As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mains Electric Hook up Leads

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mains Electric Hook up Leads

There has been much discussion on electric heating for motor caravans whatever load of the heater all hook up leads or extension cables should be fully unwound the effect of electricity passing through a coil of cable causes detrimental effect on cable at the worst........ please look at this link and read the report the fire was bad enough but removing the battery from the Smoke Alarm caused 2 deaths
    perhaps the link colud be made a sticky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-15940837

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
    There has been much discussion on electric heating for motor caravans whatever load of the heater all hook up leads or extension cables should be fully unwound the effect of electricity passing through a coil of cable causes detrimental effect on cable at the worst........ please look at this link and read the report the fire was bad enough but removing the battery from the Smoke Alarm caused 2 deaths
    perhaps the link colud be made a sticky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-15940837
    I would second that! I once saw a partly unwound extension lead catch fire! it was under a table in a marquee-could have been catastrophic- luckily no one was hurt! As I understand it a coil of wire with an electric current passing through it is a heating element !!!
    derek b
    derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by derek b View Post
      I would second that! I once saw a partly unwound extension lead catch fire! it was under a table in a marquee-could have been catastrophic- luckily no one was hurt! As I understand it a coil of wire with an electric current passing through it is a heating element !!!
      derek b
      That's almost right Derek, but really it generates an intense fluctuating magnetic field like the primary coil of a transformer, but as there is no secondary coil to absorb the magnetism it is turned into heat to disperse it. The effect is the same though.
      My son fused the together the insulation of all the coils left wound on a reel while using a very low power fan heater once.
      He was one of the lucky ones who learned at only the cost of the cable.
      You see many extra long EHU cables on sites coiled tidily. A bit frightening!
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I support Jim one hundred percent.

I have seen several extension reels damaged by being plugged in and coiled up. Usually by teachers in the schools where I have worked who decided that a technician was not needed although never in the Science or Technology departments. The usual excuse was that uncoiled cables are a trip hazard.

Peter

Comment

The very first time I went camping with EHU (at Wolverley as it happens) I was unsure what to do with the cable as it was overly long - it was the first time I had something with EHU! The warden showed me how to arrange it in long lengths along the side of the campervan.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X