As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnights at motorway service staions.

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnights at motorway service staions.

I am going to Cornwall on Friday from Stockport, starting off at about 9 in the evening as I have a Presentation earlier. I know I will need to stop at some point to sleep and was planning on doing so at a service station on the M5 - possibly just in to Somerset if I can make it that far. Has anyone ever parked up and slept at such places?

My Big Sites Book tell me it is allowed but one has to contact the manager on arrival and there is a charge. Any idea how much?

Any information will be more than gratefully received.

Di.

Originally posted by di allen View Post
    I am going to Cornwall on Friday from Stockport, starting off at about 9 in the evening as I have a Presentation earlier. I know I will need to stop at some point to sleep and was planning on doing so at a service station on the M5 - possibly just in to Somerset if I can make it that far. Has anyone ever parked up and slept at such places?

My Big Sites Book tell me it is allowed but one has to contact the manager on arrival and there is a charge. Any idea how much?

Any information will be more than gratefully received.

Di.
    Are you in the caravan club Di? they allow one night stops and its safer!
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I agree - caravan club first choice, or possibly Brit Stops, if there is a suitable one along your route - choose carefully as I think some of them look safer for solo travellers than others. Safety if the most important aspect to consider.
      Safe travels.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I would definately find a site rather then a motorway service station.. quieter and safer .. (probably cheaper too)
        I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
        http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

That sounds like the Service Area I pulled into on my way to the "South West Squelch". The last, or next to last, services before the Tiverton slip road.
          I believe I parked on the caravan overnight patch for a break. Right opposite the fuel station, with heavy traffic leaving by the exit road in between.
          Just a rectangle of rather churned up hardcore with no privacy or charm.
          If I am right I would not even use it for "wild camping" if there was no charge. Not that I am into (or really agree with) wild camping unless in a very remote area with no alternative.
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I would agree that you need to be careful on motorway service stations, I wouldn't risk it personally.

When we arrived at Plymouth late one night on the ferry from France we stayed on the Caravan Club site at Exeter Racecourse. They have a large late arrivals area which we used so we didn't have to disturb the wardens and next morning we just paid for one night and were on our way again.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravan...spx?csid=21876
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I stayed on a service station on the way to Scotland I think it was £8.00 a bit noisy but felt quite safe, but then I did have my Miniature Schnauzer with me whose bark would scare anyone off.

Comment

We've done it on 2 or 3 occasions on our way up the M6 at the start of a journey from North Wales to the Highlands. We checked on the camping club book as to which let you, and then just followed the instructions. Most recently, it has just meant paying for overnight camping (via telephone). It cost £8 per night for the van. I know you can find cheaper, I know you can get more facilitie elsewhere, and I so agree that this is not the most restful stop over. However, it is just that. It's a stop over that you can plan (you can suss out which services will let you stop) and if you're on a big journey somewhere, you don't have to deviate off your route.
                We like it because we often set off after work the night before the start of our holiday, with a plan to drive as far as we can before we're too tired. Our holiday doesn't really start till the next day, so this way, we just sneak up on it!
                Aileen.

Comment

I have to admit to being really surprised at the negative comments about stopping at motorway service stations. I do it quite frequently - the latest time was last Saturday evening at Scotch Corner on the A1, driving down from the Stranraer ferry to Lincolnshire.

We (two ladies of mature years) pulled into a quiet corner and settled down to sleep in our car. If you stay more than two hours you have to pay, usually around £8 for up to 24 hours. You have the advantage of on-site loos, often showers, and food and drink at any time of the day or night. Payment can be done from the car via https://paybyphone.co.uk/

I suppose if you have a large motorhome you might have to park near the lorries, but a small one can use the normal car parking area and there's usually somewhere quiet to be found.

Incidentally the night before we had spent on the Dundonald Touring Caravan Park in Belfast - a beautifully kept, immaculately clean site, which is surrounded by a high wire fence, padlocked at all times. The noise from the surrounding area (fireworks, children screaming and shouting, f-ing and blinding) was decidedly intrusive, and we discovered next morning that the nearby leisure complex had been evacuated late evening due to fireworks causing damage to the toilets. The quiet motorway service area felt considerably safer!

Sheila

Comment

The caravan club will let you stay for one night no problem... I have also had positive experiances of the c&cc putting me up when I have arrived late at night in August at about 9pm. It was late, raining hard and they found me a home for the one night no problem, a Romahome slots in somewhere.

Two things

The A38 runs alongside the M5 from Stroud down to Bristol and there is a campsite just off the A38 at Hogsmead or indeed there is the Tudor campsite at slimbridge (bit further to get too). Exit (think junction 13) then in the morning drive down the A38 and pick up the next junction on the M5. Negligible time lost.

There is a caravan club site at Wellington (Somerset) literally just off the motorway and Wellington is a lovely little town. There is also an adults only camping site which is also close to the motorway there

There are also campsites just off the motorway on the Burnham on Sea turn off (Not such a pleasant place to stop).

I think you would be perfectly safe at a motorway service station have kipped in a car before but it is potentially noisy. The sites I am suggesting would not cost you more than 5 minutes max on your journey
                    Last edited by Tentpeg; 27-09-2011, 23:47.

Comment

Following on from Tentpeg's post......

There is a site on the A38, just a few minutes off the motorway:-
                      Riverside Caravan Park
                      George Inn
                      Cambridge
                      GL2 7AL

Would be fine for an overnight stop. You book and pay at the pub (George Inn) and the campsite is just behind the pub. They give you a code which you need for the electronic gate and to get into the toilets.
                      Last edited by Vanderella; 28-09-2011, 00:07.
                      Mary

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. Problem is I shall be looking to stop at about 1.30'sh a.m which rules out any of the camp sites just off the M5. I have looked at them but all operate a 10.30-11pm gates locked policy. I also don't want to be driving around country lanes at this time of night.

In terms of safety I shall have Bracken with me. He's big and has a deep warning bark which should put any intruders off- so long as they don't see him- he's just one big soppy labrador but if push comes to shove I'm fairly confident he'd protect me.

I will take all your advice on board and make sure all the doors are locked and bolted. Will let you know how it goes on my return from Cornwall.

Di.

Comment

Overnight stay at Tesco car parks

I read somewhere that you can stay overnight in a Tesco car park if you tell them in store. This is because the Director of Tesco has a motorhome.

I know you can find the stores online (google "Tesco") and then you could phone and get permission beforehand.

It might be useful for this occassion.

Patricia

Comment

We've broken our journey to Cornwall by staying as services before. If like us you don't have an on board loo, then its a bit of a hike to the facilities. Can be noisy when trucks come and go.
                            Check for 'fridge lorries as they can fire up the fridge compressor - and boy are they noisy!

Not as nice as a campsite, but then again, it can be difficult to find sites that will do a one-night stay in high season.
                            Not sure about the safety issues above, there are a few shady characters about looking for pickings from curtain sided trucks, but they should leave campervans alone if you are in them. Just be sure to lock all doors to stop opportunist bag-grabs.
                            Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Can see 1.30am is a problem, honestly I think you would be fine at the services saftey wise, just park somewhere sensible.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X