This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a season we've had

This is the first year we haven't been abroad for 40 odd years, instead we decided on walking the coastal footpaths in the UK.

After 56 nights away we can report on lots of wind some rain, even some days where it was actually hot, and approx 350 miles covered on coastal footpaths, in Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, Gower, Pembrookshire, Yorkshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lleyn Penninsular, Lytham/Blackpool togther with getting lost on Dartmoor plus short walks in the Cotswolds and Yorkshire Dales.

We decided to get a wallmap and mark in our walks, we thought that we had done quite a lot, but boy have we got a lot to do to even make an impression on the map.

Some of the best memories are just leaning over to switch on the kettle and have tea and biscuits in bed most mornings. Walking in horizontal rain along the beach between Cromer and Sheringham where, on reaching a cafe at Sheringham, they loaned us dry clothes, even though we only bought cake and coffees.Having Coast Guards shout to tell us to get to hell off the cliffs near Padstow as the winds were blowing at Gale Force 10. Sitting back and enjoying either a gin and tonic or glass of wine on the few balmy evenings we enjoyed at Aberdaron.

All in all one of the best summers we have had since returning to the UK, thanks to our very small motorhome and lots of friendly people.

OOPs Now realize we put this in the wrong spot, not sure how we got into "Fancy Meeting Up" sorry about that!!
    Last edited by Sanjuan; 07-10-2011, 19:08. Reason: Typing Mistakes

Originally posted by Sanjuan View Post
    This is the first year we haven't been abroad for 40 odd years, instead we decided on walking the coastal footpaths in the UK.

After 56 nights away we can report on lots of wind some rain, even some days where it was actually hot, and approx 350 miles covered on coastal footpaths, in Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, Gower, Pembrookshire, Yorkshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lleyn Penninsular, Lytham/Blackpool togther with getting lost on Dartmoor plus short walks in the Cotswolds and Yorkshire Dales.

We decided to get a wallmap and mark in our walks, we thought that we had done quite a lot, but boy have we got a lot to do to even make an impression on the map.

Some of the best memories are just leaning over to switch on the kettle and have tea and biscuits in bed most mornings. Walking in horizontal rain along the beach between Cromer and Sheringham where, on reaching a cafe at Sheringham, they loaned us dry clothes, even though we only bought cake and coffees.Having Coast Guards shout to tell us to get to hell off the cliffs near Padstow as the winds were blowing at Gale Force 10. Sitting back and enjoying either a gin and tonic or glass of wine on the few balmy evenings we enjoyed at Aberdaron.

All in all one of the best summers we have had since returning to the UK, thanks to our very small motorhome and lots of friendly people.

OOPs Now realize we put this in the wrong spot, not sure how we got into "Fancy Meeting Up" sorry about that!!
    I was told that the total round coast walk of all of Britain is some 7000 miles.You have a lot to do.Good luck
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Sounds like you have had a great time and encountered a variety of different weather, what great fun. :so happy:
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Sounds like bliss to me.

These small car-campervans offer so many opportunities - go anywhere, whenever you like, squeeze under height barriers or along narrow lanes. Total freedom to enjoy.

I wish you many more happy trips - and the season isn't over yet!

Comment

Sounds like you have had a fantastic year, lots of memories, and you must be feeling quite fit too!

We vowed to use our van more this year, maybe not walked as far as you, but we are pleased with what we have achieved. Lots of good memories to keep us going till next year.

Karen .....I think for us the season is very nearly over, we had a wonderful sunny weekend last week, but winter seems to be closing in fast now. We will watch the weatherman and standby in readiness just incase the sun breaks through one last time!
          Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
            Karen .....I think for us the season is very nearly over, we had a wonderful sunny weekend last week, but winter seems to be closing in fast now. We will watch the weatherman and standby in readiness just incase the sun breaks through one last time!
            Cowards!!

You need to invest in a good set of trendy thermals and a 12v leccy blanket. These can make all the difference!!

I know what you mean though. When it's dusk at 3.30pm the evenings and nights can feel very long in a tiny van... This is when wilding can lose its appeal to me and I start looking for CLs open during the winter and appreciate a mains hook-up...

Comment

I can tell some tales of winter camping! We have travelled all over in the course of our antiques business, often sleeping in the back of cold draughty vans, squeezed in between a box of antique cameras and a couple of Clarice Cliff teasets. I have cried with cold.....I have even peed into carrier bags (but I will not talk any further of that experience)........ I think we have earned the right to stay in our warm centrally heated, well insulated home, and watch the winter from afar!

But you are right, if winter camping is to be done, then good equipment is essential!
              Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                I can tell some tales of winter camping! I have cried with cold.....I have even peed into carrier bags (but I will not talk any further of that experience)
                That sounds a bit risky!!! Many wilders use bottles but I've never heard of carrier bags before!!!!

Comment

You have make sure they are the ones without safety holes punched in them. In the dark this can be done by scrunching up the opening and blowing into them like a balloon.

Maybe between us all we should draft out a book - 'Tips of Wild Camping' or the like. I am sure it would be a very good read!
                  Mary

Comment

It still sounds very risky - spillage, leakages...

A useful tip but, being naturally clumsy, I think I'll give this one a miss. You're right about a book of tips though. I could add a few myself!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X