This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather : ventilation / insulation tradeoff

we all agree that insulation is good for cold weather.
    how does one ensure an appropriate level of ventilation ? not too much and not too little, especially in cold weather ? thanks.

The romahomes are not airtight,air comes in throught the airvents in the cab,unless you close them,warm air vents through the rooflights even when shut,the fridge has a vent,which can be partially closed using the winter plate supplied,to clip onto the external vent,and the door at the back is not airtight.Most folk who have one put the oil filled radiator in the footwell and it runs all night/or day when on site and hooked up to EHU,this warms the incoming air,which is replacing the air lost via the roof vent.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Great question - had been wondering the same myself. Thanks, Ian, for the reply.
      I was wondering re how one could ensure adequate fresh air for two people in such a small space, especially if one runs a small heater overnight as some people seem to suggest. At least I now know we won't wake up in the morning, standing at the big pearly gates
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

if you are in a small motorhome which is hermetically sealed, and sleep overnight, is it uncomfortable or dangerous to not have much ventilation ?

Comment

Originally posted by RomaDenizen View Post
          if you are in a small motorhome which is hermetically sealed, and sleep overnight, is it uncomfortable or dangerous to not have much ventilation ?
          I have had quite a few motorhomes over the last 4 decades,and none are hermetically sealed,thats not legal. You must have adequate ventilation and they do.
          stop worrying,they are very comfortable to sleep in,especially Romahomes.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
            Great question - had been wondering the same myself. Thanks, Ian, for the reply.
            I was wondering re how one could ensure adequate fresh air for two people in such a small space, especially if one runs a small heater overnight as some people seem to suggest. At least I now know we won't wake up in the morning, standing at the big pearly gates
            If you do,say hello to my old Dad and tell him I said to show you where the pub is and stand you a round on me,I will pay him back later.

Electric oil filled radiators emit NO fumes at all,they dont "burn" oxygen as in a gas fire.
            If you turn on the cooking unit for heating you should increase the ventilation or you may meet my dad.
            Or,do as KarenW does and cuddle something soft and warm,I leave the choice to you, mines a bacon sandwich!
            Last edited by Ian.C.S; 21-10-2011, 10:58.

Comment

We have replaced the permanent ventilator under the rear door with a sliding vent to try to stop cold draughts especially when needing to use the loo,, even with this fully closed and the fridge vent covers on in winter we still have "through flow" ventilation in our Romahome. We have also made sure that the gap under the fridge is sealed as the fridge inlet and exhaust are and should be direct to the outside.

We have an external silver screen and we usually just leave the cab door windows open a very tiny amount, we don't get a draught here because we have wind deflectors fitted to the doors.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                Or,do as KarenW does and cuddle something soft and warm,
                I wish! There isn't sufficient space in my van for the buns to camp with me so I have to prearrange for their 1.2 x .6m travel cage to reside in another camper's van overnight so they have the benefit instead.....

Comment

I think the latest inputs to this thread are getting too near the mark.Can we stop this now please and stick to the original request.

Admin note: Ian is quite right these posts have been removed.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                    We have replaced the permanent ventilator under the rear door with a sliding vent to try to stop cold draughts especially when needing to use the loo,, even with this fully closed and the fridge vent covers on in winter we still have "through flow" ventilation in our Romahome. We have also made sure that the gap under the fridge is sealed as the fridge inlet and exhaust are and should be direct to the outside.

We have an external silver screen and we usually just leave the cab door windows open a very tiny amount, we don't get a draught here because we have wind deflectors fitted to the doors.

Peter
                    For good reason the vents on boats are inspected for size (area) at high AND low levels as part of the Boat Safety Scheme. The total areas being calculated from the maximum gas consumption (exhaust) possibly produced from all appliances.
                    I suspect that caravans and motorhome manufacturers will apply the same formulae to their ventilation provision, even if only to protect themselves from claims resulting from injury or death.
                    Closing off ANY vent originally fitted could be dangerous if forgotten and left closed by accident when gas appliances are in use. Also any additional gas appliances (gas fire?) may need extra vents fitting.
                    Be careful! Reducing ventilation in any way can be life threatening! As is too often demonstrated among the boating community.
                    Jim.
                    Last edited by Twolitre; 24-10-2011, 11:35. Reason: Another Tie-pin error!
                    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks, Ian. Whilst I'm not at all straight laced, considering myself broad minded, sometimes the humour here does get rather too close to the knuckle, especially where jokes demeaning women are concerned.

Di.

Comment

I agree with Jim that you have to be very careful when modifying ventilation. Fortunately Romahomes do not seem to be very airtight.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                          Thanks, Ian. Whilst I'm not at all straight laced, considering myself broad minded, sometimes the humour here does get rather too close to the knuckle, especially where jokes demeaning women are concerned.

Di.
                          Hello Di

If ever you are offended by a post on here you can always report it and admin and the moderators will be alerted to it.

To report a post just click on the red triangle above the post.

Having said that I am sure that no offence was intended, we get very little trouble with offensive posts but sometimes as Ian quite rightly pointed out they can be a little too near the mark.

Please remember folks to keep your jokes etc., suitable for a family audience and think whether something you post may offend.

I will remove the posts.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Re the 'jokes', I'm pleased such a responsible stance has been taken on this.

They didn't offend me but I have seen similar remarks posted on another motorhoming forum which gradually degenerated, some individual members were blocking the joke-posters and female members in particular could feel quite offended. In this case things went from bad to worse and eventually another 'break-away' forum was created.

Although the comments here were posted in a good-natured and jovial manner with no offence intended, sometimes it can be a fine line. I think this forum sets a higher standard than some others and has a more responsible approach, and the deletion of these comments is indicative of this.

Thank you for taking the stance to ensure that the Small Motorhome (and friends) Forum is always a comfortable place for all of us to be.

Comment

Jumping back a few comments - I am a newbie with C15 romahome - Mini oil filled radiator sounds great but where do you put it when driving and doesn't it get in the way when you are in the galley? and at the risk of inviting all sorts of rude jokes - where do you put your porta potti at night when you have an older romahome (it wouldn't fit into the cupboard and the manual says the proper place is under the bench behind the driver - that's fine but if you want it in the middle of the night - galley floor seems a good place - no room for heater too

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X