This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campsites handy for London

I need to be able to go to the National Archives in Kew fairly urgently.

My dad is 90 at the beginning of December, during WW2 he won a DFM and he cannot remember what it was for (he has Alzheimers), we have the medal but not the citation, his service records including the citation are in the National Archives, I have made enquiries and I can gain access personally or I can pay the Archives (but their response time will make it too late) or I can pay a private researcher. Working out the costs it will be as cheap to come to London and camp for a couple of nights if I can find somewhere to stay that is within easy reach of Kew. I have a bus pass but my wife does not. has anyone got a suggestion for suitable places to stay

Thanks

Peter

Chertsey C&CC site. If I remember right it's not too far to Kew
    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
      Chertsey C&CC site. If I remember right it's not too far to Kew
      Someone may know a better location, but Chertsey is also very close the the M25 with (fairly) easy access from the North.
      I did have a little problem locating it from the CC&C book because the entrance is a rather difficult to spot narrow lane between houses.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

We have used Chertsey, we then drive the short distance to Kew via M25/M3 which runs onto A316 to Kew.
        Nice site on the banks of the Thames.
        Alan

Comment

Chertsey was going to be my first choice as I have been there before, I just wondered if there was anywhere else. Kew by public transport is quite difficult although we have discovered that there is a bus from Hampton Court that terminates outside the National Archives (R68). Our plan at the moment is to drive towards this bus route in the Teddington/Twickenham area, find somewhere to park and finish the journey on the bus. Anyone got any other suggestions

Peter

Comment

Crystal Palace Caravan Club site is 13 miles from Kew according to Google Maps.

Is that any good?

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravan...spx?csid=21863
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We looked at that as well thanks Graham, but the journey is even worse than from Chertsey. We also looked at Abbey Wood because we have stayed there before but we keep coming back to Chertsey

Peter

Comment

We've used Lee Valley, handy if you are North of London. Its possible to cycle in to the city - quite a way though - on a cycle track. The bus journey is lengthy, but pick up point 2 mins from the site entrance. Link Here

remember though, for those of you who have motorhomes older than 2003 to check with the TFL LEZ website or you may just get an unwelcome letter from Herr Boris in the post. TFL LEZ Check
                Last edited by rubberrat; 12-11-2011, 19:53.
                Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

I would suggest Chertsey is the most conveniently placed site for Kew -it is at least on the right side of London.

It would be worth looking at the trains from Staines station (about 3 miles from the campsite) as at least one route from there goes to Kew Bridge station - 10 minutes walk to TNA over the bridge - well signposted. Failing that drive to Kew - TNA has a carpark that certainly used to be free to customers. They also have a very nice cafe and restaurant on site.

Liz

Comment

The drive to Kew from Chertsey is really easy via M3. We have parked in the large open air car park in Richmond which is on the main route to Kew and caught the tube into central London, which stops at Kew tube station.
                    Alan

Comment

Home from trip, only partially successful.

The file at the National Archives contains plenty of information about Dad but the medal citation is not there.

We called at Henley on Thames on our way home to see the pilot of dad's crew, it was a really interesting meeting.

We were disappointed at Chertsey because we had to have electricity, apparently al the non-electric grass pitches were taken out of service for winter on the 31st of October.

I shall be contacting the C&CC as there is no mention in the book.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X