Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in the motorhome full time?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this fantastic forum, I'm so impressed on how knowledgable members are and how helpful they can be.

I'm a 35 year old lad who is absolutely unable to save enough to get my hands on the property, the cost of living, unexpected expenses, rising rents etc is putting me off completely. I do work full time in 9-5 job and I'm able to bring home an average wage but I feel like I'm a victim of a modern life...

I want to change it all and I'm more thinking of buying something small like Romahome R20 so it can fit on all car parks etc and just travel and live in it full time. As I work in Surrey I would not like to leave the country during the week and at the weekends I would probably visit some cheaper campsites...

What do you think about my idea? Is it doable? I do imagine there is loads of things to give up but certainly I can start saving some money by doing this and other thing is that I will probably meet more people as whole camping society seems very friendly.

Any advise is much appreciated. Criticism as long as it's constructive is also welcome, I'm a hard working man (apparently not stupid )but I'm just not able to get my life together. I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs. I love nature and animals and respect others, I'm not a trouble maker either, a little bit on introvert side and quiet but once I make a friendship it will last forever

To admins/moderators - I'm really sorry if the similar tread is already started, I have tried to look for one but I simply couldn't. If possible please move it to the right field.

As per motorhome, ideally, although I can be wrong, I would like something small like Romahome R20, I would probably install a second leisure battery and some solar panels to charge them constantly, for bad weather, winter, I'm thinking of getting the chinese diesel heater as this could be cheaper than actual gas. I need a comfortable enough bed and table to work on. I can work on the iPad and that is probably the only device I will be using for work and entertainment so USB chargers all the way

I'm hoping to get a porta potti or other chemical toilet, loo is a must due to my IBS and diverticulitis problems, these unfortunately do cost me quite a bit in medication. As per shower I was more leaning towards the gym membership.

Again, your thoughts are very much welcome, any suggestions would help!

Hi Luke
    Just a couple of thoughts.
    A friend’s son lives in his motorhome and has certainly been asked to leave Camping Club sites because he’s a “worker”. Sites in the UK are pretty expensive and can work out the same as normal rent, although there’s no council tax, utilities etc to pay in addition.

Others on this forum may know better than me but I thought I’d heard that you can only stay a max of 28 days without moving?

I’m sure there are other fulltimers on here who will probably be able to advise you better.

Good luck

Chris

Comment

Hello luke84 and welcome to the site

I do understand your thinking (and as far as your personal details - well we are not judgemental on here (Just nosy !! ) you don't have to explain yourself to us.

What about the simple things like receiving post?

I believe Empyrean is right that 28 days is the max on any one campsite but I can stand being corrected!. The Caravan and Motorhome club I believe is 21 days with a 48 hour gap before returning.

What about laundry?

Winter heating, even the Romahomes, insulated as they are, will get cold in very cold weather

You won't have a fixed abode so what about banking etc

I'm sure there are some campsites that will allow you to work from the site, in fact we've stayed on them and had it pointed out that "the chap in that particular van won't be any trouble because he's off to work in the mornings"
      but they will be the small family ones more likely

There would be a lot to think about and organise and being sensible (as I'm sure you are!) you won't rush into anything.

I look forward to replies from others who may have more and personal knowledge for you
      Last edited by SandraM; 07-08-2019, 12:55.

Comment

Thank you very for your input much Chris, I heard it too that your limited stay at the campsite is 28 days or even 3 weeks and then you need to move out for 48h before you can come back again. I was more thinking towards wild camping but I won't lie this idea scare me a little, although it would be a budget friendly compromise.

There are all these little side roads in the borough as well as cul-de-sac streets and occasionally car parks, whatever is free really. I believe that you are not allowed to stay in one place for over 48h so I will be constantly moving. Living in car is not illegal in UK but police may want to question me to see if I'm not on alcohol or drugs, they occasionally may ask to move elsewhere but I don't really see why would they if I respect the neighborough, don't make any mess or noise...

My intention would be to mind my own business and to be fair paying road tax allows you to park wherever you want (subject to the law of course), but this is the whole point of it. My biggest concern would be safety that is why opting for micro campervan/motorhome could be the best possible option, easy to park, more available spots and if you park late enough people may not think that it's someone sleeping there but that one of their neighboroughs just purchased it...

Of course I would like to take all the benefits from both worlds and take my vehicle everywhere I can, visit places I never seen and just enjoy the freedom. Try to work on my character, meet new people, share experiences and save some money!

