Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living in the motorhome full time?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by luke84 View Post

    This is great and also you are putting that money towards your own home which one day will be fully paid, it’s value on other hand is expected to growth over years too. My problem is that I was always living in this area, before I was studying, then paying my student loan, I was always able to save something due to frugal living but there was always something I had to spend some money on... I have too little saved to consider a mortgage, would need 30K more before this would be even doable...
    Not necessarily. Round here a 2 bed terrace is circa £110k and most lenders will give you a mortgage on a 10% deposit or even 5% if you qualify for the help to buy scheme.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by Rob B View Post

      Not necessarily. Round here a 2 bed terrace is circa £110k and most lenders will give you a mortgage on a 10% deposit or even 5% if you qualify for the help to buy scheme.
      wow, here you need to have 500K for a sensible house and that's not fantastic either, of course you can find cheaper properties for £300K but they would require loads of work to be done... It's just no win situation, problem with deposit is that in my case when I contacted and visited mortgage advisor, I would need 30% deposit which is 90K, then you have other expenses, solicitor, stamp duty, furniture, easily you are getting into 100K bracket MINIMUM... Who has 100K in the age of 35, OK there are people who make 100K per year, fine, they also have family to support them etc... I don't... There is also another factor, usually when people are calculating the mortgage they can only lend you 3.5 times of what you earn per year, in my case that is maximum of 110K which in your area might be doable, the problem is that I don't know this area at all, don't know people up there, it's just like starting a new life.

      The plan always was to move out for up to 5 years, leave on budget but stay happy at the same time and save around 1K per month regardless, then I would have that 60K saved in 5 years time + whatever I have now and we are back to Surbiton with a nice deposit to get perhaps 3 bedroom, rent one room out and that way even mortgage itself would feel low in area where houses would always rise in price. Well, that was a plan anyway...

      Comment


        #63
        luke84 Having somewhere where friends/ family could visit/ stay over might be a plus, if you could find the right location at the right cost.

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by CJ. UK View Post
          luke84 Having somewhere where friends/ family could visit/ stay over might be a plus, if you could find the right location at the right cost.
          Definitely, problem is that not many here has a car as everyone I know use public transport really...

          Comment


            #65
            Far less spent on public transport north of Watford but some folk do manage to escape on occasion. You might however have to collect them from nearest town/ city in your lovely new van.

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by CJ. UK View Post
              Far less spent on public transport north of Watford but some folk do manage to escape on occasion. You might however have to collect them from nearest town/ city in your lovely new van.
              I really need to look into it, but I want to do camping as well It may all be a game changer now

              Comment


                #67
                Runcorn is quite cheap housing wise, mainline station, London 2hrs, Liverpool 20 mins.

                Studio Apartment £42500
                https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-51671547.html

                Riverside Apartment £60000
                https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-62212713.html

                Terraced house £67500
                https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-63089511.html

                Lots of places under 100k.

                Also easy access to Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia for weekend camping.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by JazziJ View Post
                  Runcorn is quite cheap housing wise, mainline station, London 2hrs, Liverpool 20 mins.

                  Studio Apartment £42500
                  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-51671547.html

                  Riverside Apartment £60000
                  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-62212713.html

                  Terraced house £67500
                  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-63089511.html

                  Lots of places under 100k.

                  Also easy access to Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia for weekend camping.
                  Nice, the riverside apartment is lovely, something like that in Kingston or Richmond and you easily spending 800K to a Mil ! My only worry is that these are Leasehold and when I will be buying I would want a Freehold property...

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Have you thought of renting a van for a month and living in it as you plan, just to see if it works out? It would help you to see the problems and if there is any way to resolve them before committing yourself.

                    My other thought is: a small van means a small water tank. When I am away in my Romahome, I have to fill the water tank every two days, and empty the waste tank just as often. If you're living on streets / car parks, how would you fill up on water so frequently?

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by chelsea1 View Post
                      Have you thought of renting a van for a month and living in it as you plan, just to see if it works out? It would help you to see the problems and if there is any way to resolve them before committing yourself.

                      My other thought is: a small van means a small water tank. When I am away in my Romahome, I have to fill the water tank every two days, and empty the waste tank just as often. If you're living on streets / car parks, how would you fill up on water so frequently?
                      I have but to be honest not at the rates people are renting them for, sensible van would cost you at least £120 per day and that is £3600 which is probably 1/4th of what I will be investing in buying a good one (well what I consider good).

                      My plan of filling the water is pretty simple, do that at petrol stations or near the garages, pretty much all garages in UK have a tap which you can use with special key. Wasting would be most likely done overnight on petrol station's loo's etc.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by luke84 View Post

                        Hi Tahir,

                        That's already covered, I do have at least 3 places I can get my post delivered. No worries there

                        Cheers
                        Nice, no need to worry about any missing post then

                        I had a quick look to see if there is anything else you should consider if you were to live in a motorhome full time and I came across this https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/...-pros-and-cons.

                        It has some good points to consider.

                        It might be worth a read if there is anyone on this thread thinking about living in a motorhome full time.

                        Thanks,
                        T

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by lovemymotorhome View Post

                          Nice, no need to worry about any missing post then

                          I had a quick look to see if there is anything else you should consider if you were to live in a motorhome full time and I came across this https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/...-pros-and-cons.

                          It has some good points to consider.

                          It might be worth a read if there is anyone on this thread thinking about living in a motorhome full time.

                          Thanks,
                          T
                          That is definitely a valuable information, thanks for that.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Re Water - in my experience of wilding - if in doubt about the source (and both I and Sandra my partner have stomach / bowel problems which make us cautious) The cheapest source of water is supermarket - currently less than 20p for 2 litres. - Some water in garages has been through pipes which are not food grade - got caught once and the tank took a lot of flushing - once was enough!
                            Waste water (grey) ex washing up etc is easy park strategically over a roadside drain and let go.
                            Waste (black) - the toilet - this where the Radar key is very useful. We put used loo paper wetwipes etc into a plastic bag which can go in any dog poo bin.

                            Jon

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Thanks for that, need to obtain that radar key ASAP

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Radar keys are obtainable from eBay. I bought three, one for each of my vehicles at the time. I have since disposed of one and passed the spare key to my daughter who has a newborn as well as a three year old who may find it useful. I have never actually used any of them but they are in the vehicles just in case.
                                Too old to know everything!

                                Comment

                                Related Topics

                                Collapse

                                320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                                Collapse

                                728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X