Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I barking (chirruping, squeaking etc)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I barking (chirruping, squeaking etc)?

Looking at the actual prospect of going somewhere at last, in the van that we have taken several months and some expense to make self-sufficient and comfortable, I am defeated by the Camping and Caravanning Club booklet "Your Place in the Country", arrived today.

Or I am just stupid?

I have at least skimmed all the large and small text in this document, and still cannot make out what the booklet means by "Site fees 2012 (per pitch per night) Adult (High £a, Mid £b, Low£c): Child (High £d, Mid £e, Low £f)".

Does this mean that campers are charged per person, or per unit? If the charge is per unit (which "per pitch" implies), do you get in for £d, £e or £f if the driver is a child but £a, £b or £c if an adult? If you are booked by the pitch, how can there be separate rates for adults and children, unless these are charged for separately? If campers are charged per person, isn't that grossly unfair to a family that pays (say) four times the price for the same pitch as a single person, while occasioning broadly the same and perhaps exactly the same overheads?

Did yous out there have the same problem as I have? And have you solved it yet? Or are we (two of us) just thick?

Paul.
    Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Hi Paul
    The C&CC charge per person, but the cost depends on the season Low, Medium, High. And there are deals and concessions, have a look here as it might explain it better than the book:
    http://www.campingandcaravanningclub...h.aspx&id=9005
    They are very usefull for the Age Concessions facility, appreciated by many of us. Good luck.
    Colin

Comment

Don't forget a family of 4 will use the facilities e.g. shower, toilets, electricity etc., 4 times as much as a single person and create four times as much rubbish.

I think per person prices are fairer than some sites we have been on where we have a very small pitch and take up very little room but pay the same as a family of 4 or sometimes 6 with a massive caravan.

As Colin says if you are 55 or over you get a discount too.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I don't think it's fair

Thanks for your guidance, Colin and Graham. Looking at the fees, high season first, I thought "this is a rich man's hobby" (having paid for the vehicle and diesel, which put site charges a bit into the shade, of course).

As it happens, there are only two of us, we exceed 55 by a good few years (is there a sliding scale?) and we plan to camp off-season just because we can, and because in-season we can occupy ourselves at the allotment. (We can do this off-season too, but that is another matter).

I just couldn't believe that per-person charging would be implemented, and despite Graham's comments about rubbish etc:
        1) We generate very little rubbish
        2) We have our own ablution facilities
        3) As said we do wash, but with this and drinking, we use very little water (far less than the 25litres we can carry) for a typical long weekend
        4) Wouldn't it be fairer to charge per pitch/vehicle since creating and maintaining the pitches must be the main expense, with a surcharge for occupants over (say) two. Or one, to have an absolutely graduated charging regime.

I understand that many campers will be less frugal than we are, and site operators have to charge to cater for all. But I think my suggestion (4) is fairer and perfectly workable. From notes an various meets, some sites seem to do this.

I wonder whether camper vanners favour the CCC because it is slanted towards low occupancy vehicles? Perhaps that is intentional?

Paul.
        Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

Being contentious, I have never understood why larger families expect the same facilities for all the family at the same price as smaller families, or even single users.
          I did not produce a large family and always have felt aggrieved at paying to subsidise larger families. And that included the abolition of the Poll Tax! Which I felt was much fairer.
          If It was not for the single person charge at C&CC sites I would probably give up caravanning. I could not afford it on my single pension.
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I joined the C&CC because it does charge per person. Although I rarely use sites, I find those which charge per pitch are far too expensive for a solo camper with no need for their 'facilities' and they've priced me out of the market. Some will negotiate but most seem to want in the region of £18-20 for an overnight parking spot - hence for most of the time I wild-camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
              Being contentious, I have never understood why larger families expect the same facilities for all the family at the same price as smaller families, or even single users.
              I did not produce a large family and always have felt aggrieved at paying to subsidise larger families. And that included the abolition of the Poll Tax! Which I felt was much fairer.
              If It was not for the single person charge at C&CC sites I would probably give up caravanning. I could not afford it on my single pension.
              Jim.
              well said Jim I quite agree

Alf

Comment

the two national clubs both have meets and rallys at which the price per unit is usually under £5/night.there are a lot of such meets/rallys,it is not necessary to stop camping in the summer,many certified sites ( the small ones) charge under £5/unit/night.
                Those with Romahomes also can join the Romaclub which has cheap meets/rallys.
                There are other camping groups that also offer cheap sites.

