As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government confirms new breathalyzer law

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Published: 01 Mar 2012 12:56 GMT+1

The French government announced officially on Thursday that all cars must carry a single-use breathalyzer kit from July 1st.

The move, which has been widely reported for some time, was made official in a decree on February 28th and published on Thursday.

"Every driver of a motorised land vehicle, excluding mopeds, must possess an unused and immediately available breathlyzer," said the decree, published in the official gazette ("Journal Officiel de la République Française").

Transport ministry officials told The Local that the rule would apply equally to vehicles from outside France.

July and August are busy months on the French roads as millions of French people and tourists head for their holiday destinations.

A fine of €11 ($15) will be charged to anyone not carrying the breathalyzer kit, but police have been told to start fining only from November 1st.

The new law is the latest attempt to reduce France's road accident rate.

Around 4,000 people died on French roads in 2011, a very slight improvement on the figure for the year before.

Drink driving is believed to be responsible for one in three road deaths.

The government hopes having a kit in the car will allow people to test themselves and to give them the means to test others if they suspect they are over the limit.

The legal blood alcohol limit in France is 0.5 grams per litre.

The single-use tests cost between €0.50 and €1.50 and manufacturers are rushing to produce enough to meet expected demand.

President Nicolas Sarkozy promised the measure in November in the hope of slashing drink driving, responsible for 31 percent of fatal road accidents.

Disposable breathalysers have been available in French bars and nightclubs since then.

New coaches have been equipped with breathalyser tests that prevent drivers starting the ignition since January 2010. The devices are to be installed in all coaches by the start of the 2015 school year.

A total of 3,970 people died on French roads in 2011, down barely 0.5 percent or 22 lives compared to 2010.

When Sarkozy came to power in 2007 he set the government the ambitious target of reducing annual road deaths to 3,000 by 2012.

The new breathalyzer requirement will be added to the existing rules compelling drivers to carry a warning triangle and a fluorescent safety vest. Failure to have these in the car can lead to a €90 fine.

More information is available, in French, on the website of the government road safety agency, Sécurité Routière.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Ooooh Ian, you know I drink like a fish - only coffee instead of water!
    I am already wondering where I will stow everything on my motorbike for my trip to France and Spain in May. Luckily the red triangle does not apply to motorbikes. At first I thought I would end up wearing that round my neck!
    I'm rather miffed! It is not my fault if the French drink too much!
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
      Ooooh Ian, you know I drink like a fish - only coffee instead of water!
      I am already wondering where I will stow everything on my motorbike for my trip to France and Spain in May. Luckily the red triangle does not apply to motorbikes. At first I thought I would end up wearing that round my neck!
      I'm rather miffed! It is not my fault if the French drink too much!
      Jim.
      I posted this because it will apply to you and many others,I believe Halfords sell single use breathalysers.Anyone going to,or passing through France must have one.

Comment

If I don't die before the summer I'll be going down to France again as I miss my homeless alcoholic friends and my wealthy business friends too.

I'll just buy something off ebay

Comment

I was talking to someone recently about the days before drink driving laws, he told me despite his driveway being 22ft wide he still managed to demolish the gate post on 2 occasions after a night out, he said "ee I still can't believe it-in those days I was the best drunk driver in Barnsley" !!!!!
          derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
            I posted this because it will apply to you and many others,I believe Halfords sell single use breathalysers.Anyone going to,or passing through France must have one.
            I'm still miffed that the French Government are able to make me spend money on something for which I have no use. But then I suppose every Law everywhere is because of abusers!
            Jim.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that with us Ian.
              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
              'Live without regrets'

Comment

I'm still miffed that the French Government are able to make me spend money on something for which I have no use. But then I suppose every Law everywhere is because of abusers!
                Jim.
                A complete waste of money for me too.

Comment

In the same vein. I believe that all motorists must carry hi-vis jackets too.
                  I normally do wear a sleeve;ess hi-vis over vest when on my 'bike anyway, but I have been told it must have long sleeves.
                  Anyone up to date on that?
                  I have discovered that motorcyclists do not need to carry warning triangles. Thank goodness!
                  By the way Karen, I imagine the breathyliser kits have a time expiry. will we need a new one every time we go abroad?
                  Jim.
                  Last edited by Twolitre; 02-03-2012, 17:07.

Comment

Hello Jim
                    Have you seen this about not being allowed into French cities with a motorbike older than 2004?
                    http://ukfrancebikers.com/
                    Seems French bikers are demonstrating in large numbers. By the way, Halfords is selling hi vis vests for use in France and none of them have sleeves.
                    Colin

Comment

In the same vein. I believe that all motorists must carry hi-vis jackets too.
                      I normally do wear a sleeve;ess hi-vis over vest when on my 'bike anyway, but I have been told it must have long sleeves.
                      Anyone up to date on that?
                      I have discovered that motorcyclists do not need to carry warning triangles. Thank goodness!
                      By the way Karen, I imagine the breathyliser kits have a time expiry. will we need a new one every time we go abroad?
                      Jim.
                      The single use breathalysers last two years.

Comment

french breathalysers.

If we need to carry any more stuff,to visit France some of us maybe overwieght.I think visiting french vehicles should carry a TURNIP and a straight carrot.

Comment

What you need to remember is that you will need to carry TWO of these, because as soon as you use one to "self test" you haven't got an "unused" one with you.

Then you have to remember to replaced the used one before you need it again !

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                            What you need to remember is that you will need to carry TWO of these, because as soon as you use one to "self test" you haven't got an "unused" one with you.

Then you have to remember to replaced the used one before you need it again !
                            True for some perhaps. But if like me you don't need to use the first one even that one is a resented expense. Jim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X