When checking some campsites last night I have discovered that you can rarely get £10 spots per night, usually you will need to pay £15-£20 and that is quite a bit working out £450-£600 per month, this is still much cheaper than any flat/house or even room in South West London area, it is very expensive here. When doing a rough calculations I should be able to save minimum of £1000 per month which at present I'm only able to put a side no more than £300-£400 per month, that makes a huge sense in long term scenario, even saving £1K per month will leave me with £12K per year which in 5 years will be £60K. That sort of money is not achievable for me at the moment. I do not have relatives who are preparing a hefty will and simply there is not much future for people like me. We all know what sort of pension can be expected, I do put 5% of my wages towards the pension but that's probably a fund for my elderly life.

Thanks a lot and all the thoughts are more than welcome.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just a few things to think about, insurance being the most crucial. I know people do live in motorhomes full time so you must be able to get insurance that covers this but definitely worth looking into so you know what the pitfalls are and what the cost is likely to be.

Presumably you will need to stay in one general location most of the time so you can get to work, have you thought about suitable locations etc and have you checked out the local authorities by laws that govern parking of motorhomes?

Lastly, i also have IBS and as you will know its not easy to live with sometimes. I'm not sure i could cope with just a portaloo as my only toilet, you will need to think about where you are going to empty the cassette too.
          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Perhaps this link might help you luke84

https://www.wandering-bird.com/wild-camp-uk-motorhome/

As you have IBS you may want to consider obtaining a RADAR key which will give you 24 hour access to toilets (and possibly somewhere yo empty your portaloo in the event of an emergency (ie Full) ?

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/s...uine-radar-key.

I too have IBS and Diverticulitis and a RADAR key has proved very useful. Make sure it is a genuine RADAR key though. I bought online to start with and it just didn'tt work although the profile looked right.

We carry a 12v shower, just needs a container of water

Something like a KELLY KETTLE would allow you to boil water using twigs, dried grasses and so conserve your gas
            Last edited by SandraM; 07-08-2019, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
              Hello luke84 and welcome to the site

I do understand your thinking (and as far as your personal details - well we are not judgemental on here (Just nosy !! ) you don't have to explain yourself to us.

What about the simple things like receiving post?

I believe Empyrean is right that 28 days is the max on a one campsite but I can stand being corrected!

What about laundry?

Winter heating, even the Romahomes, insulated as they are, will get cold in very cold weather

You won't have a fixed abode so what about banking etc

I'm sure there are some campsites that will allow you to work from the site, in fact we've stayed on them and had it pointed out that "the chap in that particular van won't be any troule because he's off to work in the mornings"

There would be a lot to think about and organise and being sensible (as I'm sure you are!) you won't rush into anything.

I look forward to replies from others who may have more and personal knowledge for you
              Thank you ever so much for your message Sandra,

Receiving post will be taken care of as I have at least three addresses I can use for that (all friends), have asked, offered money for that but this was refused so I guess I will pay them with kindness and favours

Laundry - I would not like to ask friends for that, I believe having a physical address is as much as I can ask for, I would feel really awkward asking to use their washing machine, so I would be using laundrette services across the country They are not the cheapest but I believe I will be able to visit these places twice or once per month, wash it all, dry it and wear it

Winter is indeed a concern for me, not quite sure how I would handle it but perhaps a diesel heater should make it easier, also romahome is not huge so heating that space should be in theory quick and effective. I would consider having a top quality sleeping bag inside it as well as other "toys" I can get. I'm happy to make it in proper way, save as much as I can, get nice motorhome, then spend some money on it so it's safe on road, safe for sleeping in and full of gadgets which would be handy in day to day life.

Banking will be fine as I will have address at friends and even now I'm not getting any letters from the bank as all is done via green, paperless banking.

This is exactly what I was saying on how supportive people are on this forum. I want to combine couple of things which matters for me:
              1. being as close to the nature as possible and live a simple life, although I'm a technical minded person with IT degree and I do earn my money using these skills.
              2. save as much as possible so I can enjoy my live now rather than spend another 10 years saving on deposit for a small flat which I will be paying until I'm dead, again I do appreciate that this sort of live is what many of us chose to do, and I do respect these people, everyone has their own priorities.

I'm just one of these guys who did a hard calculations and I cannot see that few million pound lottery win changing my life overnight, can I earn more - possibly, but what that would be, an extra 20-30% which then require me to move straight to the city? Not great as then 40-50% more I would spend on living there ! Can I work over the weekends - sure I can, but as I do have a normal 9-5 job I would be having this tax rate and paying over the odds, literally making only 50% of what I earn, so again not ideal solution. I would rather work for charity over the weekends so that way I know I'm doing something life changing for others... Again simple life and paying forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just a few things to think about, insurance being the most crucial. I know people do live in motorhomes full time so you must be able to get insurance that covers this but definitely worth looking into so you know what the pitfalls are and what the cost is likely to be.

Presumably you will need to stay in one general location most of the time so you can get to work, have you thought about suitable locations etc and have you checked out the local authorities by laws that govern parking of motorhomes?