Our hobby need not be expensive.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I've always assumed that, on campsites (especially C&CC sites) the bulk of the fee is is to cover the cost of providing the facilities etc., and only a small fraction for actual "ground-rent". So charges per person seem perfectly logical.

There are two of us, so on average I'd imagine we'll use twice as much showering/washing-up hot water, or cause twice the wear and tear as a singleton.

Though I wouldn't think you can validly equate this sort of discretionary leisure spending with a compulsory tax, despite my having been one of the "winners" in the Poll Tax era.

Whatever, I don't suppose this is the place for philosophical debates on the pros and cons of progressive taxation!

Geoff
                  Geoff

Comment

Come to Barlows, £7 a night without hook up £10 with, to be honest, i find £7 a lot to be self sufficient, i only use the loo during daytime, and just take water on arrival, i want to travel further, but doing high mileage for work, when i get chance to camp, i only want to drive 15 mile and pay £7, am i being tight?
                    Was thinking of joining cand cc, but , being a lone camper, i am having doubts.. but having said that, at Barlows it s £5 a night for a tent, now take into account there is a car parked next to it, my little unit is charged £7 a night.. for taking up his own litle space.. just cos he is classed as a motorhome..
                    Last edited by phoenix; 25-10-2011, 21:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
                      4) Wouldn't it be fairer to charge per pitch/vehicle since creating and maintaining the pitches must be the main expense, with a surcharge for occupants over (say) two. Or one, to have an absolutely graduated charging regime.

Paul.
                      That is EXACTLY how the Caravan Club charge on their sites! Charge per pitch, plus charge per person. Incidentally, there are people on this forum who have moaned about that system in the past. Just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time.

Electricity is included on CC sites, (whether you use or not, so you might as well) and some sites have mid-week discounts, some sites have non electric pitches at cheaper rates. Some CC sites do not have facilities blocks, this suits the more "Wild camper" type, and charges are lower on those sites.

Charges vary according to season, and they have more sites (and Certified Locations) to choose from than the C&CC.

You pay you money and take your choice

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by barry5 View Post
                        That is EXACTLY how the Caravan Club charge on their sites! Charge per pitch, plus charge per person. Incidentally, there are people on this forum who have moaned about that system in the past. Just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time.

Electricity is included on CC sites, (whether you use or not, so you might as well) and some sites have mid-week discounts, some sites have non electric pitches at cheaper rates. Some CC sites do not have facilities blocks, this suits the more "Wild camper" type, and charges are lower on those sites.

Charges vary according to season, and they have more sites (and Certified Locations) to choose from than the C&CC.

You pay you money and take your choice

Barry
                        There are people who moan about any charging system Barry,they seem to think they should camp on sites free from any charge,huh!
                        This is the cheapest way to get out and about,all you need at rock bottom is a bike and a tent.If you buy a motorhome then you expect to go further in greater comfort,the minimum sites are cheap.
                        You are correct in what you say but it wont stop the moaners.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I am all for a pitch fee and then a supplement for number of adults and children.

I certainly don't expect to pay the same for two of us as for a family of 4 or even 5 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                            I am all for a pitch fee and then a supplement for number of adults and children.

I certainly don't expect to pay the same for two of us as for a family of 4 or even 5 or more.
                            That seems to be the sensible solution with which no one can argue!
                            Throughout my life a substantial part of my income has been directed through taxation and charges without any say from me, to the benefit of larger families etc. Who in many cases have been better off financially and some who would have been financially better of with a little more restraint.
                            I have no objections whatsoever to paying my way for me and my modest family. Only a big objection to paying the way for others.
                            Jim.
                            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                              Jim.
                              Same here Jim. Well said.
                              Regards, Robinjim.

Comment