This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the worst thing you have done leaving a camp

in a romahome it must be the most easy to set up shop(local term)on any campsite me and Shirley love have it down to a :T:.Its take time to get a good spot sunshine in mind if any then .........GO......electric on kettle on step and mats in place....corner steadies down ...silverscreen.....nice cup of tea thanks Shirley.However leaving is another matter the worst i have done is leave the hook up cover up and it blew off and cost £7 to replace.A friend of ours drove away in a c15 with steadies down dragging gravel and grass and a lady up the road drove off in France dragging the hook up post behind her . Have you done any thing like that? ......own up time ...........Mark

i must add one Shirley reminded of as her Brother once drove away from Tewksbury cc site and left his sun bed behind as it was under his Ford auto sleeper and he had to go back 3 days later.One more last week in Wells holiday park the previous Caravan had left their jute mat and floor blocks for corner steadies....i left our step behind at home and went to Long leatcc site but they lent me one as they had aspare 8 steps left by members that was last summer it happens .......quite a lot!!

Comment

Nothing serious, but driving away in a semi-circle my wife said "Look, some idiot has left a step behind........................".
      On another occasion with a caravan, I was troubled with an intermittent growling noise as I drove along. Surprisingly, it was much quieter when I raised the jockey wheel. But then it afterwards went thump, thump, thump when I wheeled the caravan around manually.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
        Nothing serious, but driving away in a semi-circle my wife said "Look, some idiot has left a step behind........................".
        On another occasion with a caravan, I was troubled with an intermittent growling noise as I drove along. Surprisingly, it was much quieter when I raised the jockey wheel. But then it afterwards went thump, thump, thump when I wheeled the caravan around manually.
        Jim.
        Ive done the same thing. I hooked up in the dark and left the jockey wheel down but I was towing with a Transit so didn't hear or feel a thing. There was no sign of a tyre and the rim was bent almost beyond recognition.
        Maybe that's why caravan dealers carry such a large stock of spare jockey wheels!

Peter

Comment

My sister had four brand new super expensive reclining chairs, (you know the sort that claim to have used NASA technology in the design!). As she only needed two, she very generously gave two to us......... A couple of weeks later when leaving a site they managed to squash their two flat by driving over them in their new super expensive Hymer!! Not even NASA technology could withstand that!

Truth be told we did not really like the chairs, not quite our thing, and we were happy to return them!
          Mary

Comment

No disasters worth mentioning leaving the site - yet..... MY biggest camping disaster was whilst camping with a trailer tent....

Guess who went on holiday camping, with tent and forgot the tent pegs?

It was an interesting holiday....... fine fortunately for the most part of the fortnight but one night the winds got up...... human tent pegs were needed.. otherwise known as hang on to the flippin tent.

That is the origin of my sign on name

Comment

I drove away from Kingsbury Water Park to Collect my Sylvia fromTamworth City train station. I later realised I had forgotten my 18ft sea kayak and was worried Ian S would take it for a blast on the canal never to be seen again, or something like that.

Comment

We thought it very odd that so many fellow caravanners were waving so enthusiastically as we drove off a field from a THS years ago, then I noticed (from the passenger seat) we'd left the step and mat, and the caravan door was swinging wildly as we'd left it open.

Not many months afterwards, we over compensated. Husband locked and shut caravan door - my handbag with keys was still inside and he'd left his at home. 40 miles away. So the kids and I waited with a very kind lady in her small motorhome (she was the only one left on site). I think it may have been the first Romahome I ever went in, although it could have been a Bambi or something else.

Did once start to move a motorhome with the EHU attached, saw it in my mirror and stopped quickly - but I have seen others do it more spectacularly.

Quite a few times I've left the dog twisty stake and leads behind, still screwed into the ground.

Once I forgot to attach the breakaway cable on a caravan, luckily I stopped and checked after about a mile 'cos I couldn't remember doing it.

I drove a few miles with the handbrake still on, on a folding camper - realised something was not right when the car really struggled up the first hill we came to.

Quite a few times I've had to buy more dog twisty stake thingies and tie out leads because they've been left behind.
                Last edited by Caz; 13-01-2012, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                  We thought it very odd that so many fellow caravanners were waving so enthusiastically as we drove off a field from a THS years ago, then I noticed (from the passenger seat) we'd left the step and mat, and the caravan door was swinging wildly as we'd left it open.

Not many months afterwards, we over compensated. Husband locked and shut caravan door - my handbag with keys was still inside and he'd left his at home. 40 miles away. So the kids and I waited with a very kind lady in her small motorhome (she was the only one left on site). I think it may have been the first Romahome I ever went in, although it could have been a Bambi or something else.

Did once start to move a motorhome with the EHU attached, saw it in my mirror and stopped quickly - but I have seen others do it more spectacularly.

Quite a few times I've left the dog twisty stake and leads behind, still screwed into the ground.

Once I forgot to attach the breakaway cable on a caravan, luckily I stopped and checked after about a mile 'cos I couldn't remember doing it.

I drove a few miles with the handbrake still on, on a folding camper - realised something was not right when the car really struggled up the first hill we came to.

Quite a few times I've had to buy more dog twisty stake thingies and tie out leads because they've been left behind.
                  What a busy and exciting life you lead!
                  Mary

Comment

I have done stupid things like leave the handbrake on when using the motor mover and things like that but have never ever left anything behind.

I always without fail pull away from the pitch then stop and check for anything left behind (including litter). It's just automatic as is checking rear lights.
                    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

The reason most of these daft things happen is that fellow-campers who have done nothing but smile politely at you all week suddenly decide they want to have a long chat JUST AS YOU ARE TRYING TO LEAVE, despite the fact that you have tried to start conversations with them for the past seven days with no result. My husband and I were mostly caravanners in those years, and as soon as we started to wind up the steadies or check the lights, up they would amble with cheerful grins so you invariably lost track of what you were doing. Maybe they were just glad we were going!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                        I have done stupid things like leave the handbrake on when using the motor mover and things like that but have never ever left anything behind.

I always without fail pull away from the pitch then stop and check for anything left behind (including litter). It's just automatic as is checking rear lights.
                        That's what I do! Just pull clear of the pitch, put the handbrake on, then walk back and check that everything is onboard.

The most stupid thing I ever did was to try and connect up the caravan hitch to the tow ball without taking off the dust cover! All the while wondering why on earth the two wouldn't join up together! In my defence I have to say it was the first time I had ever hitched up anything in my life! And another time (witnesses this time, at a SMH meet) I tried to tow the caravan away with the car handbrake on!:

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X