This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awnings

I read all the above with interest as I have just received my Awning from Ant in Bristol, specially made for the Romahomes, on inspection quite well made though rather heavy, comes with a toilet tent, curtains pegs etc. though I will use heavy duty screw in pegs for grass and hard standing pitches, Wolverley will be my first outing with it, just hope all goes well on my first time out.
    Watch this space? :confused1: Help may be needed!
    Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
    'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by bryanmole View Post
      I read all the above with interest as I have just received my Awning from Ant in Bristol, specially made for the Romahomes, on inspection quite well made though rather heavy, comes with a toilet tent, curtains pegs etc. though I will use heavy duty screw in pegs for grass and hard standing pitches, Wolverley will be my first outing with it, just hope all goes well on my first time out.
      Watch this space? :confused1: Help may be needed!
      Well, there will be plenty of ppl around to give you a hand, Brian!

I've put my movelite up before, but not on this caravan, so a bit similar. I hope it fits!!!

Gorgeous Awning by the way, Dabs!

Comment

Bit too late for this thread, but this is the one i bought for mine.....

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/camp...ls-j13641.html

and here it is on the rear of Buzz!!

http://www.jiffyregister.fotopic.net/p19902794.html

Almost doubles the room, and if its only two of us, then we slept in the awning and didnt use the bed in the Camper, just used it as a lounge!!
        JIFFY REGISTER - Click Here
        BBQ - Our other Hobby

Comment

Graham? At the meet this month. This would be an ideal opportunity to video all those putting up their driveaway awnings!!!!!! For future reference of course.
          Jessie

Comment

I reckon AFTER the huge amounts of alcohol have been consumed!! Lol!!!
            JIFFY REGISTER - Click Here
            BBQ - Our other Hobby

Comment

after reading this thread can i ask is anyone able to erect a movelite square awning on their own?? I will be a solo camper most of the time and need something i can erect on my own to give my dog some space .. or will i need to rely on the help of friendly campers?
              I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
              http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

I would say yes, with practice, 1 person can put the movelite up. I managed it once or twice, but then i'm 5'11 which probably helps. Jayjay will tell you if she has managed it alone, she's shorter than me!!!
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Thanks Glen, will look out for JayJay... (and I'm only little too at 5ft 2') but I got a step

Comment

Originally posted by Minimouse View Post
                    Thanks Glen, will look out for JayJay... (and I'm only little too at 5ft 2') but I got a step

You need long arms too!!! The biggest problem is trying to stop the pins from falling out of the end of the poles before you try to flex it into shape and then the actual flexing of the poles. hard to explain unless you've got the awning in front of you and I can't find any video instructions anywhere, I searched not that long ago for someone else on here!! It definately is much easier as a 2 man job. I think if I was regulalrly going to be a 'solo' (and still owned the movelite and a van to put it on!!) I would consider a different awning or if its just storage you want, a pop up tent.
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...base+tent&aq=f

hello minimouse.

It was me that glenw helped! It was like something out of a comedy sketch watching me and hubby!! Glenw was most helpful giving us instruction. If he hadn't it would probably be still sitting in it's bag!! We did manage it when we arrived on site but made a point of doing so when it looked like the coast was clear . As glenw says, I am sure there would always be a friendly person to help when on site if you were struggling. My hubby likes the movelite as with practice it gets easier but it's different when you are on your own. I remember seeing somewhere another motorhomer using a Quechua base tent (link: which i hope works, the bright green one with the tutorial,one of these, maybe it would be easier. (more said than done maybe!!) We are toying with the idea more for a quick convenience especially if on a short stay.

Last edited by jessiem; 28-04-2010, 08:26.
                      Jessie

Comment

Hello Minimouse,
                        I also was considering a small movelite, as I am now solo and our old free standing awning was not designed for a roma, and is seriousley heavy. But I watched a chap fight to put up a movelite on his own, those bendy poles require more puff than I can summon up nowadays, and as glen says they kept coming unhooked from the corners of the base each time he tried.
                        Maybe there is a way round that bit of the problem, the unit is certainley lightweight, but will it stand up to high winds, you cant fit storm straps I believe,(someone will correct me I hope). At the recent meet Brian had the roma awning, expensive, not light, but one person can do it - he is a big strong lad though!
                        So, I am still undecided, and doing without is not too bad for one, and no wet canvas to deal with. I hope we find an answer to this question.Spring mornings sitting in the awning, watching the mist lift, with a cup of coffee. - my idea of heaven, and It means I can leave the bed made up and still have a parlour.
                        Goodluck,
                        Ian
                        Last edited by Ian.C.S; 28-04-2010, 10:03.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

motorhme awnings

Hi

I have a movelite square which I have used and of course it is a treat to have the extra space and that tent camping feel which I miss sometimes.

I would not try to put it up alone though. Being a shortie and wanting the least hassle while camping I also bought an Outdoor revolution Outhouse which is like a double sized toilet tent. It is easy to put up and has a window in the back and is perfect for sitting out if it is rather chilly or using for cooking, storage of bike, chairs or as a toilet tent/washroom.

Mostly I just put up two small cheapo windbreaks either side of the door and a sun parasol which is enough to give me the outside space with a little shelter from the sun and cool breezes.

One of my best buys was a little umbrella stand which is basically a metal spiked tube whuch you bang into the ground and just drop the sun umbrella into. I bought it at the camping shop in Lyndhurst but have never seen them anywhere else. When I go back to the New Forest I will definately try to buy another as they are so useful

Lizzie

Comment

well this is another thing to play by ear then and see how things go .. maybe wait till i see someone struggling with one and see if i could reach

Comment

Well I'm 5ft tall, and can put up a movelite by myself! (Not the XL, I hasten to add, just the small or square one!) I also have back probs, so I take it in easy stages if by myself. Actually erecting it is no problem, it's hammering in the pegs I have probs with! (About to take up Bryan's suggestion - screw in tent pegs/recarchable drill with bit).

If on my own with the dog for a few days I wouldn't bother, but just take the Gelert popup tent to throw things in out of my way. However for a stay of 4 days or more, I'd definately put it up.

It's very confusing at first, but after a few goes, it's very easy! Love mine, wouldn't be without it

ETA - I use the step in order to reach the out-of-reach bits, and also used to use the back skylight to trap the hoodie bit in when I had a romahome. It's even easier now I have the Kip van, slides into the back awning rail, then you pop the roof!
                              Last edited by jayjay; 28-04-2010, 21:31.

Comment

Thank you .. will go and have a look at the local camping shop and see if they have one erected i can check out .. have previously erected tents alone so could be ok with practice..

Comment