• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Costs - just in case you hadn't noticed

Fuel Costs.gif
    Tony

Nice one tony, but 'twas ever thus!

Comment

I remember when petrol was petrol and not steel / rubber solvent varnish as it is now. I remember when it went up to 3/11 a gallon, and thought to myself 'well I suppose Rolls Royce owners can afford it.' That would have been 5 star petrol, the same as Spitfires used in WW2. I wonder what they run them on now?

I filled or rather didn't fill my newtome Autosleeper the other day. It was on 1/4 tank and I stopped filling when the numbers, at a cheap £1.29 / litre station got to £90. This was fairly swiftly followed by a ding dong text from my bank informing me that my account was getting very low and I should consider crediting the account with some money.
      If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
        I remember when petrol was petrol and not steel / rubber solvent varnish as it is now. I remember when it went up to 3/11 a gallon, and thought to myself 'well I suppose Rolls Royce owners can afford it.' That would have been 5 star petrol, the same as Spitfires used in WW2. I wonder what they run them on now?

I filled or rather didn't fill my newtome Autosleeper the other day. It was on 1/4 tank and I stopped filling when the numbers, at a cheap £1.29 / litre station got to £90. This was fairly swiftly followed by a ding dong text from my bank informing me that my account was getting very low and I should consider crediting the account with some money.
        Wow, £90, that's a lot of Green Shield Stamps and maybe a few drinking glasses too.

Did that £90 include a squirt, or two, of Redex?

If that was an Esso station you should now be sporting a long tiger's tail hanging from your filler cap.

..... the days of dripping toast for breakfast and Vesta Prawn Curry for supper

Tony

Comment

I used to fill my Honda 90 with 50 pence worth of fuel - but this was back in the early 1970s!
          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

It would have been ten bob, NomadSue.
            If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

I recall the first time I fuelled Dad's car after passing my test in 1971.

33p a gallon, or 3 gallons and a splash for £1 ... or was that when I got my first car the following year?

A year or so later I would occasionally run my girlfriend's sister back to her nurse's accommodation in Buxton. Between Whaley Bridge and Chapel-en-le-Frith there was a filling station, closed on Sunday evening but with a self-serve pump that took a 50p coin!
              Geoff

Comment

my overwhelming memory of fuel cost when I first started driving/owning a car...was FOUR gallons for a quid.!..that would be mid 60's I guess...and diesel was for lorries and buses..

Comment

Artoo0 just checked an inflation site and £1 in 1971 would be equal to £13.77 today, so 33p in 1971 would have today's buying power of £4.59.

That's almost exactly £1 per litre based on inflation measured 1971 prices.

So over the last nearly 50 years petrol has increased by about 30% in real terms.

Comment

My late grandfathers mother used to run a fish and chip shop,
                    he recalled it being 4 pence for fish and tuppence for chips.

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
                      My late grandfathers mother used to run a fish and chip shop,
                      he recalled it being 4 pence for fish and tuppence for chips.
                      ...... and my Great Great Grandfather used to pay rent of 4 Groats (per year that is)
                      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                        Artoo0 just checked an inflation site and £1 in 1971 would be equal to £13.77 today, so 33p in 1971 would have today's buying power of £4.59.

So over the last nearly 50 years petrol has increased by about 30% in real terms.
                        Be interesting to know how much of that 33% is down to increases in the tax levied on fuel rather than increases in the price of the fuel itself. I bought my first car in 1962 but as it was only used at weekends I really cannot be sure of the price of the fuel I bought, 4 shillings and 9pence springs to mind but that may be entirely wrong. Funny because I can remember that a large sliced loaf of bread was 8 and a half pence, but then I suppose I bought more bread than fuel.
                        Janet

Comment

Just realized I obviously haven't got my brain in gear this morning I meant, of course, 30% not 33%.
                          Janet

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt View Post

...... and my Great Great Grandfather used to pay rent of 4 Groats (per year that is)
                            I remember him trying to calculate how many fish and chips suppers he could buy on his first salary. I think he concluded that it any cheaper then than now.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post

Sounds likely!

I haven't checked this anywhere but suspect there have been times in the intervening years when fuel has been more expensive, in real terms, than it is now. I'm thinking of the quadrupling of crude-oil prices in the mid/late 70s and around the 2008 financial crisis.

I particularly recall commenting on a spike in diesel prices not long after we bought the first van!
                              Geoff

Comment