As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Usernames

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usernames

Do you think it would be possible if your username is not clearly male or female to sign your name at the end of a post. For example it was ages before I realised Jayjay was a lady.
    Regards, Robinjim.

Originally posted by Robin View Post
    Do you think it would be possible if your username is not clearly male or female to sign your name at the end of a post. For example it was ages before I realised Jayjay was a lady.
    JayJay's a lady?

Joking aside, I think some people like to have a username so that they can keep their personal details private, so maybe they would not want to give their real name, but a good idea if they don't mind.

Comment

Well I know what you mean Pauline I am not really Robin Hood LOL I am really Jim
      Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Hi Robin

As Pauline says some people like to keep their personal details private (hence having a username) but I have a question for you, I am assuming you are a male but Robin could be a female name too.

Graham (definitely male)
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I normally sign my (short) name because it does not really give anything away. Anyway, Twolitre might be assumed to be my beer capacity, though I think people who saw me reeling after two glasses of Graham's wine would probably dispute that
          Christian names are surely untraceable, And it is more friendly not to have to ask at meets "What's your name then?"
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

names

wy i use a user name is if u put your name and u look ware i live u can be traced u pull ing sae do u no ware ???? lives he or she as a romahome they sae one lives down thar at no ?? it like saeing on hear u are going a way sae the date they no your house no one home u have to be karfull now adayes . p/s soorey about spelling

Comment

Good point Diggdeep.
              Aileen (now thinking of suitably cryptic alias!)

Comment

Very good point diggdeep. It's nice to have friendly interested neighbours in that situation. I'm very lucky in that respect.

Comment

Well even though I am really Jim I will stick to Robin Hood as a username.
                  Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

You can call me Mr Goneforagasper because I wish to remain anonymous

Signed

Peter

Comment

Well even though I am really Jim I will stick to Robin Hood as a username.
                      I must admit diggdeep has a point, but where do we stop?
                      When I ran a taxi business we had a particular family as regular customers who always waited on a particular corner for their taxi when they went away.
                      We never knew where they lived and one day I asked why they struggled with their luggage rather than be picked up at home.
                      It seemed that friends had been burgled while away and their taxi driver was eventually convicted of the crime! And others!

However, with a common christian name I think I would take a lot of tracking down in a town of around 80,000 inhabitants. In any case, if anyone went to that trouble they would find it not worth while.

So I'm Jim!
                      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by diggdeep View Post
                        wy i use a user name is if u put your name and u look ware i live u can be traced u pull ing sae do u no ware ???? lives he or she as a romahome they sae one lives down thar at no ?? it like saeing on hear u are going a way sae the date they no your house no one home u have to be karfull now adayes . p/s soorey about spelling
                        That is why I wouldn't post here or on facebook re any plans to go away - though maybe something when i returned. As you say, we do have to be very careful.
                        Last edited by NomadSue; 25-09-2011, 22:59.
                        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                          That is why I wouldn't post here or on facebook re any plans to go away - though maybe something when i returned. As you say, we do have to be very careful.
                          That is a very good point it is easy to think that what we post on here is just between friends but we must remember that the whole world can read this forum and it would be relatively easy for someone to piece together personal information about someone from different posts.

Don't let it stop you enjoying the forum just be careful what you reveal.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Entirely intentional I'm afraid! Although not so much on here but on other sites I visit.

I echo what Graham says above, and also DiggDeep. You can't be too careful nowadays with personal details.

Comment

Hi All ...............The bigger problem is the sudden disappearance of your Motor Caravan or Caravan from your home or the place you park it

the local tealeaf's then know you are away and you areat more risk of trouble then.
                              The chances of tracing from a forum are slim unless you use your surname or postcode then either an on line directory search or Google postcode / street view search reveals your address.

It is far easier for the toe rags to look for leisure vehicles missing from home in any given area.

Alf

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X