As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handi awning problem

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handi awning problem

Good Morning All,
    Can someone confirm whether or not the Handi Camper awaning has a ground sheet skirt fitted?
    As this one I have does not,

When my awning is erected I have a 2" gap all around the base to the ground,
    The fibreglass poles seem to be too long, not allowing the base to fully touch the ground!!!!

Also,The supplied ground sheet does not fit upto and over the base of the tent to make an afective seal , there is a gap of 3" all around the edge
    And a gale blows through there!
    Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by chocoholic; 04-08-2011, 09:44.
    If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Hiya!

Is it one of these?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTHOUSE-H...&_qi=RTM637056

The photo shows it going all the way to the ground, so something is wrong somewhere! Contact the makers and ask about the 2" gap, it shouldn't be there methinks. It could indeed be that they have supplied the wrong set of poles, not an impossibility.

Could it be that your van is too tall for the awning 'hoody'?

I have the oudoor Rev Movelite and the groundsheet is separate and not sewn in (but the inner bedroom tent has a sewn-in groundsheet). The outer one doesn't fit right up to or over the edges. In fact, if I'm on grass and not hardstanding I don't use it as I prefer a lawn carpet! (You don't have to keep brushing crumbs and stuff up off it.)

What I did notice on the above photo is that, unlike the Movelite, it doesnt appear to have any bottom flaps (unless they are tucked under and inside). Mine has flaps which also peg down and keep (most of) the wind out.

Comment

Here's a pic of my Movelite (lovely weather, first time I ever used it as a gazebo!) and you can clearly see the peg down flaps at the base, which go all the way around when all sides/doors are zipped up. These can be pegged to the inside or the outside. After once pegging to the inside and having the rain feed its way in, I now always peg them to the outside of the awning! LOL!

My loo tent (very old, made of canvas) was a different story however. The canvas had shrunk and so there was a four inch gap, very draughty, around the base. I sewed on some plastic edging from the original awning that came with the caravan, which was enormous and really heavy (couldn't even lift the poles on that, never mind put it up) and that fixed the problem. But you shouldn't have to sew an extension piece on a new awning, it should come right the way down to the ground, even if there are no flaps!

Just a thought - did you put the poles together in the right order as per instructions? Could they actually fit a different way than the one you used?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jayjay; 05-08-2011, 09:12. Reason: called mine an outhouse - it's a movelite!

Comment

Hello there!
        We have an Outhouse Handy, like the one in JayJay's first reply and, no, it doesn't have a skirt ... it is, indeed, very basic. Sometimes it reaches the ground, other times, not, it depends on how level the ground is. Our groundsheet it just a square that covers the ground. It doesn't reach up the sides ... not what you would call cosy!!

Comment

There is no sod cloth on our Outhouse Handi and it has a gap. The groundsheet that is supplied is smaller than the floor area. I guess that is to stop it gathering water when it rains.
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

I was about to say that the Handi isn't really an awning, it's a utility tent, but I see that Outdoor Revolution use the term awning in a couple of places on their Handi web page even though it's in their utility tent section.

The ground sheet is meant to be separate - it was one of the first things I checked with them when I got mine last year. And there's usually a gap around the bottom, as you can just about see here.
            Neil

Comment

Sooo if you want a skirt around the edge, you will need to buy some waterproof nylon material and sew it on yourself! Then either add eyelets to peg down or use clingons/clever pegs to secure. I think that's what I would do, especially if I wanted to use it to sleep in! As a simple shelter or basic outhouse for cooking in out of the wind, etc, I guess it serves its purpose as it is.

Just a thought - wouldn't clingons pegged to the ground reduce that gap and keep out the draught - or would it stretch the material too much?

http://www.clingons.co.uk/
              Last edited by jayjay; 05-08-2011, 09:25.

Comment

I think the Handi is primarily a utility tent for storage and using as a toilet/shower tent. As a bonus you can use it for shelter but I don't think O.R. intended it for spending time in during all weather and definitely not for sleeping. They want you to buy the Movelites for that...which is why they cost over twice the price.

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                Just a thought - wouldn't clingons pegged to the ground reduce that gap and keep out the draught - or would it stretch the material too much?

http://www.clingons.co.uk/
                Not sure...I tend to put the groundsheet down and use that to position the 4 corners, then once the tent is up I shift the corners around and out as much as possible to get the tent looking right. By that time there doesn't seem to be much 'stretchability' in the fabric.

This thread might help answer a question I've had for a while - are those flaps around the Movelites, etc. also known as 'mud walls'?
                Neil

Comment

Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
                  This thread might help answer a question I've had for a while - are those flaps around the Movelites, etc. also known as 'mud walls'?
                  I think so, Neil!

A quick goodle search came up with this:

http://www.bctmesstent.co.uk/ which clearly shows the flaps around the edges and the description includes mudwalls! You learn something new every day!

Comment

By the grace of a loverly friend

Been offline for a few days, hence no postings

Thanks girls and guys for the handy tips and confirmations,
                    Not worth contacting the makers re problem, cost of postage frightens me and for the cost of materials involved in resolving the issue, WE can do it,
                    With the help of a very kind lady friend xxxx
                    We will overcome!xxxxxxxx

First thoughts were that the poles were too long, or that I had not put it up correctly, then found a car cover made of light nylon hanging around doing nowt, Ha, a bit of cinderella work and we are in business,

And BONUS it's a blue colour, making me feel as though I'm sailing on the ocean blue, tidy like!!!
                    Now sorting out them cling ons is another matter, And i'm not discussing them here
                    First overnight in "the flying brick" No problemo, feels great in the middle of nowhere, watching the stars and the silvery moon overhead spreading a magical glow on the fresh dew, now," where's me pillow gone again" in the rear footwell, moment lost forever,
                    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
                    If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

ok, Pete. Let's put plan A into operation. I'll get the sewing machine out!!

Comment

Owwwwwww!

The Time!
                        The place I know XXX
                        Sunday lunch time is out, A viewing Hurrah:so happy:
                        Whats plan "B"
                        Text me
                        xxx
                        There is something about your machine that attracts Me

Comment

Mudflap/skirts

Morning campers
                          I have found some waterproof nylon material in various colours available Here,.
                          http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/pro...ugbjul14n9f7r0
                          2 metres should be enough to make the required skirts for the Handi outdoor awning/utility tent,
                          With a little bit of sewing, fitting eylets for pegging down, Sorted

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                            I think so, Neil!

A quick goodle search came up with this:

http://www.bctmesstent.co.uk/ which clearly shows the flaps around the edges and the description includes mudwalls! You learn something new every day!
                            Thanks...your Google search was more productive than mine.

The Outdoor Revolution web site originally said that the Handi had a mudwall, and when I queried them about this they admitted the description was wrong. I guessed it was something to do with sealing the bottom of the tent.
                            Neil

Comment

A very Special thanks, to a special friend, mari2chris

mari2chris
                              A very Special thanks, to a very special friend
                              2 hours to cut and sew a skirt to my handi awning,
                              With grace and narry a swear word,
                              Magic
                              What a mover xxx

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X