As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mice!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mice!

My daughter found her caravan had been invaded by mice during the winter. No food had been kept in the van but they had had a good feed from a pillow that had been left stored inside a thick plastic bag. They had even got in the fridge - horrible thought! The mess and smell they have left is awful. Have put traps down but the mice just push them aside and continue with living happily in the bunks. Don't want to use poison as it would be awful if they died somewhere in the van. Has anyone any brilliant ideas on how to make the unwelcome lodgers leave?

Originally posted by nutshell View Post
    My daughter found her caravan had been invaded by mice during the winter. No food had been kept in the van but they had had a good feed from a pillow that had been left stored inside a thick plastic bag. They had even got in the fridge - horrible thought! The mess and smell they have left is awful. Have put traps down but the mice just push them aside and continue with living happily in the bunks. Don't want to use poison as it would be awful if they died somewhere in the van. Has anyone any brilliant ideas on how to make the unwelcome lodgers leave?
    Borrow a cat ...........!
    Mary

Comment

Originally posted by nutshell View Post
      buy some humane traps,these dont kill they simply trap and you release the little blighter elsewhere,so no dead bodies to smell.
      OR, a breakback trap baited with kitkat chocolate rarely fails and you dont have a hidden body. Are you sure its mice? not a rat? bigger trap needed if so.
      Mouse poo is this big 888, rat poo is this big 888888
      Last edited by Ian.C.S; 12-03-2012, 20:43.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

If you aren't bothered about killing them - use metal "self set" traps, lace them with small chunk of Mars bar. Keep re-setting them until they go 72 hours without catching any and you should be clear.

They have a sweet tooth and much prefer chocolate to cheese. We get invaded in the house occasionally, and once I had one in my car - which had eaten a tube of spearmint Polos - but ignored the sugarfree ones!

It's usually because the cat brings a live one in and lets it go that we get invaded.

Comment

As Ian says, check the size of their droppings to be certain they are mice and not rats (rat droppings are about 10-20mm; mice - much smaller).

I've dealt with several ratty visitors including a young litter born in a burrow in the garden. The babies had a very sweet tooth, were coaxed out with hand-fed yogurt drops and once I'd built up their trust, they were rapidly dispensed with.

In a van, I would opt for snap-traps. Leave them baited but unset for a few days to build their confidence (if your visitors are rats) and then set them.

Rats find Mars bars very hard to resist. Mice are less choosey!

Comment

As said above, chocolate is the bait! Cheese and mice seems to be a fallacy.
            I had my river cruiser invaded once, they must have clambered up the mooring lines.
            They ignored traps baited with cheese, chocolate buttons in the traps soon cleared them out.
            Jim.
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

And if the mice are clever like ours were, and learn how to nick the chocolate without the trap going off, use chocolate spread to stick the chocolate drops to the trap if you are using humane trap make sure you let them free a good distance from home otherwise they will head straight back. I used to take them to a local field that I knew a barn owl frequented.
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                if you are using humane trap make sure you let them free a good distance from home otherwise they will head straight back. I used to take them to a local field that I knew a barn owl frequented.
                Glen, that is so funny - humane trap + barn owl = field sports.

Comment

Mice

Hi We had a friend who's motor caravan had a mice invasion it cost £5500 to have units and upholstery replaced. When setting traps wash traps first use rubber gloves to avoid human scent when setting traps bait with chocolate and fasten to trap with 5a fuse wire when satisfied all mice are caught ( leave small pieces of chocolate loose not in traps to see if they are taken )

give caravan a good spring clean if parked away from home buy 1 or 2 battery operated electronic mouse deterrents from B & Q if parked at home consider using Mains version via the electric hookup lead.

Alf

Comment

I'm surprised we don't get mice in the van with the amount of cake crumbs I drop.

The only experience we had of mice was at our old house, I set a trap in the kitchen baited with cheese, walked into the living room and heard the trap snap shut, went back and a mouse was trying to scrabble under the fridge with the trap firmly shut on its tail.
                    Graham
                    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Years ago, when I worked on an archaeological excavation we found a mouse nest full of babies in the grill of our cooker in the site office. We carefully removed it and repositioned it in a cornfield about a mile away. Three or four days later it was back, unfortunately (or fortunately whichever way you look at it) half the babies had been killed in the toing and throwing process, and I still feel sad about it!

However, if they were in MY CAMPERVAN then it would be all out war
                      Mary

Comment

Mice!

Thanks for all the advice which I've passed on to my daughter. It seems we were going wrong, baiting the traps with cheese. Chocolate will now be our ultimate weapon! Have also been told that chocolate with 70% cocoa content is lethal for them. Also, instant mashed potato granules, if eaten by the mouse, will swell up and .....end of mouse!

Comment

yuk!!!
                          anyway how do they get in caravans in the first place?
                          Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                            yuk!!!
                            anyway how do they get in caravans in the first place?
                            they have a key!
                            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

get back to yer Bells Ian
                              Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X