As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food storage

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food storage

For the first time in weeks the sun has been out.

I've just remembered that I left some food in my van from last weekends trip away and some of it may now be partly cooked.

Camping newbie question - what foodstuffs are safe to leave in my van for extended periods? I figure that things like lemonade/tea/coffee/sugar/biscuits/frosties etc. should be fine - but what about the tomato sauce, tins of beans etc?
    Schrödinger's cat:
    Wanted Dead and Alive.

Originally posted by adyb View Post

I've just remembered that I left some food in my van from last weekends trip away and some of it may now be partly cooked.

Camping newbie question - what foodstuffs are safe to leave in my van for extended periods? I figure that things like lemonade/tea/coffee/sugar/biscuits/frosties etc. should be fine - but what about the tomato sauce, tins of beans etc?
    unopened tins and bottles have a long temperature resistant life,its damp they dont like.get some airtight plastic containers that fit your storage space,they will help to store packets of dry goods,packets of part cooked rice keep well,dry pasta is easy,long life milk is good,buy tinned meats and fish that can make a meal fast,tinned veg and potatoes are nice too,do yourself a favor,bin the frying pan and then get some basic cooking gear,you will eat healthier that way.A fridge or coolbag extends your choice but look around the tins and packets.bread doesnt keep well. happy hunting.
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 01-09-2011, 19:47.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by adyb View Post

look at the main small motorhome website,its in the quicklinks at the top of this page,there is a recipe page on the left hand side in the index of the main site - it will be helpfull.

Comment

Ah, but you use proper coffee Ian.
        Slummers like me use granules. If "quick" coffee is left in the van an axe in the cutlery drawer is a good idea. Sugar is hygroscopic, which would not be so bad if the lumps were all the same size.

Jim.

Sorry it was Adyb who mentioned those.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          Ah, but you use proper coffee Ian.
          Slummers like me use granules. If "quick" coffee is left in the van an axe in the cutlery drawer is a good idea. Sugar is hygroscopic, which would not be so bad if the lumps were all the same size.

Jim.

Sorry it was Adyb who mentioned those.
          its as easy to keep an airtight container of ground coffee as it is with instant,and a small cafetiere takes no more room than a mug.
          Sugar stays dry if kept airtight. I found some plastic jars with airtight lids in tescos holding fridge fruit,they fitted my cupboards perfectly and the fruit was nice,now they hold all sorts of things.

Comment

One of my favourites to keep on board is part baked bread, unopened it keeps for months, that way I always have bread on hand, but then you need a remoska or oven to cook it, but fresh bread rolls are always on hand, for hot dogs (tined dogs) or with soup etc.:so happy:
            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
            'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X