As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission Impossible!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission Impossible!

Hi

Just joined your forum although I have been 'lurking' for a while now. I'm looking for a very particular vehicle and I'm hoping that someone on here will have a suggestion as to where and how I can find what I'm looking for. Basically my ideal van would be a Romahome Duo/ NuVenture Surf type but, and this is a big but, one with an automatic gearbox.

I have chosen the above two types as I want something with a normal car-like driving experience and something that has at the very least a Porta Potti type facility or better still a cassette toilet. At the end of the day my wife and I probably would not want to use the camper for camping but as a portable toilet. Sadly my good lady has mobility issues and we want something that will enable us to get out and explore whilst carrying her folding wheelchair and something that frees us from dependence on finding a public toilet when we need one. As you know these are getting fewer and less well maintained as cuts in spending bite.

As an alternative, can anyone suggest another vehicle that might do the job? It doesn't have to have a bed although a sink and gas ring might be nice but must have the ability to carry a loo of some sort and have enough space for my wife to be able to use it. It must have enough room to carry the folding chair and it must be an automatic. I have looked at what is available and dismissed most vehicles. For instance Kangoo and Doblo based campers are too small inside to maneuver with not enough headroom. Bongo/Freda type vehicles have an awkward step up into the cab which my wife would not be able to manage and VW Transporters are a little on the big side and would have to have the 2.5 litre engine to be fitted with the auto box - heavy fuel consumption and exorbitant road tax.

Oh, and a budget up to about £15K. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Peter in Devon

http://www.poplarmotors.co.uk/

The above link has a few details on the Toyota HiAce MH's - they are all automatic. However, I think I remember that someone on here has a romahome with an auto gearbox fitted, I think they can fit them retro to the newer romas.

Can you apply to your local council for a universal key that fits all mobility loos? The key fits any and all mobility loos in the country, which helps a little bit - until you get a lovely auto camper!

I'd love one of these myself, but would have to win the lotto first!

Comment

You may be hard pushed to get a Romahome that is automatic, what about something like this:

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/hondastepwagon.html
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

twin1

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        You may be hard pushed to get a Romahome that is automatic, what about something like this:

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/hondastepwagon.html
        pretty sure we saw one up at the Roma home factory in Cowes a couple of months ago but cannot remember the exact model.

Oh, and welcome

Comment

The Duo wouldn't work for you as the loo facilities are a bit of a make do for emergency use - sort of posh camping really.
          This Surf is on Fleabay at the moment - Click Link ebay ad -
          Gives you £1000 to get around the auto option.

MMM magazine has an advertiser who does a form of clutchless gearchange conversion, although I have no experience of them or how much of a compromise they are.
          Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Originally posted by rubberrat View Post
            MMM magazine has an advertiser who does a form of clutchless gearchange conversion, although I have no experience of them or how much of a compromise they are.
            I was just going to say the same. They advertise in Practical Motorhome as well. See http://www.carvets.co.uk/7.html.
            I don't know if it's the same system, but http://www.carfi.co.uk/html/autoclutch.html have a system with the same name at £1395 + vat.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi Peter

I think I recognise you from last year - am I right?!

I was browsing Ant's website earlier this week and there's a Romahome Duo HyLo (gives up to 190cm height at rear) with an auto gearbox, 51k on the clock and asking price of £16k. I don't know if the site is up to date - but it could be worth looking at if it's still available, and it's not too far from you.

http://www.avonmotorcaravans.co.uk/m...php?pid=382168

Karen W
              (ex KangooRoo owner in Ross-on-Wye)

Comment

Mission Impossible

Hi Graham

I like it, I like the Honda Stepwagon. I have a soft spot for Hondas as I have a Honda Jazz CVT Sport and the Stepwagon seems to tick a lot of boxes. I need to find one locally now to look at to make sure my good lady can get in and out comfortably.

Good thinking, that man.

Peter in Devon

Comment

Mission Impossible

Hi Rubberat

Many thanks for your input. I had already seen the Surf on e-Bay but discounted it because the inside is in a bit of a shabby state - carpet filthy, sink chipped etc. And it's not an automatic. Shame really because the price is good and it's a vehicle I like with a cassette toilet in its own compartment. On that subject why do you say that the type of toilet in the Romahome [Porta Potti?] is a bit of a make do for emergency use. That's exactly what we want it for and surely it must be better than going behind a hedge.

Cheers

Peter in Devon

Comment

Mission Impossible

Hi Jim D

Hmm, interesting the Autoclutch. I've never seen or heard of the like before but then I've lead a very sheltered life. Many thanks for this.

Peter in Devon

Comment

Mission Impossible

Hi Karen

Yes you are right, I enquired about your Roo when you were selling him last year and in some ways I am kicking myself for not making an offer as he was just exactly right in so many ways. Except that I think my wife would not have been able to move around in the confined space in the back and the headroom even with the roof up would have been a problem. If only.

Many thanks for the link to Avon Motorcaravans. This looks very promising although a little more than we would want give. Still we could at least P/X our Honda Jazz which would offset the cost a bit.

Nice to catch up with you again, hope your bunnies are all well.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Hi Karen

Yes you are right, I enquired about your Roo when you were selling him last year and in some ways I am kicking myself for not making an offer as he was just exactly right in so many ways. Except that I think my wife would not have been able to move around in the confined space in the back and the headroom even with the roof up would have been a problem. If only.

Many thanks for the link to Avon Motorcaravans. This looks very promising although a little more than we would want give. Still we could at least P/X our Honda Jazz which would offset the cost a bit.

Nice to catch up with you again, hope your bunnies are all well.

Peter
                        Hi Peter

Nice to hear from you again - and the buns are all fine and furry!

The Roo moved to Bristol but may soon be on the market again because the couple and dog who adopted him need something larger to tow their caravan.

The headroom is surprising but I accept it may be awkward for your wife to move around. However, the loo is at the widest point of the van so it may be suitable for her and with easy access through the wide side-sliding door. The best thing would be for her to have a look around inside one.

The £16k Romahome is pricey but they do tend to hold their value so, in a few years' time, you may find you recoup a high percentage of your outlay. It's this reasoning which swayed me to buy one, which is waaaay over my intended budget, just this week!

Good luck with your search. If I can help in any way, I'd be glad to.

Karen

Comment

Mission Impossible

Hi Karen

I'm very envious of your Romahome purchase. I shall be watching the 'Romahome' page on this forum for news of the arrival of the camper and to follow your adventures in it.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            Hi Karen

I'm very envious of your Romahome purchase. I shall be watching the 'Romahome' page on this forum for news of the arrival of the camper and to follow your adventures in it.

Peter
                            I've almost bought it, but not quite. I'm away in my Kangoo panel van shivering at Stonehenge until Monday (and it is very C-O-L-D!). It's reserved for me until then pending my deposit payment upon my return.

Comment

The autoclutch is a well known addition to a lot of motobilty cars for those who have problems with their left leg.

As I understand it can be moved from car to car.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X