This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undeveloped campsites

Further to my comments on CCC campsites under "Barking, squeaking etc" on this Forum, and my comments just added to the "Let's Meet Up" Forum, I would appreciate advice from like-minded people (if there are any) on how to AVOID all the facilities most motor caravanners seem to want.

We want trees, squirrels, grass, rabbits (on site rather than on our allotment - and I mean wild ones), farm animals provided they are not aggressive, no people in sight except like-minded vanners (and/or Colin, Jim or Ian and Mary plus snakes, and it would be fine to meet Karen too and there are a few others) plus a shop for provisions within walking distance and we don't mind a long walk, and likewise a pub.

I've seen such sites mentioned, but now we need one, I know of no compendium. Examples are pub sites and small farm sites The compendium needs a map since otherwise, finding the places and choosing one, needs a holiday in itself.

A site recommended on this list for instance, however delightful, is no use if it's in the wrong place.

Is there such a compendium?

Paul.
    Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

There are an abundance of "Certifed Sites", many of which will satisfy your requirements. Usually only basic facilities, though some are quite well equipped.
    Lots are in rural areas where there may be not much activity except from rabbits etc. Many enjoy unspoilt views. And they are usually cheap.
    Temporary sites in the back of the CC&C magazines are a good bet and you can be sure of a good reception following "You are invited...". Facilities available (or not) are usually listed.
    I have been to a few and never been disappointed.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 25-10-2011, 15:31.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

As you belong to the C&CC why not look at their CSs (certificated sites), as they are often on farms or behind pubs and are usually quiet and often with no facilities. They all have OS map references to enable you to find them easily and there are maps on the C&CC website.

Comment

I'd agree with this - CLs are the way to go with just a simple field often on a farmer's field, sometimes EHU, loo and shower and usually far more space than a camp site. With just 5 pitches, they're quieter, often in quiet secluded spots and you're tightly packed in as you are on many campsites. They're far more informal than sites and usually cheaper. Both the CC and C&CC maintain lists.

Comment

Certified sites for certified campers?

Thanks for the reference to Certified Sites which I've followed up. That's obviously the way for us to go.

Paul.

Comment

We bit the bullet a couple of years ago and joined the Caravan Club, we were aloready members of the C&CC, just so that we can stay on certifies sites. We only use the C&CC club sites out of season when the seniors discounts kick in, we often stop at Theobalds Park on our way to France. We only use CC club sites in an emergency. Using certified sites at about £5 oper night you can soon recover your membership fee.

Peter

Comment

[QUOTE=karenw;28782] With just 5 pitches, they're quieter, often in quiet secluded spots and you're tightly packed in as you are on many campsites.

Typo? Karen? I think you meant to say you are NOT so tightly packed?

I know you like lots of elbow room
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Found my Big Book

This house has been disarray being full of campervan joinery, some still under construction. Now we're through with the joinery and I've found my C&CC Big Book, still wrapped.

If I'd registered it's importance when it came, and then kept tabs on it, I wouldn't have needed to ask these questions.

Further to Ian's query to Karen, I have another. Karen wrote: "I'd agree with this - CLs are the way to go with just a simple field often on a farmer's field, sometimes EHU, loo and shower and usually far more space than a camp site. With just 5 pitches, they're quieter, often in quiet secluded spots and you're tightly packed in as you are on many campsites. They're far more informal than sites and usually cheaper. Both the CC and C&CC maintain lists".

Further to Ian's query, I'd like to know whether Karen means CSs (Certified Sites) and not "CLs". If you do mean CLs, Karen, what are they?

Thanks to the Wild Campers who've got in touch.

Paul.

Comment

Certified Location is the Caravan Clubs name for small privately owned sites for limited numbers for which they have authority to permit use without planning permission. But only for bona-fide members.

Certified Site is the Caravan and Camping Club name for their version with similar restrictions and also only for members.
                  Jim.

Comment

each of the national clubs has approx 1500 certified sites,thats 3000+ to choose from.
                    the two national clubs both have meets and rallys at which the price per unit is usually under £5/night.there are a lot of such meets/rallys,it is not necessary to stop camping in the summer,many certified sites ( the small ones) charge under £5/unit/night.
                    Those with Romahomes also can join the Romaclub which has cheap meets/rallys.
                    There are other camping groups that also offer cheap sites.

Our hobby need not be expensive.
                    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 26-10-2011, 11:27.
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian STOCKLEY;28799]
                      Originally posted by karenw View Post
                      With just 5 pitches, they're quieter, often in quiet secluded spots and you're tightly packed in as you are on many campsites.

Typo? Karen? I think you meant to say you are NOT so tightly packed?

I know you like lots of elbow room
                      Just testing.....!!

Well spotted and I stand corrected. No I don't like being hemmed in amongst a row of vans either side, in front and behind. I like my space!

Re Certified Sites/Locations - as Twolitre has clarified, I was referring to the 5-pitch, members-only, pitches on private land, eg farms.

I really must re-read my posts before submitting them to ensure they're clear and don't include mis-leading typos!!

Comment

They say that no one should proof-read their own type script Karen.
                        We all have to do it and mostly fall into the trap of reading such as we meant it to be.
                        Probably the main reason for "edits" on here. It certainly leaves me with a lot of "edits". Particularly in respect of tie-pin errors.
                        Whoops! I have edited this!
                        Jim.
                        Last edited by Twolitre; 26-10-2011, 13:32.

Comment

Tie pins?

Have you just stabbed yourself with a digital tie pin, Jim?

Ah! Typing! That took a while.

I have a special button on this machine that shows up each and every typo and solecism instantly. It's labelled "Send".

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
                            Have you just stabbed yourself with a digital tie pin, Jim?

Ah! Typing! That took a while.

I have a special button on this machine that shows up each and every typo and solecism instantly. It's labelled "Send".

Paul.
                            Like it, Paul.
                            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Should I really take this opportunity to point out the continuing mistake within this thread then???? Neither club has certified sites or locations, they have certificated sites and certificated locations.
                              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment