As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isle of Man campsite recommendations anyone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isle of Man campsite recommendations anyone?

Can anyone recommend a site on the Isle of Man? I don't fancy any of those on Ukcampsites - I quite fancy a Spring trip and have never been before. Not during TT time though.

I would ideally like ehu as I'll have to work while away, and also within walking distance of the sea.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Jan

You do realise you will need to brush up on your knowledge of the Manx language, don't you?

Speaking as someone who is one eighth Manx. My late uncle could had basic proficiency in that language as his grandparents were 'proper' Manx. I wonder if there are still any speakers around? It sounded rather like Welsh.

Enjoy your visit - it is a beautiful place. Sorry, but I don't know anything re the campsites there.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I've looked at the campsites on the island and I must admit nothing really inspired me. I have only been once, stayed in a hotel and hired a car. Loved the island, masses to see and do and a really relaxed atmosphere. Would like to go back with the camper van.
      Mary

Comment

i of man

we had 10 days onver thar wild camp all the time we had one small car park with new clean toilets tock kettle hot water on a morning good wash local stop to tork to os did not like on sea side place all locals meet at weekend just wash toiles out tip it all over only one big siper market yes T if u do go let ose no tell u ware to look om denise (diggdeep)

Comment

You can wildcamp in many beautiful places but Glenlough, Peel, Glen Wylin and Sulby Curraghs are the main sites....Sulby is free with a permit from Ramsey town hall

Comment

Thank you diggdeep - yes after posting this I discovered your earlier thread about it, sorry, should have looked first! I've also just discovered how expensive the ferry prices are so I may have to find another plan!

If I decide to make the trip I will certainly come back and ask your advice, , thank you very much for your help.

As I'm on my own I'm not sure I'm ready for wildcamping yet, but will go back and investigate those sites again, thank you Mike.

......and Hi Mary, how's life down the hill in Leek? Things seem to take me the other way into Buxton at the moment, other than a couple of meetings at Moorlands House, though I much prefer Leek (but not the new Asda, it's awful - bring back Netto) - and love the B and M which must be very close to you.

Thanks all for the advice, off to learn the language now!

J

Comment

have just noticed your location 'Beautiful Staffordshire Moorlands in the Peak Park'. Niiicccceee! We should all be coming to wildcamp near you!
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

You'd be very welcome, plenty of space in my garden.

You're not so far away though, in Cheshire, so not much of an adventure for you!

J

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post

......and Hi Mary, how's life down the hill in Leek? Things seem to take me the other way into Buxton at the moment, other than a couple of meetings at Moorlands House, though I much prefer Leek (but not the new Asda, it's awful - bring back Netto) - and love the B and M which must be very close to you.

J
                  We are good, bit cross that winter came on so suddenly, one minute we were sitting in the sun, the next there was a frost over everything. On the plus side, we are already making plans for next year's trips.......

We looked in to Asda just once, totally hated it. Never been to B&M, don't know what they sell! We are Aldi babes through and through, love their cleverly limited options, no nonsense good value products, and checkout staff on speed!!!

Leek is looking rather fine at the moment, quite proud to be living here
                  Last edited by Vanderella; 01-12-2011, 10:24.
                  Mary

Comment

I certainly plan a trip to the Isle of Man in 2012, as ferry fares are so expensive my trip over will be for no less than a month, wild camping is safer especially with a permit from the Town Hall, this alone cuts the overall price down, happy camping. :so happy:
                    Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                    'Live without regrets'

Comment

Hi Jan,
                      I know what you mean about the ferry prices. I would love to go, but they are a bit steep. If you fancy some island life, what about Arran? It's quite a short ferry crossing and much cheaper than the Isle of Man. Have a look at the Calmac website.
                      A few years ago we stayed at Lochranza and Seal Shore sites, both were fine if a little dated. We also wild camped as well, as many seem to do on the islands.
                      Aileen

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
                        Hi Jan,
                        I know what you mean about the ferry prices. I would love to go, but they are a bit steep. If you fancy some island life, what about Arran? It's quite a short ferry crossing and much cheaper than the Isle of Man. Have a look at the Calmac website.
                        A few years ago we stayed at Lochranza and Seal Shore sites, both were fine if a little dated. We also wild camped as well, as many seem to do on the islands.
                        Aileen
                        Shh! Keep Arran quiet

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                          You do realise you will need to brush up on your knowledge of the Manx language, don't you?

Speaking as someone who is one eighth Manx. My late uncle could had basic proficiency in that language as his grandparents were 'proper' Manx. I wonder if there are still any speakers around? It sounded rather like Welsh.

Enjoy your visit - it is a beautiful place. Sorry, but I don't know anything re the campsites there.
                          I guess your uncle would be pleased to know there's quite a revival of Manx going on these days!

Apparently it went extinct as a first language in 1974 when the last native speaker died. According to Wiki, there are reckoned to be about 100 competent speakers now and a lot more with some knowledge.

This could be useful!
                          http://www.learnmanx.com/index.html

I keep meaning to go back, having visited as a child in 1959!

When I mentioned this wish to my octogenarian mother a while back, she said I'd been twice before.
                          I insisted that I could only remember the once, at which point she reduced my adult daughter to helpless laughter by announcing that I'd been conceived on a holiday there!

Geoff
                          Geoff

Comment

Oops, Sorry Mike! Anywhere else we shouldn't recommend, before I do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
                              Oops, Sorry Mike! Anywhere else we shouldn't recommend, before I do it again!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X