This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of site do you prefer?

I have been told recently that some of our family didnt like Moreton in Marsh because it had limited toilet and shower provisions.
    M in M is a rally field,it just happens to back onto a 5 site CS,which lets the rally use its facilities,the field cost £7.50/unit/night.
    Sites that can take rallys are few,usually with minimal facilities,a field,freshwater,and a manhole for toilet waste,prices from £4 to £8/unit/night depending on location.
    Sites that have male/female toilet/showers,EHU,hardstandings,chem waste disposal,dont usually cater for rallys,but if they are big enough we may get in at £10-£15/unit/night.

Farm sites tend to be remote with limited facilities,sites near towns,beaches,sites of interest,are usually booked well in advance and dont want big groups.

So,
    for next year,what do you want folks?
    Ian

Further thoughts!
    Some of our family have said they would like a longer meet than the 2 nights we have been doing,as long journeys make 2 nights not enough,it has been suggested that midweek to midweek is better,but weekends can be difficult to book unless well in advance.

I am prepared to run another meet at Moreton in Marsh, Whinchcome is also a possiblity but will cost twice the price,would anyone be interested in another visit to the Cotswolds,and what about Caravan Club sites?we all have caravans!

I need feedback on all of this,so come on folks lets hear it!
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 29-07-2011, 09:24.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Hello Ian hope the shingles bout is receding, I know when a friend of mine had it she was on morphine, so really don't envy you.

Didn't go to Moreton, so can't comment on that particular site. My favourite sites are:
    Peaceful
    walks directly from site, or dog walk on site
    Showers if no ehu
    Interesting places nearby
    Don't charge extra for pup tent ( no, dog doesn't sleep in it, used as chair storage etc)

Re caravan club sites, we've stayed at Morn Hill a few times, as it's within striking distance of Portsmouth for the ferry, and Southampton for Freeborn. It has good disabled facilities, as well as meeting all our critera. There is a beautiful walk from the site across a conservation area which was full of cowslips when we were there in May, you can continue the walk into Winchester which takes about 3/4 of an hour. There is also a bus which stops almost outside the site and takes you into Winchester bus station. We caught it back after a walk in and explore of the town. Cost about £3 for 2 of us and the dog.

There is also a Science Discovery Centre within 5-10 minutes walk from the site.

As CC members, we paid £9 for a midweek overnight a couple of weeks ago when we were on our way home from France.

Don't know about local pubs, but I'm sure there are some!

Comment

Ian - my twopenn'uth worth. Liz and I are more than happy with limited facilities. For 3 days or so I can manage to strip wash either in the van or limited washroom facilities - of course whether people want to be in my company after the 3 days is another matter!

For us mains hook-up isn't a requirement - we'll use it if we have it but probably only to run the fridge - we are definitely CAMPervanners rather than motorHOMErs so don't bring luxuries like TVs etc (although we did take the netbook to allow blogging on our European trip)

Location - we prefer quieter sites without play areas, pools etc and definitely not the main tourist sites. It's handy to have a town in walking distance, either for the odd purchase or a visit to see what local ales are on tap, plus we definitely enjoyed the group meal and skittles at Moreton but remote is fine too.

We actually though Morton in Marsh was a good venue - a nice easy walk into town with enough shops and architecture to make it interesting to walk round. Similar with Stourport for the Roma club AGM.

But then again we're rally newbies so what do we know

Comment

Hi Ian,
        As a rally virgin, I loved it! I appreciated some access to limited facilities at Moreton, but could have done without, but this was flagged up sufficiently beforehand...... An ideal would be to have loo's and showers available and hookup! (it would also be 'ideal' to be 28 and weigh under 14 stones )
        For me an important issue is VFM in its widest sense, so a venue with up to 3/4 nights, ideally midweek to midweek would be good, might meet more peoples needs.
        I like the C&CC THS/weekender arrangements..... a similar aim suits me best... big field, relaxed, economic and importantly nice people!
        Thats my tuppence worth...... I hope the shingles abates soon Ian, and thanks for taking on another meet too, its much appreciated!
        All the best
        Andyvan

Comment

Hi Ian,
          Perhaps we ought to paraphrase an old saying? "You can please some of the people some of the time................
          Don't take it to heart. The folk who are dissatisfied are usually the folk who put little into things themselves.

