I enjoy cooking - but in winter when it's dark by 4 o'clock the evenings can seem very long and after a bad day it's easy to slide into a depression and start feeling sorry for yourself.
                      2 - It's a problem when the vehicle needs servicing or repair, especially if the garage can't finish the work in a day, because where do you live then?
                      3 - Being ill with no home comforts and especially unlimited hot and cold running water is miserable.
                      3 - Not having a genuine residential address is not ideal. It is a bit dodgy using friends' addresses where you don't really live, for your vehicle log book, insurance, driving licence etc. What are you going to do about the electoral register - are your friends going to add you to their address? If not, you may run into issues in the future over things like credit applications, criminal record checks should you need one, where you have to provide your address history going back 5 or 10 years and they check the electoral register to make sure you lived where you claim to have lived.
                      4 - Especially if you are at the same time leading a "normal" life you have to be organised about doing the laundry and looking after your clothes and personal hygiene, especially if you don't have room for many changes of clothes and bedclothes. If you let your bed sheets get smelly and your clothes get crumpled and you don't shower regularly you will get self-conscious about feeling grubby and looking scruffy.
                      5 - I used to worry about security, leaving all my worldly possessions unattended all day in something so relatively easy to break into, but in fact it never happened.

                      In the summer living in the van, or rather living outside and eating and sleeping in the van was a great lifestyle or I wouldn't have kept doing it. In the winter it wasn't so great. My strategy was that I found a number of pubs in the area around my office that were happy to let me stay in their car parks overnight after I had patronised their bar/restaurant, and mostly I used to rotate around those, spending a couple of nights at one, then moving on to another, interspersed with night either wild or at a campsite so as not to wear out my welcome at the pubs. I also found a couple of sites that full timers used. One was a fairly rough farm campsite with no facilities as I recall, just they let vans park in their field and there was a bit of a colony of travellers set up there. The other was an odd arrangement because it was a council owned campsite in a forest but it was unattended, you booked and paid by phone and they gave you the code for the barrier and the shower block which they changed each week. There were a number of regulars who always seemed to be there, some had set up pretty permanent looking awnings and stuff, not sure whether they paid or not or whether (as I suspected) they took it in turn to pay and told everyone the new code, or if anyone from the council ever turned up to check. The fee was very cheap in any case. I stayed there from time to time but it had a slightly weird ambiance, I wasn't entirely comfortable there.

                      Those are some of the things I took away from the experience, for you to consider or ignore as you wish. Good luck if you go for it


                      Away with the Fairies

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by Voyageuse View Post
                        Late to the thread as usual, but will add a few comments in case they haven't already been covered.
                        I used to have an 5.5-metre long Merc Hymer which over a number of years I lived in for up to 4 months at a time while working on campsites around Europe over the summer, and full time for periods whilst I was in the process of moving countries and had to keep returning back to the UK to complete my work commitments after I had sold my UK house. So that is what my comments are based on. bear in mind that mine was a large vehicle with toilet, shower, full size fridge, kitchen with loads of cupboard space, gas cooker with 2 hobs plus another two hobs, a living area with storage, a full size wardrobe and a rock'n'roll bed that I didn't have to make and un-make every day.

                        The main negatives that come to mind are:
                        1 - I wouldn't have wanted to live in anything smaller. As it was I used to get cabin fever when the weather was bad and I was huddled in the same space all day keeping warm and dry. I am solitary by nature and can happily entertain myself - I don't have TV but I read a lot, I listen to music, I write, I have my work online, and I enjoy cooking - but in winter when it's dark by 4 o'clock the evenings can seem very long and after a bad day it's easy to slide into a depression and start feeling sorry for yourself.
                        2 - It's a problem when the vehicle needs servicing or repair, especially if the garage can't finish the work in a day, because where do you live then?
                        3 - Being ill with no home comforts and especially unlimited hot and cold running water is miserable.
                        3 - Not having a genuine residential address is not ideal. It is a bit dodgy using friends' addresses where you don't really live, for your vehicle log book, insurance, driving licence etc. What are you going to do about the electoral register - are your friends going to add you to their address? If not, you may run into issues in the future over things like credit applications, criminal record checks should you need one, where you have to provide your address history going back 5 or 10 years and they check the electoral register to make sure you lived where you claim to have lived.
                        4 - Especially if you are at the same time leading a "normal" life you have to be organised about doing the laundry and looking after your clothes and personal hygiene, especially if you don't have room for many changes of clothes and bedclothes. If you let your bed sheets get smelly and your clothes get crumpled and you don't shower regularly you will get self-conscious about feeling grubby and looking scruffy.
                        5 - I used to worry about security, leaving all my worldly possessions unattended all day in something so relatively easy to break into, but in fact it never happened.

                        In the summer living in the van, or rather living outside and eating and sleeping in the van was a great lifestyle or I wouldn't have kept doing it. In the winter it wasn't so great. My strategy was that I found a number of pubs in the area around my office that were happy to let me stay in their car parks overnight after I had patronised their bar/restaurant, and mostly I used to rotate around those, spending a couple of nights at one, then moving on to another, interspersed with night either wild or at a campsite so as not to wear out my welcome at the pubs. I also found a couple of sites that full timers used. One was a fairly rough farm campsite with no facilities as I recall, just they let vans park in their field and there was a bit of a colony of travellers set up there. The other was an odd arrangement because it was a council owned campsite in a forest but it was unattended, you booked and paid by phone and they gave you the code for the barrier and the shower block which they changed each week. There were a number of regulars who always seemed to be there, some had set up pretty permanent looking awnings and stuff, not sure whether they paid or not or whether (as I suspected) they took it in turn to pay and told everyone the new code, or if anyone from the council ever turned up to check. The fee was very cheap in any case. I stayed there from time to time but it had a slightly weird ambiance, I wasn't entirely comfortable there.