Lastly, i also have IBS and as you will know its not easy to live with sometimes. I'm not sure i could cope with just a portaloo as my only toilet, you will need to think about where you are going to empty the cassette too.
                Thank you for the message Rob,

Insurance - I have checked this and was surprised seeing prices just from £320 to maximum of £600 per year, I did a check and car insurance would cost at least double that amount. I'm happy to pay any extra life, health and content insurance to support it side by side. Road tax will be about maybe £300 per year, annual service even £600 per year can be easily put on side. I do plan to purchase a romahome or equivalent (as long as it is classified as motorhome so that way a cheaper insurance can be obtained) and then have minimum £10K saved, available in my account for any emergencies which may occur, in case of flood or God knows what can happen...

It seems of locations - it is unpredictable, I know of few places which looks ok, there are no signs or any particular laws but there is always this human factor, someone may not like to see me around as they would be concerned. Again, I have no intention to look suspicious, I'm very transparent guy and I don't want to get in a way or get to any kind of troubles. I do like to speak about problems and I still believe that being kind and respectful to people you get more points in life The only good thing is that Romahome HyLo is looking as an estate car really and for many it will be classified as citroen berlingo van or something of that kind. It is not massive motorhome so it would not look as obvious that someone is living in it.

Very good point about the loo, this and safety are my two main concerns and I won't lie, I don't know how would I live with it. Problem is that the minute I wake up I need to go to the loo, when I finish a meal, 5minutes and I end up in the loo and so on... I do rely on visiting gym daily, that way I can use their facilities but for any emergency I would use the in-car loo. Planning to empty it in the service stations probably, I would never damp anything on the road, I have strong believing factor that we should be nicer to our surroundings and we need to respect it.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                  Perhaps this link might help you luke84

https://www.wandering-bird.com/wild-camp-uk-motorhome/

As you have IBS you may want to consider obtaining a RADAR key which will give you 24 hour access to toilets (and possibly somewhere yo empty your portaloo in the event of an emergency (ie Full) ?

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/s...uine-radar-key.

I too have IBS and Diverticulitis and a RADAR key has proved very useful. Make sure it is a genuine RADAR key though. I bought online to start with and it just didn'tt work although the profile looked right.

We carry a 12v shower, just needs a container of water

Something like a KELLY KETTLE would allow you to boil water using twigs, dried grasses and so conserve your gas

Wow, thank you so much Sandra, that is actually brilliant, I had no idea something like this existed. BTW that illness is horrible, isn't it? I end up in hospital last year (last May bank holiday to be precise in 2018) and my whole life changed, I cannot even eat anything spicy, no tomatoes for me either. I used to drink loads of coke, now I'm only on the water. It is a horrible disease and makes life more difficult.

Again, thanks so much, this is opening more doors and possibilities for me!

Comment

Can i ask where you currently live Luke?
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Yes of course, Rob, it's Kingston Upon Thames, and my work is located in Surbiton. I'm happy to go as far as Guildford and their surroundings

Comment

I take it thats outside the ultra low emission zone ?

Comment

If you are thinking in terms of a small van then finding a place for a loo inside may be a bit difficult, even the smallest can be bulky. Of course, there is only the one of you so you might manage it.

Something collapsible like a Bog in a Bag might suit you and the bags can be disposed of fairly easily. You wouldn't then have to worry about carrying chemicals with you.

41rE205Ko+L._AC_UL320_.jpg

For emergency "freshening up" if no shower readily available, there are extra large wetwipes which are double sided. One make is OASIS and the unperfumed ones are fairly cheap.

oasis_bed_bath_8_unscented_001.jpg

Neither the Boginabag bags or the wipes are very ecologically friendly but might help you out in an emergency

Comment

Originally posted by kyran View Post
                            I take it thats outside the ultra low emission zone ?
                            That's right, it is outside ULEZ (even considering their expansion in 2021) and the campervan will be LEZ friendly, have checked these of course.

Comment

Hi Luke,
                              I think an R20 is far too small for your needs. You certainly want a separate loo compartment, somewhere to stretch out and unless you are ocd tidy somewhere to put things down.
                              My unit was fitted out by a couple who when they retired lived in it for several years. It has a place, a wetroom for the shower and Thetford portapotti. Could I live in it 365 days a year? Maybe! Could I live in it with my partner 365 days a year? - Dubious - despite the fact we took our small demountable away for a month last year without a crossed word.
                              For wilding you may find a "stealth van" would suit better than a motorhome.
                              I do not know what part of the country you live, but in rural areas wilding is easier than in urban areas - that said I do know people who wild, during the week inside the M25,
                              One piece of advice I have been given when wilding is move from your night time location during the day even if you are returning that night.
                              Also Google there are other sites dealing specifically with people who live in their vans full time.

Jon

Comment