For my part, I am self sufficient and quite happy with any site which is not too noisy or scruffy AND I am not being held to ransom price wise.

If anyone does not like a particular site they need not go again.

Moreton in the Marsh well exceeded my requirements. Well done Ian.

Jim
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

THANKYOU for the comments so far,I am trying to gauge the mood of the group as it were,and get an idea of what suits MOST people,personally I will go to any site anywhere but thats not good for a lot of folks I know,so,more comments please,it helps me choose a nice venue,I hope.

Comment

To quote a popular catch phrase - location, location, location! It is good to have a site where we can park up and not have to move the van until its time to go home. On the outskirts of an interesting town/village/canal/beach/country walk etc.

Cost is a factor, up to £10 a night is excellent, but prepared to pay a little more if necessary. Not really bothered about EHU or posh loos, as long as we know in advance what to expect.

We could well be interested in a slightly longer meet depending on dates.

Moreton was fine for us, enjoyed walking into the village and to the pub. Good country walking too. The site is on several bus routes and if we were there for longer without the dog that might be a fun option (viva la bus pass!!) Bathroom facilities were OK, clean and perfectly adequate. Company was excellent, and at the time there were very few complaints, everyone seemed relaxed and happy.

We would be very happy to return to Moreton next year, or to pastures new. We are members of the CC and the C&CC so their sites would be fine. Thanks Ian, for the effort you put into organizing these meets.
              Last edited by Vanderella; 29-07-2011, 19:51.
              Mary

Comment

EHU - preferable but not critical - will determine whether I stay for 2/3 days or longer.

Toilets - not bothered...er...let me rephrase that...I can use my Porta-potti if there are none available.

Showers - I like my morning shower so thumbs up for this, but I can always use my portable shower in my utility tent if none are available (stick me in the far corner). Again, will probably determine how long I stay (I know...fussy b*gg%r! )

Hard-standing - shouldn't matter, though I still have flashbacks to one case of getting stuck and a couple of close calls (like Polstead Monday morning )

Location - quiet is preferable (I'm a light sleeper). Actually...I have bought myself some earplugs, so I really should get around to testing them out. Places to walk and visit by foot a bonus, but I also don't mind using the 'van to explore further afield. Or sitting around doing nothing provided people don't make me feel guilty

Not a member of the CC, just the C&CC. When you say Winchcombe do you mean the C&CC site? Been there a couple of times and liked it, though it was busy last time (royal wedding weekend) and there were queues for the showers.

Midweek start/end sounds good because in theory even if you can't make it for the whole week you might still be able to pop in for 2/3/4 days.

Think I'd better stop now...oh, Moreton sounded good, just wasn't able to make it. Again.
                Neil

Comment

I'm not too fussy .. do prefer ehu if going further afield as i can stay a bit longer then .. make the journey worthwhile so to speak .. (but after forgetting my leisure battery at Moreton last time ..it proves I can do without)

and I like to park up and stay parked up .. so somewhere i can walk to collect milk for my coffee ..

and of course somewhere to walk milo .. :-) ..

toilets and showers . optional .. I have a sink and porta loo ..

oh and cheaper the better ..

hope that helps
                  I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                  http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

I like space and no road noise. The first thing I check on seeing a campsite is the proximity of any A roads..... and generally the proximity of an A road is an automatic rejection. On the edge of a town fine, in the countryside fine but has to have space. Beiang on a high facility site is actually something that does not attract me as generally they pack you in very tight and the whole part of camping is to be in a field.

Views are great as well.

Also like variety, so will cope with something different as well.

Ian a thought have you looked at the campsite near Hailes Abbey in Gloucestershire? It is situated between Hailes Abbey and is run by the next door fruit farm. The fruit farm has a fantastic shop including wonderful apples, has a restaurant/cafe and is set in stunningly beautiful countryside. There is a facility block there as well not sure what else.