                        Those are some of the things I took away from the experience, for you to consider or ignore as you wish. Good luck if you go for it

                        Thanks for that. You clearly have some experience in doing this. Large motorhome can be like a little flat, agree to that 100%.

                        As to address negatives:
                        1. Fair point about winder and getting bored, although I can just focus on work I cannot imagine sitting there with all lights on and drawing attention to myself, that’s something to consider. I must say that at the moment I’m feeling a bit low and its summer for Christ sake ! I don’t need TV but reading/writing and iPad entertainment is a must, cannot do it with lights off as my eyes will be tired in no time.
                        2. When van is broken I will just go to Travelodge or equivalent, budget will be prepared for that, just in case, as long as the vehicle it does not fail every month!
                        3. It is very silly of me but I forgot about having cold, flu or any other “fever” states... True, no idea what to do then!
                        4. True, my uncle said that I can definitely use their address so this would not be an issue at all, it will be genuine address.
                        5. This I would hate but I may rent a cheap garage to “expand” the storage and keep all the stuff I need over there, there will be electricity in the garage so in theory I could install washing machine there, there is a water supply I guess too. For hygiene I’m planning to get gym membership and I would visit that place on daily basis so no stinky days for me - in theory
                        6. Glad to hear that, this is probably the biggest risk, if someone take a laptop of me, fine, I have data backed on cloud, and I can fairly easily get a replacement but it is my bread and butter and setting it up for my need will always require hours of work, this is something which would make me super upset...

                        Great idea about pubs, question is: would many accept “larger” vehicle... I would be happy to dine in of course.

                        These travellers on farm - was that in UK? Wow... Very interesting, how were these people? The council owned one sounds great as long as it’s not too pricey. How much they asked for it and where was it please?

                        The last thing I want is people looking at me and feeling sorry for me, thinking I’m a homeless guy etc, this would put me down... I want couple of things from this idea, first is being better of financially and be able to save some money, second is to be closer to the nature and try to simplify the life...

                        I have more and more doubts and worries to be honest...

                        Comment


                          #42
                          What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?
                          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                            What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?
                            I'm an IT engineer specialised in data storage so anything to do with storage, backup as well as other aspects of IT (security etc), it is quite wide description on things which I'm capable of doing but at the same time it's rather niche business...

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by luke84 View Post

                              I'm an IT engineer specialised in data storage so anything to do with storage, backup as well as other aspects of IT (security etc), it is quite wide description on things which I'm capable of doing but at the same time it's rather niche business...
                              It does sound like the kind of job you can do from anywhere. Just my opinion of course but I would take a serious look at moving to a cheaper area where you could afford a more permanent residence, even if it was just for the winter months and spend the summers in the van.

                              I do understand the appeal of living full time in a mobile residence but i think that appeal is based on not having to still do routine things like going to work etc. My Wife and I are steam enthusiasts and our absolute dream would be to buy a full-sized traction engine with a living wagon to tow behind and spend all summer rallying it to all the big shows, taking it on the roads under its own power from one show to the next. We know people who do that and its a very exciting, adventurous life but none of them have to worry about going to work, paying bills or receiving their post. They all have homes to go back to once the adventure ends and i think thats the crux of the problem, you can put up with being cramped and inconvenienced when you know there is an end date to it. When there is no end in sight i think it would get very miserable, very quickly.

                              I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.
                              Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Rob B View Post

                                It does sound like the kind of job you can do from anywhere. Just my opinion of course but I would take a serious look at moving to a cheaper area where you could afford a more permanent residence, even if it was just for the winter months and spend the summers in the van.

                                I do understand the appeal of living full time in a mobile residence but i think that appeal is based on not having to still do routine things like going to work etc. My Wife and I are steam enthusiasts and our absolute dream would be to buy a full-sized traction engine with a living wagon to tow behind and spend all summer rallying it to all the big shows, taking it on the roads under its own power from one show to the next. We know people who do that and its a very exciting, adventurous life but none of them have to worry about going to work, paying bills or receiving their post. They all have homes to go back to once the adventure ends and i think thats the crux of the problem, you can put up with being cramped and inconvenienced when you know there is an end date to it. When there is no end in sight i think it would get very miserable, very quickly.

                                I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.
                                It is that kind of job. This is definitely something to consider, do you have acknowledgement of what areas I could move to? Something with no high crime rates and rather nice people around ?

                                I can work remotely but still I will be expected to work around 40h per week Monday - Friday. Buying caravan is nice but unfortunately I have never towed anything in my life and I read horror stories about doing so, also my driving license is "B" only and car I'm having currently is too heavy to have a caravan (old Lex RX300).

                                Thanks a lot once again Rob.

                                Comment

                                Related Topics

                                Collapse

                                320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                                Collapse

                                728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X