As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ullswater and Dalkeith

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ullswater and Dalkeith

Last Saturday, patriscott and me set off on our travels, the first stop being Ullswater in Cumbria. What a lovely temporary site run by the Sailing section of the Camping and Caravanning club, with uninterrupted views of Ullswater. The site was a bit sloping, but manageable, and everyone was really friendly. A bit of a hike to the toilet and shower, but nice facilities nonetheless. £13 per night ... Bargain!
    On Monday, we moved on to Dalkeith just outside Edinburgh. Oh dear! It was a field in the country park, again a temporary holiday site through the C&CC, but the previous week, it had been under water because there had been so much rain! It was really tricky just getting on the site in the first place because of the ruts caused by other vehicles. The weather continued to be wet more often than it was dry, but fortunately we were there to meet up with my sons and my grandson who were staying in a hotel in Dalkeith and had hired a car so were able to pick us up and ferry us about. Edinburgh was gorgeous (and the weather was good for most of the day) and so was Queensferry where we took a boat trip under the Forth Rail bridge. The holiday site finished on Thursday, but we stayed on for one more night all on our own! Our first taste of wild camping!
    Now we are in Beale with Pam Park and hope to be staying until Wednesday, weather permitting, back to work for a couple of days Thursday and Friday and then it's Chesterfield!
    It's all go when you've got a Romahome!

Well, the wind got the better of us and we have moved site ... Sorry Pam! We are only a short distance away but not only do we not have wind (pardon me!) but we do have toilet, shower and washing up facilities. We are at The Barn at Beal, which is a restaurant, bar etc. and they allow camping for tents and campervans at £10 per night. The tents are only a couple of strips of grass and the campervans are round the edge of a coach park with a bit of grass to put the awning up. Really good!
    We've been over to Lindisfarne today watching marauding Vikings fighting Northumbrians, great fun!

Comment

I don't blame you for moving out of the wind - when it blows along that coast line it really does blow! We spent 10 days there a few years ago and I can remember 31/2 of us,[the half being an 8 year old] plus 1 dog sitting in the gazebo sheltering from the rain and hanging on to the sides for dear life in case it took flight. Certainly that experience put me off holidaying in the North East ever again, although the last day was bright and we were able to go across to Lindisfarne and get dive bombed by the birds! Oh, what fun!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday, Dolly.

Pam, I hope you're still in one piece in Beal and haven't been buffeted too much by the wind.

Di.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
      Working...
      X