This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready meals

I have found a source of ready meals that are not frozen, they are in sealed bags and can be microwaved or cooked in boiling water.
    They sell a selection in a box that they call a camping collection. I think that they would be very tasty if cooked with pasta or potatoes.
    Anyway the site is at www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk
    I am going to try them out on my next trip, as the meals can be kept for up to a year without freezing.

They look really good, I'll certainly be trying them next trip, hopefully at the end of September if the consultant gives me the ok.

Di.

Comment

Ready Meals

:so happy: They look really good, yes I'll certainly be trying them as well, especially as they have a shelf life of a year, great idea. thanks for sharing it with us Eugene.
      Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
      'Live without regrets'

Comment

Ooh, they look yummy! Thanks for the suggestion. :so happy:
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

familiar packages...

The packages there rang a bell, and I was sure I'd tried a couple of them before. Shaking the sawdust out of my brain I decided I'd got them from either Sainsbury's or Morrison's, with the odds being on Sainsbury's.
          I couldn't find them on Sainsbury's on-line shopping pages, so I did a search for stockists and found http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/brand...ainsburys.html.
          They probably don't keep the full range, but if you have a Sainsbury's nearby, it's an easy way to try them. They seem slightly cheaper too.

I don't remember noticing how long the storage time was. That's impressive!

Jim

Comment

Ready meals

These look great, I have added the web site to favourites for next year.
            Jennie

Comment

They look very useful. It is always handy to have some emergency supplies for when there are no shops or restaurants within easy reach.

I must admit that generally speaking I love cooking proper food in my van. My travelling kitchen equipment is better quality than I use at home! It is a real pleasure to plan, cook & serve up delicious meals with limited resources, and for some reason they taste better too!! :washingup:

(Always wanted to use that Emoticon but never had good reason. I must however give credit where due, and point out that John is really excellent at washing up!!)
              Last edited by Vanderella; 27-11-2011, 15:20.
              Mary

Comment

I have found a website that sells a useful accessory to the packets of ready meals. The site sells packs that you open and place the ready meal inside, then you just add water and the pack heats up and heats the ready meal.
                You can use any water as the water does not come into contact with the food, but if you use clean water it can be used to make a cup of tea!
                The web site is at www.thejollygourmond.co.uk They are 5 for £6.50.
                I must say that I have not tested these packs so I cannot say if they are good,
                But they might come in useful for some of the minimillist campers among you.

Comment

ready meals

Originally posted by eugene View Post
                  I have found a source of ready meals that are not frozen, they are in sealed bags and can be microwaved or cooked in boiling water.
                  They sell a selection in a box that they call a camping collection. I think that they would be very tasty if cooked with pasta or potatoes.
                  Anyway the site is at www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk
                  I am going to try them out on my next trip, as the meals can be kept for up to a year without freezing.
                  I wrote about the spaghetti one on this site a while ago. Should be a thread on it. Don't know about the others but did not like this one, I personally found it to have no taste of oregano , the basil had taken over. I would not use it again. Would advise trying one before you order the mixed box.

Comment

Twin1,
                    I cannot find the spaghetti ready meal on the www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk site are you sure that you have the right site.
                    Eugene.

Comment

ready meals

Originally posted by eugene View Post
                      Twin1,
                      I cannot find the spaghetti ready meal on the www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk site are you sure that you have the right site.
                      Eugene.
                      oh yes try under emergency meals.Just checked it,its there.worth a read.Oh yes and its on this forum.That's the only one I tried the others do look full of flavour.
                      will give them a second look.
                      Last edited by T1; 28-11-2011, 12:19. Reason: change

Comment

New range, some stocked in ASDA

I was just in my local ASDA and found some LWWF pouch meals in a promotion bin. According to the LWWF website they're a new range. They had 'North Yorkshire Beef' Chilli Con Carne, 'Staffordshire Chicken' Tikka, 'Staffordshire Chicken' Casserole, 'Tees Valley Beef' Casserole, and 'Tees Valley Beef' Bolognese. All 270g pouches at a pound each. Much less than the company's on-line shop. One of the pouches has a best-before date of Oct 2012, but all the others are into 2013.

EDIT: Looking at the cooking instructions, they seem microwave only, but I can't see why boiling wouldn't still work.

EDIT AGAIN: They also say you can empty into a pan and heat on a hob. That means washing-up so I'll still go with boil-in-a-bag thanks!
                        Last edited by JimD; 11-04-2012, 13:15.

Comment

Quick camping food

I discovered these meals about a year ago, really good. Being a bit lazy in the kitchen department I found that all you need to do is heat up on the hob, chuck in a can of jersey royals or some of those instant noodles and you got a hot satisfying meal. Being a guy on my own, don't bother plates just eat straight out of the saucepan ! Lol. Now I have a much larger van the mrs accompanies me on trips and I always have a good stock of these meals However I am now have to comply with proper etiquette ie plates etc etc and unecesary washing up argh

Comment

Waitrose sell them too! and they are OK,I do exactly as you do,some spuds and veg or pasta and sweetcorn,it makes a good meal.
                            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

My local little Sainsburys have been selling their instant ready meals at 3 for a Fiver! Delicious. Bringing some with me to the Rally... Had the minced beef hotpot for tea last night, lovely. Also had the liver, bacon and mash (real potatoes, not smash stuff) and that was nice and tasty as well. Served up with either a good fresh chunk of french bread, or some mixed veg. Although these are fresh and have a sellby date, you can freeze them to use later. Great for when you're tired and can't be bothered to cook.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X