This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior double glazing

I have some perspex 'glass' that i wish to cut into shape and use to 'double glaze' the interior windows of my van/car.

Looking to tint these for extra privacy. Would like them to be semi-permanent, but remove-able. I will remove them for the MOT and when i dispose of the vehicle - hopefully to put them up again in the next vehicle. Ideally with at least an inch between these window panes and the original windows. Good for improving sound and heat insulation and the control of condensation.
    Question : Has anybody done this ? What ideas for attaching these to the interior ? Up against Metal or fabric, depending. Thanks

seems a good idear would it not be cheaper to buy some custom made sunblinds I seen someone on ebay who made custom size blinds (the black sunshade type)

also what about pre smoked perspex save on the tinting

Daz

Comment

Make sure the tint you put on is legal.

Comment

Making removable silver screens might be easier - they provide insulation and can be added/removed as required.

Comment

silver screens and blinds are good when trying to sleep, but not so useful when trying to drive or sit in the back and lunch while enjoying the view. If its only the rear windows & side windows then i believe its legal.
          The problem is how to affix them. Velcro seems too flimsy and its wet-glue-side is sensitive to hot weather.
          It seems sacrilige to drive screws into the insides of my vehicle (and maybe too difficult) , Magnets ? not too sure. One possibility is to encircle the perimeter of the window insides with a border of foam (about the thickness of a bounty bar) and then to stick the perspex to that) - such a possibility would not work with windows you wish to ever open however.
          any other ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by RomaDenizen View Post
            If its only the rear windows & side windows then i believe its legal.
            Not the front side windows, only ones behind the driver's head.

Comment

Originally posted by RomaDenizen View Post
              The problem is how to affix them. Velcro seems too flimsy and its wet-glue-side is sensitive to hot weather.
              It seems sacrilige to drive screws into the insides of my vehicle (and maybe too difficult) , Magnets ? not too sure. One possibility is to encircle the perimeter of the window insides with a border of foam (about the thickness of a bounty bar) and then to stick the perspex to that) - such a possibility would not work with windows you wish to ever open however.
              any other ideas ?
              Blu-Tak?!

I'm still not really sure what benefit you'll gain from the DIY double-glazing, however...?? If you're seeking privacy then a cheap tint should do the job; insulation - silver screens will help..

Comment

I tried making secondary glazing for our Japanese imported Motorhome as it had glass single glazed windows and suffered condensation in winter. I cut a piece of Perspex to shape, eventually, and then ran a strip of self adhesive insulation strip around the edge. My initial plan was to use turn buckles to hold the window in place, using the screw that originally held the windows in place but decided that I probably wouldn't need to remove the secondary glazing that often so I just screw it in place. I only did the one, the Perspex cracked the first time I drove the van, I probably put it too tight but we sold the van before I got around to doing anymore!

Maybe double sided self adhesive insulation strip would hold it tight enough??
                Or how about looking at the command strips range to see if anything could be utilised?
                Last edited by glenw; 08-12-2011, 17:01.
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I've made diy double glazing for my bedroom windows at home and velcro was fine - not dots but long strips all round. Good insulation and good visibility and I remove it during the summer. However I'm not bothered about people seeing in so haven't tried a tint. You can get that sticky backed stuff to stick on bathroom windows - I think there are patterns too if you like that sort of thing - so maybe you could try that.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X