Just a thought.

Comment

We prefer quiet sites, not bothered about having toilet facilities. Would rather pitch on grass than hardstanding. Like sites that have plenty of walks adjacent.
                      We stopped at the CC site at St Davids recently had a wonderful time walking the coastal path.

Comment

favourite sites

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                        I have been told recently that some of our family didnt like Moreton in Marsh because it had limited toilet and shower provisions.
                        M in M is a rally field,it just happens to back onto a 5 site CS,which lets the rally use its facilities,the field cost £7.50/unit/night.
                        Sites that can take rallys are few,usually with minimal facilities,a field,freshwater,and a manhole for toilet waste,prices from £4 to £8/unit/night depending on location.
                        Sites that have male/female toilet/showers,EHU,hardstandings,chem waste disposal,dont usually cater for rallys,but if they are big enough we may get in at £10-£15/unit/night.

Farm sites tend to be remote with limited facilities,sites near towns,beaches,sites of interest,are usually booked well in advance and dont want big groups.

So,
                        for next year,what do you want folks?
                        Ian

Further thoughts!
                        Some of our family have said they would like a longer meet than the 2 nights we have been doing,as long journeys make 2 nights not enough,it has been suggested that midweek to midweek is better,but weekends can be difficult to book unless well in advance.

I am prepared to run another meet at Moreton in Marsh, Whinchcome is also a possiblity but will cost twice the price,would anyone be interested in another visit to the Cotswolds,and what about Caravan Club sites?we all have caravans!

I need feedback on all of this,so come on folks lets hear it!
                        We prefer to have EHU for a longer stay especially if we have taken some time to drive to a site. We think now would like showers and a loo, though not posh basic is fine .We love to be near a bus stop but not to important now we have a Roma Home to potter about in. Otherwise not fussed as long its camping, we could be anywhere. twin1.

Comment

My preference is always for as few facilities as possible because I seldom use any of them on a short trip. I dislike campsites in general and find many noisy and some highly-regimented. I prefer farm CLs - a remote and quiet farmer's field and am more than happy to help out on the farm (which I often do on CLs).

However, and completely out of character for me, in the absence of a leisure battery or gas, I do like the luxury of a hook-up for my mini oven so that I don't have to live solely on crisp butties while away!! However, this is not essential and price is my main criterion when not wilding.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
                            I like space and no road noise. The first thing I check on seeing a campsite is the proximity of any A roads..... and generally the proximity of an A road is an automatic rejection. On the edge of a town fine, in the countryside fine but has to have space. Beiang on a high facility site is actually something that does not attract me as generally they pack you in very tight and the whole part of camping is to be in a field.

Views are great as well.

Also like variety, so will cope with something different as well.

Ian a thought have you looked at the campsite near Hailes Abbey in Gloucestershire? It is situated between Hailes Abbey and is run by the next door fruit farm. The fruit farm has a fantastic shop including wonderful apples, has a restaurant/cafe and is set in stunningly beautiful countryside. There is a facility block there as well not sure what else.

Just a thought.
                            Hi Jenny,
                            Yes Hailes is a lovely site but he only accepts 11 vans,and as you can see our meets are tending to be a bit bigger,I am thinking about Winchcombe nr Sudely Castle,its a C&CC main site,but I will keep looking and Hailes in Spring is awfully tempting.
                            Ian

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                              My preference is always for as few facilities as possible because I seldom use any of them on a short trip. I dislike campsites in general and find many noisy and some highly-regimented. I prefer farm CLs - a remote and quiet farmer's field and am more than happy to help out on the farm (which I often do on CLs).

However, and completely out of character for me, in the absence of a leisure battery or gas, I do like the luxury of a hook-up for my mini oven so that I don't have to live solely on crisp butties while away!! However, this is not essential and price is my main criterion when not wilding.
                              I am going to look at a farm site nr Banbury,so all you want is an EHU and a pitchfork?
                              Will ask!
                              Ian

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X