As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

twin1

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    twin1

    I decided, as I had had a really busy day to take the emergency food pack out of the van, give it a try and decide if I would replace it.

    Its a pouch filled with 100% Natural Ingredients.Beef Bolognese with basil and oregano.

    It cooked exactly as stated in the micro,no problems there. it poured easily over the spaghetti.
    As an emergency pack in the van if its raining and you cannot get out it would be OK I guess.

    However, I found it very bland and could not taste oregano.I cannot put my finger on the exact problem, but I have decided not to replace it .I suppose I am used to fresh cooking which I freeze into portions to take with us.
    yes it was worth a try though.

    #2
    Sounds yuck, like you say , would be ok in the van as emergency, how much was it?
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-11-2011, 19:56.

    Comment


      #3
      When I used to go fell walking with my first wife I used to take vesta dry beef currys as emergency,they tasted nothing like a beef curry,but at least they had a definate taste and were quite palatable.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
        When I used to go fell walking with my first wife I used to take vesta dry beef currys as emergency,they tasted nothing like a beef curry,but at least they had a definate taste and were quite palatable.
        Ah yes, I remember Vesta meals, do they still do them I wonder? Paella was my favourite as a teenager, I have since found that it was nothing like real Paella.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Ah yes, I remember Vesta meals, do they still do them I wonder? Paella was my favourite as a teenager, I have since found that it was nothing like real Paella.
          Yes they do still make them. I saw them in the pound shop yesterday. Can't remember how much they were though.

          Comment


            #6
            I'm sure I remember my mum trying to come to terms with lightly frying prawn crackers, whilst the rice boiled and some chicken (style) reconstituted goo bubbled away in another pan! Not sure it was all ready at the same time.
            Can remember it tasted 'foreign' and for that reason alone we were encouraged to think it amazing.... It was new to us kids and therefore fascinating, we knew no better.
            At poundland prices I am prepared to give it another nostalgic try.

            Ahhhhhh fond food memories, heres a few more Jublies, Blackjacks, Mivvies, Treetop orange juice, the introduction of Ski yoghurt, toasted sandwiches, fondues, popcorn (at home!) our first indian and chinese takeaways and Angel Delight!

            All the best
            Andyvan

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by andyvan View Post
              Ahhhhhh fond food memories, heres a few more Jublies, Blackjacks, Mivvies, Treetop orange juice, the introduction of Ski yoghurt, toasted sandwiches, fondues, popcorn (at home!) our first indian and chinese takeaways and Angel Delight!

              All the best
              Andyvan
              Memories, Memories. Lovely Jublie, lovely Jublie orange juice.

              Comment


                #8
                I too have brought in my emergency pack of food and since I have only had to resort to it once in a whole year of camping, I have decided not to buy any more. However the sell by dates are coming up so will have to eat my 'Look What We Found' bolognese and a few more packs of similar sounding delights. Also the first instant mash packs that I have bought since it was advertised by little men from space!

                We did open a can of Waitrose chicken in gravy once and it was awful despite adding an extra stock cube and a tin of peas. It smelled like dog food and tasted not quite as bad.

                As for Vesta, as a teenager, I used to treat myself to a pack of Chow Mein for two and eat it all myself. Sheer decadence and bliss with a rare can of coke and a horror magazine whilst Mum and Dad were at the weekly Whist Drive.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Sidick View Post
                  Yes they do still make them. I saw them in the pound shop yesterday. Can't remember how much they were though.
                  I bought a vesta pack not long ago just to see. I used to love them when they first came out. My palate must have been educated since then however, as this one tasted like cardboard!

                  I remember Ski yoghurts too, and pestering my mum to buy one for me. I hated it as it was very sour tasting. She made me eat it as well, as it was so expensive.
                  Last edited by jayjay; 09-11-2011, 09:35.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    We too have tried various ready meals and self heating meals so far we have found none to our taste we keep an emergency stock of tinned foods soup,beans,fish and tinned fruit and replace before out of date as of yet we have never needed the use of this supply but we keep it in the van anyway as we use the van all year round after drain down we also keep a supply of fresh water as well oh and a full gas bottle

                    Alf

                    Comment


                      #11
                      twin1

                      Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                      We too have tried various ready meals and self heating meals so far we have found none to our taste we keep an emergency stock of tinned foods soup,beans,fish and tinned fruit and replace before out of date as of yet we have never needed the use of this supply but we keep it in the van anyway as we use the van all year round after drain down we also keep a supply of fresh water as well oh and a full gas bottle

                      Alf
                      we too keep a tin supply and hope this year to winter camp too.
                      yes Alf we keep a full gas bottle but also (don't know if I should say this)A bottle of red wine too!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        twin1

                        Originally posted by Flo View Post
                        I too have brought in my emergency pack of food and since I have only had to resort to it once in a whole year of camping, I have decided not to buy any more. However the sell by dates are coming up so will have to eat my 'Look What We Found' bolognese and a few more packs of similar sounding delights. Also the first instant mash packs that I have bought since it was advertised by little men from space!

                        We did open a can of Waitrose chicken in gravy once and it was awful despite adding an extra stock cube and a tin of peas. It smelled like dog food and tasted not quite as bad.

                        As for Vesta, as a teenager, I used to treat myself to a pack of Chow Mein for two and eat it all myself. Sheer decadence and bliss with a rare can of coke and a horror magazine whilst Mum and Dad were at the weekly Whist Drive.
                        would love to hear your spaghetti report!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          twin1

                          Originally posted by phoenix View Post
                          Sounds yuck, like you say , would be ok in the van as emergency, how much was it?
                          Nearly £3 not cheap.No nasties in it though 100% natural. perhaps that's the problem!My taste.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            drive to nearest takeaway

                            Comment

                            320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                            Collapse

                            728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X